Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's 2020 Mock Draft 3.0

April 21, 2020 09:53AM
I decided 3 years ago I was going to change the way I operated as far as my half assed scouting. I would still do 3 mocks, but it would be post senior bowl, post combine, and pre-draft. Im not a website, so I don't need hits so I don't need to change my rankings or my mocks week to week for ad revenue. And to be honest, anyone that gets the draft process knows that players don't "rise" and "fall" week to week. Personal stuff might come up through team investigations of a player that make them slide or medical stuff. The senior bowl answers some questions, like can a D2 player compete with the big guys. How do they handle a pro style offense? How do they interview? The combine can confirm some stuff you think you see or don't see, but the combine is more for the interviews, drug tests and weigh ins.

As with any mock some assumptions have to be made. Here are mine: (from Mock 1.0 on 2/3/20)
1. Littleton does not resign. He qwill be just too expensive. He is the one guy I would resign. So I hope I'm wrong. (Correct)
2. Brockers does not resign. (Correct then incorrect. he resigned.)
3. Whitworth resigns - I think its on a reasonable 1 year deal. (Correct, it might go 2, but not the full length)
4. Blythe resigns - I am against this resigning, but I think they like him and he should be reasonable to sign...(Correct)
5. Fowler does not resign - I said this last year too, this time I mean it. (Correct)
6. Christian is resigned for S depth. (Wrong)
7. Greg Zuerlein resigns (wrong)
8. Weddle's option will not be picked up. (Correct)
9 .FA acquisitions - Last year I begged for Shaq Barrett, I'd like to thank Shaq for making me look really smart. lol. This year I would be all over Vic Beasley. He replaces Fowler. Another name I would love to see in horns would be 34 DE Derek Wolfe from Denver. (so not Beasley, but another edge Floyd. And not Wolfe but another DL in Robinson. So I got both positions right)

Just an FYI, 3 years ago Snead/McVay drafted 6 senior Bowl kids, 2 years ago they drafted 3 Senior Bowl kids (Noteboom, Obo and Demby) and 1 East West Shrine kid (Lawler), and last year they drafted Gaines from the Senior bowl. So again I would pay attn to those rosters. Esp with the lack of private visits.

With Whit and Blythe resigned, the OL is mostly set, I will add 1 or 2 OL, LG and OC
Edge still needs a piece. Early. Later picks are just more of the same IMO.
ILB - Kiser is unproven, same with Howard (and add in undersized) Young is an interesting piece, and Reeder is not a starter.
DL - I think NT is set with SJD, Robinson and Gaines. And the Brockers resigning.
RB - with Gurley gone, another back will be added.
WR - with Thomas and Natson gone they will add one. Add Cooks, and this team is 3 deep and thats about it.
TE - set
QB - set
CB/S - might need some depth, esp. safety. Not a priority IMO
OTs - set for a year.

2-52. Brandon Aiyuk - WR - Arizona State - 6'-0" 205 lbs. - Another big play waiting to happen. Can take the top off the defense and is slippery in the open field. After trading away a 5 time concussed Cooks, the Rams need a big play threat to compliment steady WRs Woods and Kupp.

previous picks: Jordyn Brooks - ILB - Texas Tech & Leki Fotu - NT - Utah

Who else makes sense:

Any WR virtually: Shenault, Reagor, Hamler, Higgins, Mims, Peoples-Jones and maybe Pittman.

Any of the top 4 RBs: Jonathan Taylor, D'Andre Swift, JK Dobbins and Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Maybe Edwards-Helaire is available. Maybe Akers if they feel he is a fit.

Any of the top 3 IOL: Cesar Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry or Matt Hennessy. Of these guys maybe Hennessy would be available.

Pick a Edge rusher- Curtis Weaver, Julian Okwara, Terrell Lewis, Josh Uche. Baun would be too much to pass up IMO.

Who I would pick: JK Dobbins - RB - Ohio State - 5'-9" 210 lbs. - Inside out back that can catch passes, extremely tough after first contact and can go the distance. I wish he was a tad bigger. Or really any of the top 4 RBs here. They are all more physical between the tackles than Henderson, and all more dependable than Brown, not to mention explosive.

