Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's 2021 Top 10 by Position List - Defense

April 13, 2021 06:16PM
These are my final positional rankings. Some of these guys (especially the LBers) could end up on 2 or 3 lists. I put them where I personally like them the best.

I put this is in a separate post from my Big Board to make it easier to ask and answer questions, but if the admins want to join them, I do not care.

I will put my own thoughts under each position as far as depth and what I think of some of the prospects.

And just for R2K, I will throw in lines where there are tier breaks. Not all tiers are created equal, so keep that in mind.

DLs:

1. Levi Onwuzurike- DT - Washington - 6'-3" 290 lbs. - My clear cut #1 DT, he is explosive off the snap. Has the power to handle double teams, and is a handful when left one on one. Needs to work on his pass rush arsenal. 3 tech.

2. Christian Barmore - DT - Alabama - 6'-5" 310 lbs. - Explosive and smooth. Arrow is pointing up. For as big as he is, he seems to need to add strength. 2 tech

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Milton Williams - DT Louisiana Tech- 6'-4" 280 lbs. - Makes a living in the other teams backfield. He isn't explosive, but he is athletic, makes good use of his hands and has a good motor. Arrow up guy. 3/5 tech

4. Daviyon Nixon - DT - Iowa - 6'-3" 305 lbs. - More quick than explosive, good hands, good strength. When he puts it all together, he is tough to stop. He needs to do that more often. 3 tech.

5. Tommy Togiai - DT - Ohio State - 6'-2" 300 lbs. - A dancing bear, really agile for his size, big time motor and an excellent run stopper. 1 year of real production, he might be a riser. 1/3 tech.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6. Jay Tufele - DT USC - 6'-3" 315 lbs. - 2020 opt out. A nice blend of size and quickness that allowed him to play all over the DL. I really like his athleticism. Needs some pass rush moves. 1/3 tech.

7. Tyler Shelvin - DT - LSU - 6'-3" 350 lbs. - A mountain of a man. Pure NT with the size and power to dominate the LoS. He won't wow you athletically, but he has a great motor for his size and he will clog the middle. 0/1 tech.

8. Alim McNeill - DT - NC State - 6'-2" 320 lbs. - A NT in either front. great get off for the size, I love his power and his hands. I wish he was more conisistant. 0/1 tech.

9. Jaylen Twyman - DT - Pitt - 6'-2" 290 lbs. - 2020 opt out. 1st Pitt DT to lead his team in sacks since, I forget his name, Albert Darnold? Something like that. And there are similarities between AD and JT. Super explosive, plays low to the ground and lives in the backfield. Needs to add strength. And maybe come from Krypton. 3 tech, maybe 5 tech

10. Marvin Wilson - DT - Florida State - 6'-3" 320 lbs. - flashes that size/strength/explosive athlete combo, but he has just kinda topped out. THe potential is there, needs the right coach. 3 tech.

Not a top heavy class, I think the best value actually comes on day 3. Tier 1 is 2nd round, tier 2 is 3rd round and after that, its 3rd and 4th round talent thats brings plenty of value.

EDGE:

1. Jaelan Phillips - Edge - Miami - 6'-5" 260 lbs. - Super athletic, quick, and a loose frame. He is a menace off the edge. Could be stronger at the point of attack. 34 OLB or maybe a 43 DE.

2. Kwity Paye - Edge - Michigan - 6'-4" 270 lbs. - Good athlete, love his power and his ability to win with his hands. Can play the run and the pass. Clean up some technique and he could be a monster. 43 DE

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Gregory Rousseau - Edge - Miami - 6'-6" 266 lbs. - 2020 opt out, smooth with a nice burst. He needs to add strength to his long frame to handle run duties, but he has all the physical tools. 43 DE

4. Azeez Ojulari - Edge - Georgia - 6'-3" 240 lbs. - Great athlete with a big time motor, can rush and defend the run. Could stand to use some more good weight. 34 WOLB

5. Jayson Oweh - Edge - Penn State - 6'-5" 260 lbs. - 20 college starts, so raw, but I popping athleticism. He is flexible. Real nice get off at the snap. Real nice motor. Needs work as a run defender. 34 OLB

6. Joseph Ossai - Texas - 6'-3" 245 lbs. - Nice quickness, really athletic with a good pass rush game. High rev motor. Needs to get stronger to handle run defense. 34 OLB

7. Joe Tryon - Edge - Washington - 6'-4" 250 lbs. - 2020 opt out. Explosive, strong and flexible. Can set an edge. Plays with a great motor. Only 1 year of great production. 34 OLB

8. Ronnie Perkins - Edge - Oklahoma - 6'-3" 250 lbs. - Powerful with great hands, not the most fluid athlete, he can make plays all over. Great motor. 34 OLB maybe a 43 end with weight gain.

