Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well, I find myself going back and forth about best off-season OL strategy...

March 04, 2020 08:44AM
I'm not sure I can help you out but I'll give you my vote.

I am firmly in the camp of signing or trading for a very good vet OG. Trai Turner would be an acceptable option as would signing Scherff or Thuney in free agency.

My rationale is this. We may have the making of a solid OL already on the roster with the names you list. Given their performance at the end of the year I believe that. However, I don't believe they have the potential to be much more than solid/decent/average. I don't see any of them that look like they will be standout performers; they all appear solid to me with Whit being the best among them but declining.

And if I'm the Rams, I would have a goal of having an OL that is much better than solid. Our QB has strengths and weaknesses. His strength is, when he's strongly protected, he's awesome. His weakness is, when he's not strongly protected, he's subpar. Given this, my opinion is they cannot afford to have less than one of the top rated OLs. They need to get as close to a guarantee of strong protection for Goff as they can. To do that, they're going to need some more vet experience and a standout performer somewhere along the line. I believe the injection of a premium guard would have the same effect as signing Whit did in 2017.

I've also assessed their salary cap situation to the best of my ability and I don't feel that paying a premium guard is prohibitive given our current cap situation. It would, however, require a tough choice and that's always been the case. It would mean both Fowler and Littleton walk. I think they still would have a path to extending Ramsey and Kupp for sure and possibly JJ if they feel he's a piece to build with.

Losing both Fowler and Littleton is a price I'm willing to pay if it ensures that Goff gets great protection with a firmly above average OL. A merely solid OL is simply not good enough IMO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well, I find myself going back and forth about best off-season OL strategy...

Rams43357March 04, 2020 08:16AM

Re: Well, I find myself going back and forth about best off-season OL strategy...

dzrams190March 04, 2020 08:44AM

Rams43225March 04, 2020 11:09AM

dzrams173March 04, 2020 11:52AM

best off-season OL strategy

LMU93182March 04, 2020 12:12PM

Re: best off-season OL strategy

dzrams157March 04, 2020 12:48PM

RDU162March 04, 2020 12:53PM

Deadhead Ram196March 04, 2020 08:51AM

I wish/hope we can

OzRam248March 04, 2020 10:42AM

Here is an excerpt from a related thread from another board about possibly acquiring Cordy Glenn or Trai Turner...

Rams43187March 04, 2020 01:27PM