Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead on Terrell Burgess...

March 25, 2021 07:24AM
Here’s oldnotdead...

A guy to watch this year will be Burgess. Right now the apparent hole in the defense is SCB. But I don't really think that it is. Last year Staley would move Ramsey into that "star" position if the offense had a key receiver playing there. I think initially they will look to David Long to step up to fill the boundary CB position if Morris plays Ramsey in a similar manner. He has the speed to play the position and now has a year of experience under his belt. Normally it takes 3 years to develop an outside CB because in the NFL it's all about technique.

If Long struggles this is where IMO the versatility of Burgess comes into play. Burgess possesses boundary CB speed and has a good first step to match most receivers. Why does this matter? The Rams are basically 3 deep at safety. In college, Burgess play primarily as a SS. This would make him an option to allow Morris to keep Ramsey outside and simply allow Burgess to cover the Y receiver.

As a starting FS Burgess is an upgrade to Johnson because of that speed. Too many times Johnson was a step late in his coverages. Burgess gives Morris tremendous flexibility in how he uses his secondary. He can move Burgess up to basically play SCB or he can play him as a FS and play zone underneath with Fuller and Rapp, which isn't a bad option.

I think Morris' nickel will often be 3 safeties, Burgess, Rapp, & Fuller. Offenses really can't key off of that personnel package because of Burgess' versatility to play as a 3rd CB or safety. IMO Burgess made Hill expendable. Hill was too scheme-dependent (zone). Burgess gives Morris the flexibility of man or zone. This secondary was one of the best if not the best in the NFL last year. IMO they can still be and with Burgess, they can be even better.

This defense can be better. Lewis is an upgrade to Brockers. Gaines has shown he is capable of filling a rotational position behind AD at 3T. Morris has absolutely no excuses with this roster. I think we will see a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme in the front 7, which is the same scheme Baltimore has run with great success.

As much as I like Goff, there is no question that Stafford elevates this team from very good to potentially great. No more worries about the Rams being overmatched at QB. The Rams vs Tampa is going to be a great matchup. Stafford is very capable of outplaying Brady, especially with this team around him. In fact when you look at the schedule, only Jacksonville and NY Giants look completely outmatched. I can't wait for his season!!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead on Terrell Burgess...

Rams43526March 25, 2021 07:24AM

Re: Oldnotdead on Terrell Burgess...

SoCalRAMatic242March 25, 2021 07:39AM

Burgess

LMU93321March 25, 2021 08:38AM

Repost tweet from Terrell Burgess on his 1st day of running

Rams Junkie292March 25, 2021 12:43PM

Good choice of words on Ram QB position: won't be outmatched

RockRam291March 25, 2021 07:59AM