9. Carlos Basham Jr. Edge - Wake Forrest - 6'-3" 281 lbs. - He packed the stat chart. wins with decent quickness and lots of power. Can handle run duties due to his power. 43 DE

10. Patrick Jones II - Edge - Pitt - 6'-4" 260 lbs. - Nice length, good athlete, smart with a big time motor. Holds his ground at the PoA. 43 DE

A note first, I had this list mostly organized before some of these guys (esp. Phillips ) tested out of this world. Its an OK class, esp in the 2nd to 4th rounds. No ultra elite guys like Young from last year or the Bosas. Tier 1 and 2 are 1st to early 2nd round, tier 3 is solid 2nd round guys and after that 3rd, maybe early 4th

LBs:

1. Micah Parsons - LB - Penn State - 6'-2" 245 lbs. - 2020 opt out. My #1 LBer coming into the season. Top notch athlete, sideline to sideline range that hits, blitzes and can really change a game. Character Red Flags. ILB 43/34

2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - LB - Notre Dame - 6'-2" 216 lbs. - Plays and hits like he is 245 lbs. Sideline to sideline, a good blitzer and great in coverage. Not a stack and shed MLBer. 43 WLB/ maybe a 34 ILB

3. Zaven Collins - LB - Tulsa - 6'-4" 260 lbs. - For his size, he is a flexible, smooth athlete with range. Can stack and shed, can blitz, and drop into zone coverage. 1 year of great production. Up arrow. 43 SLB/MLB or anywhere in a 34

4. Jamin Davis - LB - Kentucky - 6'-4" 225 lbs. - Sideline to sideline guy with freakish athleticism, good power and very good in coverage. Run defense is best from a backside pursuit position. Lacks a ton of experience. 43 WLB/34 ILB

5. Baron Browning - LB - Ohio State - 6'-3" 240 lbs. - Fast. Versatile (played all over) Good blitzer, plenty of range. Matches up with TEs well. OLB 43/ ILB 34

6. Dylan Moses - LB - Alabama - 6'-3" 235 lbs. - Love his range, plus blitzer, does well to drop in coverage. Athletically gifted. A thumper. SLB or MLB 43/ ILB 34 that can blitz off the edge.

7. Jabril Cox - LB - LSU - 6'-3" 232 lbs. - Top notch pass defender, at his best in a run and chase position, Very good athlete that has all sorts of range. Can blitz off the edge. Played outside in NDSUs 43, inside in LSUs 34. 34 ILB/43 WLB

8. Nick Bolton - LB - Missouri - 6'-0" 232 lbs. - A good athlete and arrives with a pop. Struggles to shed blocks. I like him as a WILL in a 43. 43 WLB/ 34 ILB

9. Cameron McGrone - LB - Michigan - 6'-1" 235 lbs. - A bit raw, but good athleticism, not afraid of contact, developing coverage ability. Good blitzer. 34/43 MLB

10. Pete Werner - LB- Ohio State - 6'-3" 240 lbs. - Surprising athlete in a good way. Can cover and play the run well. I like his physicality. A bit of a slower processor. 43 OLB/34 ILB

Love this class. If you can get past Parsons character red flags, he is legit. Collins moves so well for a guy his size, that it almost defies physics and JO-K hits like he weighs 250 lbs. Tier 1 is round 1, tier 2 is 2nd round maybe 3rd and tier 3 is 3rd round. After that, the pickings get slim, but not horrible.

CBs:

1. Patrick Surtain II - CB - Alabama - 6'-2" 202 lbs. - Great size/length. Physical with WRs at the LoS. Willing tackler. Good athlete that plays under control. Lots of nuance to his game. Outside CB.

