Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 18, 2021

August 18, 2021 01:48PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 18, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On working primarily with the offensive side of the ball today at practice)
“We were bound. We had a couple of things go on. I was mostly with the offense today, that's correct.”

(On what he took away from QB Matthew Stafford’s practice with trying new things, forcing looks and turnovers)
“A couple of them. When you look at the one I thought it was a good aggressive decision - the one over the middle where he's kind of reset into the backside of progression - thought it was a good job by them being able to play visual on the quarterback. Then a couple of them are just tipped balls that really didn't have anything to do with him. But, I didn't like how sloppy it felt overall. There was a lot of breaks in the action because of unnecessary stuff. It wasn't exclusive to one side or the other, but for us to get the work that I know (Raiders Head) Coach (Jon) Gruden and his group wants, and for us and our group, we have got to clean up some of the mechanics. I have to do a better job of managing some of the things as well. There's going to be a lot of good things that we can learn from, but it just didn't feel good the way that it ended just based on a lot of unnecessary things that took away from football. There are still some things I know we can take away and be able to learn from it, but there were a lot of unnecessary things that I know both of us want to be able to eliminate, to try to get better and we'll figure out what that looks like for tomorrow.”

(On what the group talked about on the field concluding the joint practice)
“All of us have the same intentions. Again, I don't believe there was any sort of malicious intent from their guys, but just that practice etiquette and getting the work that we want. This is two teams trying to get ready for the upcoming season, trying to shape one another. We want to make sure that we structure the practice in a way that's beneficiary for both of us.”

(On him being concerned with this being live looks for the offense and them being sloppy during practices with the Cowboys and Raiders)
“I’m not concerned. I think you learn from it. We don't do any sort of game planning for these practices. This is a great opportunity to test a lot of our rules. That's what I like about (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) is he's aggressively trying things out. So, then you can learn how to be smart with that decision making thought process when the games really count. There’s a lot of good things. This is a totally different structure defensively than what we're accustomed to seeing. (Raiders Defensive Coordinator) Gus (Bradley) and (Defensive Line) Coach (Rod) Marinelli, those guys do a really good job, but we want to make sure we're getting the work in. I know the same thing with Coach Gruden and his offense with (Offensive Coordinator) Greg Olson, giving our defense good looks.”

(On how he feels with RB Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“(I) feel really good. He has done a nice job. I think he's really picked it up the last week. He has had really good practices. Stacking good days on top of one another. And that’s the thing that we're looking forward to. (Running Backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas Brown always does a really good job with that group. So, I've been very pleased with (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) lately.”

(On what more he would like to see out of the run game)
“The run game in these settings where you're not actually tackling is always difficult. There was a couple of good ones and there was some couple plays where those guys did a good job at coming off the football on the edges. Being able to play some different things technique wise that are going to change the way that we have to have our technique and fundamentals from an approach standpoint, specific to whatever concepts that we're activating. But again, that was one of the reasons that it was enticing to be able to practice with these guys is it's very different philosophical approaches. That can only benefit us as we're getting ready for 17 games.”

(On what he will tell his guys in order to have a cleaner practice tomorrow)
“I got to really go back and look at it. I think part of it is how we structure the practice to get the things that we want out of it. I don't want to make it like it's negative, like we didn't get anything out of it. There was a lot of things that we can take away. I just felt like for the most part, when we've worked with them previously, and then when we've worked with other clubs, there hasn't been as many things that have taken away from just the football, that it felt like to me. Sometimes when you're fresh off the field and you're like, ‘Ah, maybe it wasn't as bad as you think,’ but there was just a lot of things that I think we can clean up. And I think it starts with me.”

(On how you balance keeping practice light while also allowing the young guys to compete for a roster spot)
“It's a delicate balance. I think you got to make sure that you're very clear about what the intentions are behind what we're trying to get done in these practices. A lot of these practices are structured in a manner that's reflective of the veteran guys are getting a lot of that work and especially with how we've kind of approached it and how we've set it up. But, I think there's always a little bit of clarity when you take a step away, look at the film, connect with the Raiders coaches and then figure out, ‘Alright, how can we make sure to get what we both want out of tomorrow?’ however we end up deciding to do that.”

(On OLB Leonard Floyd)
“He's going to be okay, but we were just smart with him with his ankle.”

(On WR Van Jefferson)
“He just got his forearm banged up, but he ended up returning to practice.”

(On the last few days of training camp left and if he feels like the schedule is different than previous seasons)
“I think we have to just continue to stack blocks. It’s hard to really say until you get into these live game settings, but these practices are good indicators of where you're at. It's not the end all be all because of how we approach it, but we've got a long way to go and we still have a good amount of time but we can't afford to waste a single day.”