2-57. Terrell Lewis - Alabama - 6'-5" 262 lbs. - Another high ceiling guy with injury history. Loooong levered. Smooth. Stong. 34 Edge, I'm getting a weird vibe about Lewis. I think they are warming up to his upside if he can stay healthy. He could be a beast next to AD.

previous pick - no one

who else makes sense: A top 4 RB, IOL Cushenberry or Hennessy, a WR if they don't take one at 52, Jordyn Brooks should be in consideration.

Who would I pick - Tee Higgins - WR - Clemson - 6'-4" 216 lbs. - a highpoint, catch radius WR that wins at all levels of the field, but is at his best winning 50/50. Good, not great speed. He might slide due to not testing anywhere. He is a deep threat, but in a differnt way than a Brandon Cooks. He also gives you a legit redzone threat. And I'll be honest here, take any WR in the 2nd round that falls to you. Reagor, Shenault, Higgins, Hamler, Mims, Aiyuk...etc.

3-84. Nick Harris - IOL - Washington - 6'-1" 302 lbs. - Smaller, smooth moving OC that lacks the power to go heads up against any kind of power. Good technique. Zone scheme only. I don't like this pick at all, but I feel like this is their guy. He wins with athleticism and leverage over brute strength.

Previous picks -Jon Greenard - Edge - Florida & Ben Bartch - OT - St Johns

Who else works:

Any left over Edge rushers from the list above if the Rams go another route with round 2. Add in Bradley Anae to that list as well as Alex Highsmith.

A LG like Logan Stenberg or Robert Hunt makes sense.

RBs like Eno Benjamin or maybe even Cam Akers would work for me.

WR - literally any WR that slides could work. Van Jefferson would be a solid choice. If Pittman gets this far would be great.

OT Matt Peart would be a nice developmental guy.

Maybe a ILB like Willie Gay, Evan Weaver, Akeem Davis-Gaither could work. But I think Gay is too risky and its too early for Weaver. Akeem Davis-Gaither is a legitimate candidate. Obviously only if they don't draft a ILBer like Brooks earlier.

Who I would pick: Jonathan Greenard - Edge - Florida - 6'-4" 263 lbs. - I just love his athletic ability, balance against the run and pass and supposedly a hard worker off the field. Not the most flexible, but his length and strength make up for it. high floor, lower ceiling type. He makes a ton of sense as an edge opposite of a long, lean Floyd. I wouldn't even mind grabbing him at the end of the 2nd.

3-104. Zack Moss - RB - Utah - 5'-9" 223 lbs. - A big, bigtime power back with some wiggle to him. Hard to bring down. I like his footwork. Not a HR hitter and a 1 cut and go type back. He would be a nice power back to Hendo's speed.

Previous pick - Tyler Biadasz - IOL - Wisconsin

Who else works: Biadasz or Harris at OC. A LG like Stenberg, Hunt, Muti, Jackson or Bredeson make sense if they aren't happy with Corbett or Noteboom. A WR like Duvernay makes almost too much sense if they haven't gotten a WR yet. Tyler Johnson is McVays type of WR. Lastly, Darrynton Evans at RB is more lightning to Henderson's lightning if they like that approach.

Who I would pick: Tyler Biadasz - IOL - Wisconsin - 6'-4" 314 lbs. - OC for any scheme. Excellent mover with a great anchor and good strength. Off season hip surgery slowed him down last season. Followed by shoulder surgery this off season. Could be a heck of a steal. He was the best OC in college football a year ago before his hip surgery. I think he will be just fine and works in a power or zone scheme, so he is no push over like Blythe or Allen.

4-126. Terrell Burgess - S - Utah - 5'-11" 202 lbs. - He's an exciting athlete with good speed and a big time motor. Lack of size might be an issue. Rams spoke to him at the Senior Bowl, and he is a great athlete that is a perfect fit as a 3rd safety. Or slot CB (he is a converted Ccool smiley

Previous pick: Ben Bredeson - IOL - Michigan & Ben Bredeson - IOL - Michigan

Who else makes sense: Bredeson, or any LG I mentioned at 104. CB/S Kenny Robinson from the XFL is an option the Rams spoke to lately. Again, WRs like Duvernay and Johnson would be great value starting here. Evans at RB would be value. Lamical Perine is a RB I like here. As is RB Antonio Gibson. ILB Evan Weaver would be a steal at this point. TE Thad Moss would be pretty nice if he was here. Davis Woodward LB could work here as well. Last but not least, Davion Taylor seems like a real possibility with this pick.

