Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some Ram question marks will be answered by Day 2...

April 22, 2020 08:42AM
Some subtle, others not so subtle.

This will be a stream of consciousness thing, so please bear with me.

Because of the virus, normal predraft prep has been restricted for all teams. The result might be unexpected twists and turns as this draft unfolds, especially in top 3 rounds. We’ve been told to “Expect the Unexpected’ and I suspect that that can’t be overstated. Some players might be passed over and fall to the Rams. I consider the Rams to be one of the better drafting teams so this could be a ‘bonus’ coming Rams way. Cuts both ways, though. Rams might surprise by passing on an available mock favorite player, too.

Not sure whether this will increase or decrease Snead’s desire to trade either up or down. He might be more tempted to pounce if certain players unexpectedly fall into his lap. Then again, he might go nuts while seeing targeted players falling below so a trade down might be even more attractive than in normal years. Quality depth in this draft might turbocharge Snead’s trade down impulses. Lol.

Ram actions among various position groups might speak volumes about how they REALLY feel about their guys. For example:

RB. If one is taken high it speaks to their confidence in Hendo/Brown. I think a RB taken high is quite likely.

OL. What if none are taken high? Or, conversely, what if they draft 2 early? Will it be C only? If an OG is drafted, doesn’t that say a lot about how they see Corbett’s Ram future in particular and a lot about how they see the current state of Rams OL in general? OTOH, if they don’t draft OL high isn’t that a helluva vote of confidence in our projected starts?

WR. How can the Rams not draft a WR in THIS draft? Ahh, but will it be as high as 52, , or will it be down the line? And how far down the line? The answer will be revealing, huh?

Edge. Only question is how high? Again, kinda revealing as to real Ram/Staley impressions of their present roster over on the edge.

ILB. Again, how high speaks to their real comfort level with the many guys on the roster. Coachspeak support of current players is all well and good, but if they draft 2 players inside? Hoo boy!

Obviously, they will be taking BPA among need groups, but we can safely assume that by 52 the ratings differential between players, A, B, and C can be very, very slight. So I do think that the positions taken (or not taken) will be quite revealing, especially on Day 2.

The Staley influence might start to reveal itself in the choices at Edge and ILB. Many a post by draft gurus will be coming after these D picks are in. Can’t wait.

Think Rams take a developmental QB late rather than extend Bortles? I think I might since I’m not a big Bortles fan, not to mention the cap implications.

Will a CB or FS be taken by round 4? I think it’s 50-50, myself. Depends on who falls, I suppose.

Will there be a semi-surprising draft day trade of Hav? If so, that would shout confidence in Evans.

How about a stunner draft day trade for Fournette? Looking increasingly doubtful, but I sure wouldn’t rule it out just yet.

Will more players be drafted on O or on D? And what does that say about Ram self scouting perceptions?

Will a PK be drafted? I kinda doubt it, but they’ve shown interest in Sloman, so you never know. It IS a crucial position.

Rams fans will be entertained by Day 1 twists and turns as players keep coming off the board and others keep falling closer and ever closer within possible reach. First we will be tantalized then on Day 2 it will become somewhat excruciating as they keep falling and falling.

Man, I LOVE the draft.

Hot Damn!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some Ram question marks will be answered by Day 2...

Rams43492April 22, 2020 08:42AM

I say NO to OL in Rounds 2 & 3.

Firecap253April 22, 2020 10:13AM

Re: I say NO to OL in Rounds 2 & 3.

Classicalwit222April 22, 2020 12:20PM

Re: completely disagree....

spagsbacker222April 22, 2020 12:49PM

Re: OLINE........

oldschoolramfan180April 22, 2020 03:43PM

Re: Some Ram question marks will be answered by Day 2...

k3164April 22, 2020 06:04PM

Re: Some Ram question marks will be answered by Day 2...

SoCalRAMatic128April 23, 2020 06:05AM