Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I think he'll be a fine MIKE

February 24, 2020 07:15PM
IMO Kiser lasted until the 5th round because he is a role player in today's NFL. He actually was drafted to play the Mike ILB in the Rams 4-3 defense (not Sam) where he would be the primary run-stopping ILB while Littleton plays the Mo ILB position, which has more coverage responsibilities.

In the Rams defense he would only be on the field on obvious run downs and would therefore be on the bench 65% of the time. Guys that don't see the field much don't get picked high - it's as simple as that. Beyond that, his best shot in the NFL is as a Mike in a 4-3 and that dropped his stock. And not every team with a 4-3 defense was in the market for a Mike, and that dropped his stock even further.

That being said, Kiser should be a really good in that role based on his college production: he has a limited skill set, but the skills he does have line up exactly with his role on this defense.

I copied a pre-draft analysis from Walter Football below ( [walterfootball.com] ) It goes into more detail, but at least look at the part I bolded. It pretty much describes Kiser's exact role with the Rams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skill-Set Summary: Even though the NFL is a passing-driven league, pro defenses still have a place for a run-stuffing interior linebacker. Such players may be rotational, but they are key to goal-line, short-yardage, and four-minute defenses. In the older era of pro football, Kiser would be a more in-demand player, but he still should fill a role as a professional.

Kiser is a physical in-the-box defender against the run. He is thick, strong and sturdy, plus can diagnose plays and read his keys well. Kiser also tackles consistently, physically taking to the ball-carriers to the ground. While Kiser is an intelligent, instinctive defender, he doesn't possess sideline-to-sideline speed or elite athleticism. Kiser makes up his lack of elite attributes by being a tough interior linebacker at the point of attack.

In pass coverage, Kiser is going to need development for the NFL to be a three-down starter. Kiser isn't fast or fluid in pass coverage, so pro offenses could single him out for mismatch plays. Virginia often uses him as a pass-rusher by having him blitz off the edge or rush up the middle, and that is a more natural fit for Kiser as he can use his instincts and downhill quickness to pressure quarterbacks.

Kiser has some athletic limitations for the NFL. He is not a fast linebacker, not a fluid athlete, lacks lateral speed, and can have issues redirecting. Trimming some weight down might help him a little, but Kiser could be limited to being more of a run-stuffing linebacker for the pro game.

In the NFL, Kiser would fit best as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense with a fast run-and-chase linebacker next to him. For a 4-3 defense, Kiser will need to develop pass-coverage skills to serve as a three-down starter at Mike (middle) linebacker. He doesn't have the speed and athleticism to be a Will (weak side) linebacker, but he could be a nice fit as a Sam (strong side) linebacker who is tough against the run and also contributes as a blitzer off the edge.

AlbaNY_Ram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Micah Kiser is healthy, poised to carve out role in 2020...

Rams43491February 24, 2020 09:04AM

I think he'll be a fine SAM

Ram_Ruler158February 24, 2020 09:39AM

Re: I think he'll be a fine SAM

Classicalwit139February 24, 2020 09:53AM

LMU93146February 24, 2020 09:56AM

Classicalwit125February 24, 2020 10:24AM

LMU93101February 24, 2020 10:30AM

nicecatchellard148February 24, 2020 10:36AM

Rams43115February 24, 2020 12:12PM

Classicalwit131February 24, 2020 02:08PM

Rams43103February 24, 2020 02:29PM

AlbaNY_Ram102February 24, 2020 07:15PM

LMU9388February 25, 2020 03:25AM

alyoshamucci149February 24, 2020 12:21PM

PHDram103February 24, 2020 05:59PM

perspective on Kiser/ILB- it's a part-time position

LMU93165February 24, 2020 12:03PM

Ah, yes. That time of year where all players for every team are on the edge of stardom

NewMexicoRam187February 24, 2020 06:02PM

Re: Ah, yes. That time of year where all players for every team are on the edge of stardom

Classicalwit222February 25, 2020 03:28AM

Re: Rainbows and unicorns

merlin106February 25, 2020 06:39AM