Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams GM: Not seeking ‘big splash’ by trade deadline, but don’t rule anything out...

October 28, 2020 03:07PM
Rams GM: Not seeking 'big splash' at trade deadline but don't rule it out

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

The NFL trade deadline is rapidly approaching, with all deals needing to be made by Nov. 3, which is next Tuesday. The Rams have been active at the deadline in each of the last two years, headlined by their deals for Jalen Ramsey in 2019 and Dante Fowler Jr. the year prior.

They also traded away Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib before the deadline last year, so they’re no strangers to making in-season trades. Will they make it three years in a row with a splash before the deadline?

With Rams GM Les Snead, never say never. However, based on his comments, it sounds like they’re comfortable with the current state of their roster and aren’t looking to make a big move before Tuesday’s deadline.

“I think with all things considered, where we’re at, how we’re playing, the youth on our team, wanting to continue getting youth experience, we’re not actively seeking to do things,” Snead said on the Coach McVay Show. “We like where our draft capital is for the future, we like some of those things. So a ‘splash’ would usually mean giving up more important pieces in the draft.”

It’s understandable that Snead wouldn’t tip his hand or give away the Rams’ plans, but he didn’t completely shut the door on the possibility of making a deal before the deadline. Rumors are constantly swirling about players who could be available, and Snead is always listening.

If there’s someone out there who could help the Rams short-term and long-term, they might strike and make a move. It just has to fit with the team’s overall goal without sacrificing too much draft capital, considering they’re already thin on picks due to the Ramsey trade.

“What I have articulated a few times is you never know when there might be an opportunity that you should explore and as you hear rumors and things like that, you should definitely – ‘Hey wait a minute, if that’s true, that could be an interesting opportunity that we didn’t think about or strategically seek out,’” Snead continued. “But if that particular player is available and based on where he’s at with his contract, how talented he is and what kind of role he could fit for us, I do think we owe it to the franchise to explore those opportunities to see if it does make us better both short- and long-term. That’s what we’ll continue to do and a lot of times, those things heat up this week.”

Put more concisely, Rams fans shouldn’t expect a big move to be made by the Rams, but they’ll keep an eye out for a “big man up on that diving board” if one becomes available.

“I think if I was telling Rams fans, don’t look for any splashes – we’re not intentionally seeking any splashes but if we see a big man up on that diving board that can make a big splash becomes available, we’ll definitely explore it, analyze it and determine if it’s worth helping the Rams both microscopically and telescopically,” he said.

Big-name trades have become more common in the NFL in recent years, with stars such as Odell Beckham Jr., DeAndre Hopkins, Ramsey, Peters and David Johnson being moved. Snead recognizes that trend and explained why teams are more willing to move on from their top players in the midst of a rebuild.

The Rams have capitalized on those opportunities by acquiring some key players, too.

“I think that’s the interesting thing we’re seeing with the league is that teams are maybe willing to trade your splashier name players because they feel like, ‘OK, wait a minute. We’d rather add draft capital and continue our rebuild than maybe pay a player in his prime,’” he said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams GM: Not seeking ‘big splash’ by trade deadline, but don’t rule anything out...

Rams43645October 28, 2020 03:07PM

Re: Rams GM: Not seeking ‘big splash’ by trade deadline, but don’t rule anything out...

BerendsenRam207October 28, 2020 11:56PM

protect their draft capital

LMU93130October 29, 2020 05:14AM

Re: protect their draft capital

Tony Romas118October 29, 2020 06:13AM

Re: protect their draft capital

oldmanram124October 29, 2020 06:14AM

Re: Rams GM: Not seeking ‘big splash’ by trade deadline, but don’t rule anything out...

Rams43146October 29, 2020 07:06AM

Dontari Poe is available

Deadhead Ram104October 29, 2020 09:15AM