2. Caleb Farley - Virginia Tech - CB - 6'-2" 195 lbs. - A beast as a press man CB. Smart and calm, he just plays like a shutdown CB. I wished he was a more willing tackler in the games I saw. Outside CB

3. Jaycee Horn - CB - South Carolina - 6'-1" 205 lbs. - Absolute elite cover skills from any coverage. Good ball skills. You are not drafting him for his tackling prowless. Outside CB

4. Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - 6'-1" 185 lbs. - Speed to burn, good ball production, a willing tackler. Ok athlete in spite of his speed. Outside CB

5. Greg Newsome II - CB - Northwestern - 6'-1" 190 lbs. - Smooth for his size, will compete on every play and is physical. 1 int his entire career. Underrated. Injury red flags. Outside CB

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6. Asante Samuel Jr - 5'-10" - FSU - 5'-10" 185 lbs. - Twitchy athlete with a real natural feel for the position. Willing tackler, but size is a hinderance. Decent ball production. in/out CB

7. Aaron Robinson - CB - UCF - 5'-11" 190 lbs. - Smooth lower half, ultra competitive and a willing tackler. Average athlete. Slot CB that could develop outside.

8. Elijah Molden - CB - Washington - 5'-10" 190 lbs. - Not a big or super athletic slot CB, but has very good ball skills, is a willing tackler and plays smart. He competes. Slot CB only

9. Trill Williams - CB - Syracuse - 6'-2" 200 lbs. - Super versatile (CB,slot, S ) agressive against the pass and run. Great length. Great athlete. Little ball production. Jack of all trades/master of none. Inside/outside CB/Safety

10. Ifeatu Melifonwu - CB - Syracuse - 6'-2" 215 lbs. - nice size/athletic combo that had decent ball production, an OK tackler that will mix it up. At his best facing the offense. Outside CB/ Safety

Take you pick of the top 3. All are going to be good. Tier 1 are top 10-15 picks, tier 2 also 1st round, tier 3 is solidly 2nd round and tier 4 is 3rd round. This is once again a deep class. I actually like some of the value outside the top 10.

SAFs:

1. Trevon Moehrig - S - TCU - 6'-1" 208 lbs. - Very, fluid and athletic safety that plays aggressively. Impressive ball skills and can play in the box and hit.

2. Jamar Johnson - S - Indiana - 6'-1" 197 lbs. - A physical safety with good range and good ball skills, he is effective equally against the run and the pass.

3. Richie Grant - S - UCF - 6'-0" 195 lbs. - Ball hawk. Super versatile. Physical with plenty of range. Great athletic profile.

4. Jevon Holland - S - Oregon - 6'-1" 197 lbs. - Very good athlete. GOOD, like good ball skills, good in run defense, good range, good motor, good versatility.

5. Hamsah Nasirildeen - S - FSU - 6'-3" 215 lbs. - Big, athletic, and aggressive. FSU lined him up all over. Moments of hesitation.

6. Andre Cisco - S - Syracuse - 6'-1" 215 lbs. - Highlight reel guy. Suoper ball production. Great athlete with lots of range. Wisjh he was a better tackler.

7. Joshuah Bledsoe - S - Missouri - 5'-11" 201 lbs. - Physical safety with OK range and is a decent athlete. Fits my "big nickel" position much like Rapp.

8. James Wiggins - S - Cinncinnati - 6'-0" 205 lbs. - Super versatile S that can line up anywhere in the middle of the field. Good run defender, quick and smooth athlete. Good ball skills. ACL concerns.

9. Caden Sterns - S - Texas - 6'-1" 207 lbs. - Outstanding athlete with good range, good ball skills. Spotty tackler.

10. Ar'Darius Washington - S - TCU - 5'-8" 180 lbs. - Real heady player that makes up for ideal size with smarts. Nice range with good ball skills.

This is an OK class. Plenty of depth and plenty of upside guys. I like the value later in the draft. I think a guys like Sterns and Washington are severely under-valued. Tier 1 is late 1st to early 2nd, tier 2 are solid 2nds and after that middle round guys.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2021 Top 10 by Position List - Defense

Deadpool575April 13, 2021 06:16PM

Re: Deadpool's 2021 Top 10 by Position List - Defense

oldschoolramfan269April 13, 2021 07:44PM

Re: Deadpool's 2021 Top 10 by Position List - Defense

BerendsenRam235April 13, 2021 08:03PM

ILB

Ram_Ruler176April 14, 2021 02:09AM

I've warmed to the idea of an ILB

LMU93169April 14, 2021 04:04AM

Defense vs Offense at 57