Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout PS Game 2 analysis ...

August 22, 2021 03:09PM
So first I want to say that it was a really good looking game for the preseason and what in effect is our third team offense and defense. Guys that might not make out team put on a show ... minus the penalties of course. I expect penalties in preseason, but I don't expect high level of execution by guys who will now be poached form our roster. Our DBs and WRs are going to be on other teams.
I'd honestly be looking for trade partners for late round picks for them.

Not going to number it, just going player by player ...

1) Garrett. After we drafted him I went and watched his highlights. My shock was not that he beat people a lot, it was that his speed was so other worldly and his change of direction so shocking that people might not even get a hand on him.
So, could he pull that off against better competition? The answer is yes. They might not have been first teamers (Though he made plays against Leatherwood) but they were NFL quality talent.
Also ... have to note this ... the ability to "strike" a football in the air rather than just "putting your arms up" is significant. Curious if anyone else noticed that. I want him dressed and in sub packages week 1. And the FF chop reminded me of Robert Quinn. Like Does Peterman still have an arm from the elbow down? Not sure until he gets up. Note, this gives us two players on the line that can beat you before you're out of your stance.

2) The backup DTs ... Banks, Hoecht and Jonah Williams. I'm sad we're likely going to lose two of them. I think Williams is the best of the bunch, but I'd love to PS Ernest Brown and keep them all active. They've outplayed Bobby Brown, but yes he's a rookie. They're all physical freaks and they've grown into the position. Wish we could get picks for guys we lose like this, too lol. Maybe trade one to NE for Sony Michel?

3) I want to keep JR Reed. I also want to keep Juju Hughes. Doubt we can keep both. That and Harris I thought played solid ... wealthy.

4) I am not sure why Alaric Jackson isn't getting more love. He started out by handling Clelin Farrel and then just walled off his guys for 60 minutes.

5) Jordan Meredtih I thought played great next to him and the left side was just solid while the right side with Evans and Brewer were unsteady.

6) Can someone tell me how Shelton looked? I mostly ignored him watching the sides.

7) Did Hopkins recover? Can Blanton be snuck onto the PS? I feel like the latter is true.

8) Perkins was impressive. I'ma UVA fan and had seen flashes, but to see him calm with shoebox accuracy at times was surprising. Command of the offense. Can he be stashed on the PS? Red zone poise and calm was impressive. Was thinking he'd be a championship level XFL player.

9) The RBs looked better with some improved run blocking (again, Mostly Meredith and Jackson from what I saw)... specific note on Funk .. when he sees a lane he gets to full speed in the backfield. Saw that from him at MD as well. Didn't expect it so fast here. I still think we need a castoff looking to remake his career for insurance.

10) Koski and Akers. Amendola was cut before coming to us and having a long career. I'd love to stash them, just doubt it's possible that we can keep 275 players.

11) Okay so Tutu had some wear and tear issues ... so let's like ... not have him play every snap? That wasn't the plan for him I thought? And blocking for a screen? Yeah let's not do too much of that, because his ankles get him separation.

12) Warner we should be ale to hide and stash. He flashed and is a specimen, but he's not playing at JR Reed's level.

13) Just saw Calais broke his foot ... definitely hunting RBs now.

I am really sad for the coaches that have to make cuts. We're basically becoming a farm team for NFL talent.

Anyone that needed mentioning I didn't get to?

oh yeah it was goof to see Howard and Burgess on the field, even briefly.

Questions and comments welcome ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 03:10PM by alyoshamucci.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout PS Game 2 analysis ...

alyoshamucci523August 22, 2021 03:09PM

Re: Blinkscout PS Game 2 analysis ...

BerendsenRam226August 22, 2021 03:17PM

Rams43221August 22, 2021 04:00PM

Hopkins vs Blanton

3030290August 22, 2021 05:55PM

LMU93148August 23, 2021 05:03AM

I think who plays and doesn't play will tell a lot about the final roster