Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's 2021 Mock Draft 3.0

April 27, 2021 06:54PM
I decided 4 years ago I was going to change the way I operated as far as my half assed scouting. I would still do 3 mocks, but it would be post senior bowl, post combine, and pre-draft. Im not a website, so I don't need hits so I don't need to change my rankings or my mocks week to week for ad revenue. And to be honest, anyone that gets the draft process knows that players don't "rise" and "fall" week to week. Personal stuff might come up through team investigations of a player that make them slide or medical stuff. The senior bowl answers some questions, like can a D2 player compete with the big guys. How do they handle a pro style offense? How do they interview? The combine can confirm some stuff you think you see or don't see, but the combine is more for the interviews, drug tests and weigh ins. This year there is a virtual combine and its mostly just a bunch of pro days. I expect draft boards to be all over the place for this reason along with so many cancelled games and players opting out of the 2020 college season.

As with any mock some assumptions have to be made. Here are mine:
1. JJ is gone via free agency. He was a heck of a find and a heck of a player and leader, just too expensive. Correct)
2. Floyd is also gone via free agency. I know they'd love to resign him, its just too expensive. But then again this is going to be a weird FA year with the cap. (Incorrect)
3. Gerald Everett is gone via free agency. its Hopkins time. That's why they drafted him. (Correct)
4. Blythe is gone. Please. I also think Allen is cut. (TBD, edit, yup correct, he is gone)
5. I think Hill is also gone. (Correct)
6. I think Darious Williams gets a 1st round tender. 2nd at worst. (Correct)
7. Kenny Young gets cut to save a million bucks. (Incorrect so far)
8 .FA acquisitions - This is just so tough with the Rams cap, trying to project the cap and how FA will even look this spring. That said:
a. Marvin Jones Jr. - this one makes almost too much sense to actually happen. Cal kid, wants to play with Stafford, fills a need...(DeSean Jackson instead, same need filled, just with a jerky, injury prone over the hill WR)
b. A veteran OC. I think a guy like Ben Garland works on a short term deal, or if Weston Richburg gets cut, he could be in play. I just have a hard time the Rams go into 2021 without attempting to improve the OC spot. And with this seemingly 2 year window, a vet makes sense. (Maybe not, I get the weird feeling they are leaning towards Anchrum, thats a huge gamble)
c. Somehow, someway an edge rusher will be brought in. Ryan Kerrigan on a 1 or 2 year deal, Romeo Okwara from Detroit makes some sense. My dream scenario is for Denver to cut Von Miller to save 18m and Miller decides to take a discount to chase a ring with the Rams. A man can dream. (I guess correct, they resigned Floyd)

Just an FYI, 4 years ago Snead/McVay drafted 6 senior Bowl kids, 3 years ago they drafted 3 Senior Bowl kids (Noteboom, Obo and Demby) and 1 East West Shrine kid (Lawler), and 2 years ago they drafted Gaines from the Senior bowl. Last year Burgess, Hopkins, Anchrum, Jefferson and Lewis were all Senior Bowl participants.

This year, I think the Senior Bowl will get extra special notice, due to the lack of the combine. I'm just guessing.

As of today, the Rams are deficient at Edge, OC, ILB, a vert. WR, DL and secondary depth. This will obviously change. The biggest problem I am having right now is with JJ leaving and no real veteran ILB, who is calling the defense? Kiser, Young or Reeder? That just doesn't excite me. Neither does Burgess, Fuller or Rapp as far as setting the D. But thats not my problem.

I really think the Rams trade down from 57. I truly believe the Rams have their eye on 2 guys at this point. One of them is Asante Samuel Jr., and I have to believe they know there is a strong chance that he is gone. The other is: Walker Little. Fans might freak out and say he is a 3rd round pick, I'd say maybe, but after a small trade down, take a guy that was once a LT1 candidate. Those don't grow on trees and even at 57 he is value.

