Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: McVay is not the problem

January 24, 2021 06:16PM
merlin
It's players. He's got a QB who can't get through reads when he's pressured and who misses a lot of opportunity. He's got a deficiency at Center that blew up a ton of our plays down the stretch and magnified the first problem. And he lacks playmakers.

He is going to attack those problems this offseason IMO.

No one has said that McVay does a "poor job" or that he is a huge problem. Not that I have seen.

But a 10-6 team that needs to step up another rung or 2 is going to have issues and it is inevitable that some of that will fall on the coach. That is not the same as saying the coach is no good, or can't change, or is the sole issue, or any of that. But some of it is on him, and saying so is not mutiny. cool smiley

Here are my concerns about McVay.

First, this is a team that quite visibly came out flat after being intense the week before (Patz game then Jets game) and which also took some opponents lightly (first SF game, Miami game, Jets game again). The defense also didn't play up to its billing a few times (Bills game, Jets game, arguably both SF games). And all this is not just "no one wins every game" kind of stuff--there's something going on with this. So the defense can be inconsistent, the whole team can be inconsistent, the OL can be inconsistent, the qb can be inconsistent. At what point do we say that McVay's team can be inconsistent? How much of that is a young team and how much of that is on him? If at least some of it is on him, does he get better with this with some experience and some reflection? This is just a theory but the team may be a reflection of him when it comes to this---maybe he gets up for certain games and then can't keep an even keel the next game or against an opponent he perceives as weak (and then gets surprised when they put up a fight). Either way I don't think that this year they ever won 3 in a row.

There are also times, win or lose, where I wonder about his feel for the game as a play caller. Does he have good instincts for that? There are times when he seems not to.

There are times when he seems not to have answers for certain defensive attacks that can stymie his offense. This goes back to 2018. I don;t know what this is.

The redzone offense is an issue. Interestingly the qb is pretty good in the redzone but the team as a whole isn't (they rank 19th in redzone scoring percentage, TDs only. In 2018 they ranked 19th also. Bizarrely, they ranked higher in 2019, with a problem OL (6th).

There's also a lot of minor game management issues but I honestly don't get too wrapped up in that.

But it is possible to go too far with that--it's still a 10-6 team, one without a losing season for 4 years now. But IMO it's equally possible to pretend that none of this exists or that none of it factors into their list of issues they have to deal with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2021 06:21PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Report: Seahawks talking to Rams’ Shane Waldron about OC job...

Rams43707January 24, 2021 07:57AM

No! dammit

Speed_Kills309January 24, 2021 08:26AM

be nice

OzRam352January 24, 2021 10:07AM

He's running out of guys he's worked with (nm)

3030300January 24, 2021 08:41AM

What I don't get if McVay is doing such a poor job with the offense

Deadpool208January 24, 2021 10:32AM

Re: Whoa good point...

dzrams213January 24, 2021 10:39AM

Agree

Deadpool180January 24, 2021 10:44AM

McVay is not the problem

merlin180January 24, 2021 01:59PM

Re: McVay is not the problem

zn200January 24, 2021 06:16PM

Re: What I don't get if McVay is doing such a poor job with the offense

zn201January 24, 2021 10:48AM

I said the same in another thread nm

Speed_Kills146January 24, 2021 11:38AM

Re: What I don't get if McVay is doing such a poor job with the offense

stlramz155January 24, 2021 09:23PM

Re: Report: Seahawks talking to Rams’ Shane Waldron about OC job...

LoboRam185January 24, 2021 12:09PM

Better than a firing eh?

merlin161January 24, 2021 01:56PM

Expected Waldron to become Chargers OC when O'Connell was blocked nm

Rams Junkie142January 24, 2021 05:41PM