Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A few random thoughts as we are inside one week from the draft...

April 16, 2020 11:07AM
dzrams
I'm always one of the ones cautioning about putting too much hope into immediate dividends from draft picks. Most don't produce a ton in their rookie seasons. That said, I do feel there are more spots or a greater chance for starters than what you have here.

Here's my list:

Blythe - Ruiz for sure and IMO Hennessey, Cushenberry, and maybe Biadasz could potentially start over Blythe. If the pick isn't early, it's not happening.
Corbett - I think any number of draftees up to the early 4th round could potentially upend Corbett at LG. I don't even feel that Corbett is penciled in at LG right now. Even with no draft picks, he'll probably compete against Evans and maybe even NB.
Deep threat WR - If they use a premium pick for Cooks' role, chances are likely the rookie starts.
ILB (2) - As Snead has stated, all of our guys are inexperienced so both positions are open for a talented rookie to start since the guy the draftee would be displacing isn't much more experienced.
Edge - Probably Floyd, Ebu, and OBO have the edge here (pun intended) so it's unlikely a year 1 player starts but the possibility is definitely there.

I count about 6 potential places where a draft pick can be a starter right out of the gate. In fact, I would say if we don't have draft picks starting or at the very least heavily contributing at these 6 positions above, we're in serious trouble this year because all of these positions are very suspect with the bodies we currently have in place.

Two things.

First, I don’t disagree that there are maybe 6 different positions where a new starter could be drafted. But I seriously doubt that more than 2 are likely to fall to the Rams as the Rams spend their picks. Maaaaaybe 3 if a guy falls to 84, I suppose. But I wouldn’t bet on it. Good players will surely be there through at least 104, but guys capable of being rookie starters? Not so much, IMO.

Second, we seem to be miles apart on Corbett. Almost like we’re not watching the same player. I’m not saying he’s a Pro Bowler just yet, just saying that I seriously doubt that any player falling to the Rams that Snead even felt was BPA could beat out Corbett in’20. That’s the critical part, a rookie OG capable of beating out Corbett this year. I’m thinking Ruiz is the only IOL player likely to be within sniffing distance as a Snead BPA target at 52, and I think Ruiz, if he even fell would be drafted as a C.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few random thoughts as we are inside one week from the draft...

Rams43517April 16, 2020 10:00AM

Awesome post!

RamBum220April 16, 2020 10:21AM

Likely rookie playing time

cool_hand_luke225April 16, 2020 10:59AM

dzrams210April 16, 2020 10:41AM

Rams43206April 16, 2020 11:07AM

dzrams178April 16, 2020 12:07PM

Rams43233April 16, 2020 02:38PM

oldschoolramfan137April 16, 2020 02:55PM

SoCalRAMatic262April 16, 2020 03:21PM