2.57 Walker Little - LT - Stanford - 6'-7" 307 lbs. - Agile, good length, smart. Was a 2020 opt out and missed '19 with ACL. Decent strength, but could stand to get stronger. OZS OT. I don't actually think this is a reach. If he stayed healthy in 2019, he comes out and is a first round OT, probably right after Wirfs, certainly before Austin Jackson and Isaiah Wilson.

previous pick: @ 3. 79. Quinn Meinerz - OC/OG - Wisconsin Whitewater - 6'-3" 320 lbs. - This was their 1st pick after a trade down. He won't last to 88.
Previous pick: @ 57, Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma. I just don't think he is there at 57, and even if he is, I think the Rams would pass. I don't know why

Other names that makes sense (in a non-trade down scenario)
Joe Tryon - gone Tryon and Ossai can stand up, get in a 3 point stance and can get after the QB.
Joseph Ossai - gone - see above
OL Dillon Radunz - gone - He makes sense as a LT to groom and cross trained at OG at the Senior Bowl and looked good.
Creed Humphrey - gone - Most NFL ready OC and happens to work in both man/gap and zone schemes
CBs Asante Samuel Jr - gone - The more I hear, the more I think he might creep into round 1. Inside/outside CB with a super competitive attitude.
LBer Jabril Cox - he might be there, I think they just don't value OCs or LBers. A better version of Littleton.
Quinn Meinerz - see Cox, Jabril - I think there is serious interest in him, but they just won't pull the trigger.
Elijah Molden - CB/S - I think he fits exactly what the Rams look for in a player, but he is not an outside corner, so they pass. Too bad

3.88 Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford - 6'-1" 197 lbs. - Very good athlete with good ball skills and a willingness to tackle. Good speed. Outside CB. Yeah, I get it, 2 Stanford guys, unlikely. But again, its tremendous value for a guy that was 1st round material.

Previous pick: 3. 88. Hamilcar Rashed Jr. - Edge - Oregon State - I think he fits exactly what the Rams are looking for in an Wdge, but have no reason to believe they have interest.

Other names that make sense:
Edge Quincy Roche - Rams have shown interest. I personally prefer Rashed a bit better. The Rams or you might feel otherwise.
LBers Cam McGrone or Chazz Surratt make a bunch of sense here
OTs James Hudson, Spencer Brown, Stone Forsythe and Brady Christiansen makes sense if they don't go OT in round 2.
DBs Trill Williams is intriguing as is Rodarius Williams
WR Dyami Brown is a really nice option in the 3rd as well.

3.103 Ihmir Smith-Marsette - WR - Iowa - 6'-1" 186 lbs. - Vertical threat thats dangerous in the open field. Jet sweeps, screens. He is diverse. Love to see him add strength to thrive outside. #3 WR. Adds return game as well. Mught be a tad early, but thats for the Rams to manuever.

Previous Pick: 3. 103 Cameron McGrone - ILB - Michigan - 6'-0" 234 lbs
Previous pick: Baron Browning - LB - Ohio State - I don't think he gets out of the 2nd round. He seems to be climbing.

Other names that make sense: See Above

4.141 Jaylen Twyman - DL - Pitt - 6'-1 1/2" 301 lbs. - Basically a poor mans AD. Led his team in sacks from the DT spot in 19, sat out 20, he would be a perfect fit next to AD and have an incredible mentor. I really like this pick.

Previous Pick: 4. 121. Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR - Iowa .
Previous Pick 4. 136 - Jonathon Cooper - Edge - OSU

Edge guys like Dayo Odeyingbo, Shaka Toney, Jonathon Cooper, Rashad Weaver
ILB Justin Hilliard, Derrick Barnes and Monty Rice fit
OC Trey Hill would be good if they don't get a OC earlier
CBs Thomas Graham and Kary Vincent would be excellent picks here
S Caden Sterns would be a HR pick as well
WR Anthony Schwarz and Marquez Stevenson are ultra fast deep threats.

Round 5 - I want a pick in this round - Garrett Wallow - LB - TCU - 6'-2" 230 lbs. - tackle machine, sideline to sideline, can drop into coverage. Plays with an edge. Calls the defense. When kept clean, he's dangerous. Traffic/blockers give him issues. 43 WILL/ 34 ILB Missed Senior Bowl due to positive test

6.209 Wyatt Hubert - Edge - Kansas State - 6'-3" 265 lbs. - He is a terror off the edge. Stand up or hand in the dirt, non stop motor, giant ball of energy that teammates feed off of. Won't win many foot races. Thought the did well at the Senior Bowl.

