Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I really hope you're right Den

May 18, 2021 08:36AM
dzrams
merlin
dzrams
merlin
I'm way more skeptical on Hopkins. I think in fact if he doesn't win that TE2 spot he's a likely cut. But him showing big would be a great thing for this offense so I have my fingers crossed on him.

What makes you think he's a likely cut? Did you not like him coming out?

I think he's a likely cut IF he doesn't win that TE2 spot. Because he hasn't really done anything on special teams and the Rams specifically addressed that element with their lower depth chart this offseason.

As to his hopes winning that TE2 spot... We'll see. I am hopeful but do not like him not sniffing the field last season even when the TE room had injuries.

Got it. It is a mark against him that he doesn't contribute to teams but I think he's safe.

The plan was never for him to sniff the field last year. There was a report, maybe by Rodrigue, that at the very beginning last year the Rams earmarked rookies that would be brought along quickly and those that would essentially be redshirted. They planned to bring Akers along quickly. And they planned to redshirt Hopkins.

As for last year's injuries, Higbee started 15 games and Everett played in all 16. What injuries?

Also, I think Harris is more raw than he was last year.

There was a stretch of games later in the season where someone went down, might have been Mundt. Or maybe I'm old and have a bad memory idk.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have a chance. I just don't like that he was redshirted when he was called an advanced passing game weapon when they drafted him. Harris is not raw at all as TE passing game types go. He is more on the advanced side with plenty of film showing him outside the hashes being challenged. In a F type role in this offense he'll be in the slot if and when he gets on the field and will have a far easier time with lesser DBs on him.

The challenge for Harris is knowing the offense. The basics of what to do and where to line up. If he's a quick study there I guarantee we'll see him get on the field this year. How am I so sure? Because he'll be up every week and dressed due to being a special teams ninja. That was where Hopkins struggled last season and the Rams seem to have learned something from it.

But I'm rooting for Hopkins of course. Hope he comes through for us it would make this unit very well rounded.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5 Rams players who could get beat out by rookies in 2021

BerendsenRam699May 17, 2021 10:55AM

I don't Expect Harris to jump Hopkins.

den-the-coach373May 17, 2021 01:07PM

Re: I don't Expect Harris to jump Hopkins.

BerendsenRam267May 17, 2021 01:32PM

Yep. Hopkins is the prototypical Rams mid rounds pick

RockRam219May 17, 2021 01:49PM

Re: Yep. Hopkins is the prototypical Rams mid rounds pick

BerendsenRam321May 17, 2021 02:00PM

agreed...

LMU93139May 18, 2021 04:28AM

I really hope you're right Den

merlin163May 17, 2021 05:21PM

oldmanram223May 18, 2021 06:08AM