(On OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr.)
“He had a little allergic reaction with something that he ate earlier.”

(On if there is anything to gain with practicing the up-tempo, intensity and energy that may lead to some of the skirmishes)
“Absolutely. There's a lot to be gained. You can learn so many different things in these settings without any of the ramifications or repercussions that you would normally have – whether it be penalties in a game where you end up really just being able to talk about composure, plan one snap at a time, being able to move on from a bad play from one snap to the next, being able to stay steady through the good ones. There are great learning opportunities, not only for players, but for coaches alike. There’ll be a lot of things that we can gain from this film.”

(On WR Ben Skowronek)
“I think it should be anywhere between four and six weeks. Things went well. There weren’t any further complications. My understanding is that the surgery went well so anywhere between a month and six weeks.”
  QB Matthew Stafford

(On how he felt practice went today with trying new things and the looks he saw)
“They did a nice job getting the ball back from us a couple of times. I made a couple poor decisions that wish I had back. That's practice. There is some of the new stuff that we're putting in and I want to make sure I get reps at it. I got to do a better job of making sure that we end up with the ball after every play. It's everybody included, so I got to do a better job at that.”

(On what he takes away from the joint practices)
“It's always good to get out there and play somebody different – different schemes, different looks with different players. Just getting used to all that kind of stuff. We saw some stuff from them that we haven't seen any of in camp, which is really good for us as a team and me as a quarterback to see. Our plays kind of develop against certain coverages and certain players. I'm always just trying to soak up as much as I possibly can when it comes to these practices, knowing that we're just trying to get some good work in.”

(On if he equates this to the preseason game that will be played against the Raiders on Saturday)
“No, I think the whole process. I can't sit there and say this day or that day or whatever. Every day is important to me. Whether we're practicing, it's our guys, or somebody else, I'm trying to learn and develop in this offense as best I can each and every day.”

(On if there is a difference between days 1 and 2 of joint practices)
“No. I feel like everybody kind of mixes it up. Hopefully we can play a little bit more ball and not be pushing and shoving as much tomorrow. I think that'll be good for everybody, but it's always good to get some work in. Vegas is a really talented team. It’s good to get some work in with them.”

(On how he’s adjusting to being on a new team)
“I'm getting there. Every day is new and just trying to make sure that I soak up every day. I'm going to have good days, going to have bad days – especially out here on the practice field trying stuff and just want to learn from all of them.”

(On if he’s getting his timing down with the wide receivers)
“That's always a work in progress and just because we have one good day or one bad day doesn't mean it's going to be the same the next. If we go out and have a great day, we've got to go out there and prove it again the next. That's the way we approach it at the skill position – make sure that every time we step on the grass, we're doing everything we can to be in sync and on time. Some days obviously better than others.”

(On the momentum in the red period)
“It was really good. We executed well in the pass game. Had some touchdowns in there, some positive plays. (I) thought guys were crisp and good. Got in that first team period and obviously didn’t start the practice that we wanted to from the team aspect and that's on me. So, obviously, I have to do a better job and make sure we keep that momentum going.”

(On the Rams struggling in the run game in both joint practices with the Cowboys and Raiders)
“I want to go look at the tape because I thought we hit on a few. You’re not going to hit on all of them, but I think we hit on a few. I'll talk to you about that after the tape. Probably have to go peek at it and see.”

(On adjusting to OL Brian Allen playing center versus OL Austin Corbett)
“It has been good. I think we've got to stay flexible up there. Offensive line is a tough position. There are knicks and bruises that happen throughout the season and inevitably we're shuffling guys around. But, I think (OL) Brian (Allen) has done a great job and (OL) Austin (Corbett) is doing a great job moving back to guard. It has been pretty seamless. He's a really good communicator, a smart guy. He played center before for a long time. It has been good to work with him.”

(On if the hit on WR Robert Woods was too much)
“Tough to say. Obviously, we're out here trying to get some work in, but defensive guys are aggressive and that's the way it is. I understand he's trying to make a play. It's a big situation, a two-minute drive. I just want to make sure we're all staying safe. The biggest thing is just coming out of this thing injury free and making sure everybody's available.”

(On if he was concerned about the field being wet)
“No, it wasn't too bad. I think our guys did a great job trying to keep the balls as dry as they could. Once the rain settled down you really didn't notice at all.”
e your preferences or unsubscribe from this lis
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky354August 18, 2021 01:48PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 18, 2021

HornsUpRamily!97August 18, 2021 08:14PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 18, 2021

BerendsenRam217August 18, 2021 08:17PM