Previous Pick: Marco Wilson - CB - Florida
Previous Pick: Ben Mason - FB - Michigan - I moved him down a pick.

Think players that can help STs. Maybe an OC if they slip. Jimmy Morrisey or Drake Jackson
DL if it is still a need.
ILB Amen Ogbongbemiga, Tony Fields II, Justin Hilliard, Buddy Johnson, Ernest Jones and Nick Niemann

7. 252. Ben Mason - FB - Michigan - 6'-3" 254 lbs. Senior Bowl weigh in. - An absolute hammer that helps McVay run the ball. Blocker first, can catch the ball, can carry in short yardage and I think could line up as a H back or in line TE as well as his FB spot. Also a ST demon. Senior Bowl stand out.

Previous Pick: Jaelon Dardon - WR - N. Texas - He is still my favorite deep threat, return guy if the Rams haven't solved that by the 7th round.

At this point, look for LBers, TEs, S and CBs that can help depth and ST.

The Rams roster looks like this:

QB - Stafford, Wolford, Perkins
RB - Akers, Henderson, Jones, Mason
WR - Kupp, Woods, Jackson, Jefferson, Webster, Smith-Marsette
TE - Higbee, Hopkins, Mundt, Blanton
OL - Whitworth, Edwards, Anchrum, Corbett, Havenstein, Evans, Noteboom, Coleman, Allen, Little

Thats 27 on offense

DL - Donald, Robinson, Joseph-Day, Gaines, Banks, Copeland, Williams, Twyman
Edge - Floyd, Lewis, Okoronkwo, Hollins, Lawler, Hubert
ILB - Howard, Reeder, Kiser, Rozeboom, Young
CB - Ramsey, Williams, Long, Deayon, Adebo
S - Rapp. Fuller, Burgess, Scott, Hughes, Reed

Thats 30 on defense

STs:
K - Gay
P - Hekker
LS - Holba

Thats 3 on ST

So my math says thats 60. Its a good start. I expect that if this was the case the 8 most in danger are: (and they could be PS guys) Perkins, Blanton, Allen, Young, Reed, one of Copeland, Banks or Williams, Blanton and Webster.

I really wanted to add a S somewhere, a OC somewhere and an ILB. But with so many spots and so many picks, it gets tough. Anyways, its all in good fun. Enjoy.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 07:36PM by Deadpool.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2021 Mock Draft 3.0

Deadpool970April 27, 2021 06:54PM

Love walker and adebo picks

PHDram304April 28, 2021 04:14AM

Walker Little makes a lot of sense

BigGame81238April 28, 2021 04:56AM

I also think Nick Bolton is a good possibility (nm)

BigGame81309April 28, 2021 07:48AM

There's a lot of RT types in the early media lists IMO

merlin177April 28, 2021 12:36PM

Re: There's a lot of RT types in the early media lists IMO

merlin228April 28, 2021 12:40PM

I like it! Desperately need an OT as

ferragamo79268April 28, 2021 05:50AM

on Long

PHDram307April 28, 2021 05:59AM

Re: I'll take that draft deadpool.....

oldschoolramfan258April 28, 2021 07:32AM

Re: I'll take that draft deadpool.....

Hazlet Hacksaw224April 28, 2021 07:39AM

Re: Matthew Stafford is this years #1 pick.

oldschoolramfan187April 28, 2021 08:05AM

Actually it's JR

PHDram184April 28, 2021 08:08AM

Re: Actually it's JR

oldschoolramfan275April 28, 2021 08:11AM

Re: Deadpool's 2021 Mock Draft 3.0

Scottish Ram204April 28, 2021 11:12AM

I so struggle with using the 57th pick on a guy who hasn't played in 2 years

RockRam381April 28, 2021 01:48PM

Re: I so struggle with using the 57th pick on a guy who hasn't played in 2 years

dzrams227April 28, 2021 02:25PM

I can understand the 1 year deal. But 2?

RockRam274April 28, 2021 02:47PM

I wouldn't make that pick either Rock

Deadpool219April 28, 2021 05:02PM

The 1 thing that could make Little happen is his former Oline coach

RockRam305April 29, 2021 01:30AM

So here's a question

PHDram287April 29, 2021 03:08AM