Who would I pick: Kenny Robinson - S/CB - XFL/WVU - 6'-1" 205 lbs. - I was late to the party with him becuae I thought he would just be a FA. Anyhow, he has single high ability with a ballhawk mentality. He needs to clean some stuff up, but he adds some diversity to the DB room with his skill set and range.

6-199. Myles Bryant - CB - Washington - 5'-8" 183 lbs. - another slot CB, plays faster than he ran, explosive movement skills. Rams facetimed him last week and he would be a steal here for a slot replacement for NRC. Rams could use some aggressive nickel CB depth.

previous pick - Mykal Walker - LB - Fresno State & Mykal Walker - LB - Fresno State

Who else makes sense:

Its the 6th round. Start filling holes. CBs, S, WR, RB, are all possibilities. Maybe a DL if they don't have one yet. Maybe an ILB.

Who I would pick: Mykal Walker - LB - Fresno State - 6'-3" 230 lbs. - Has played DE, Edge and ILB. So, he is a movable chess pc. I like him as an ILB in an odd front. Certainly knows how to blitz, can drop into coverage and will stick his nose in the fan in run support. Needs development time, due to so many position changes. He could be a nice inside outside chess piece to develop in round 6. At worst, he'd make a great STer.

7-242. Mohamed Barry - LB - Nebraska - 6'-1" 245 lbs. - A bull in a china shop ILBer with sideline to sideline athleticism. Tough and strong just kinda running around out there hitting things and overrunning other things...Rams have spoken to him and need a developmental ILB next to Kiser. Or to replace Kiser.

Previous pick - Quez Watkins - Southern Miss. & Derrek Tuszka - Edge - NDSU

Who else makes sense: CBs, WRs, S. Another edge like Tuszka.

Who I would pick: Nevelle Clarke - CB - UCF - 6'-1" 190 lbs. - I called him a mini Ramsey. Plays with a swagger and a ballhawk's mentality. Great size for a CB. Easy mover. Needs to add strength and some weight to reach his full potential. Rams need CB depth, so he fits the bill.

So I filled WR, RB, OC on Offense. Edge, ILB, S, CB on defense.

A few issues:
1. I have no feel for what Staley is looking for in an Edge. So I fully expect to miss on that position. I think a dream scenario for the Rams would be for Baun to drop within their range. If Floyd is their type of guy, then Okwara or Terrell make the most sense. If they want a more run/pass balanced edge, then Weaver or Greenard are your choices along with Anae. If they aren't afraid of smaller edge rushers, Uche would be a real good fit.

2. ILB - I feel like they really want a rangy one to pair with Kiser, so it almost has to be Brooks early, Davis-Gaither or Taylor in the middle or Barry and Brown late. I guess it just depends on who's on the board when they pick.

3. The last question I have is what are the Rams looking at as far as a WR. I'd be shocked if the Rams do not address this deep class of WR early. You could literally end up with a first round talent WR at 52. Those chances just never come around that often. So the question now is what are they looking at. Big and physical, a contested ball and redzone guy, a small flyer, someone more electric in the open field? I have no feel at all.

4. I felt like a TE later on was needed, and I am sure with trading around they will add one, my guess is Charlie Taumoepeau really late.

As always comments and questions always welcome.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 09:54AM by Deadpool.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2020 Mock Draft 3.0

Deadpool1109April 21, 2020 09:53AM

Re: I predict/hope for similar....

spagsbacker274April 21, 2020 09:58AM

yeah, I am not a fan of Harris

Deadpool312April 21, 2020 10:04AM

That looks like a haul

Rams Junkie279April 21, 2020 10:00AM

Re: Deadpool's 2020 Mock Draft 3.0....I could live with that one!

Rampage2K-231April 21, 2020 10:10AM

Hidden gems are tough this time of year

Deadpool232April 21, 2020 03:32PM

Re: Hidden gems are tough this time of year

Rampage2K-201April 21, 2020 03:43PM

Couldn't agree more

Deadpool261April 21, 2020 03:58PM

2020 NFL Draft: The Curious Case of Tee Higgins

Rams Junkie244April 21, 2020 10:10AM

I also have them taking Lewis

droopy255April 21, 2020 10:15AM

here is what I did on Aiyuk