Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An excellent post on possible Ram coaching moves by Merlin...

December 29, 2019 06:42AM
Here’s Merlin...

So the madness is already starting up a bit in the media with guys like Foolio drawing parallels between Demoff and Bruce Allen, and rumors around the league of who is going to be out of a job. All I can say at this point is there are potentially some talented coaches who might be on the move, and these are the life blood of the NFL and part of the reason (along with talent) that fortunes rise and fall every season.

Who will the Rams have their eyes on? Well here's my guess fwiw.

1. Bill Callahan. Possible Roles: OL Coach, OC and/or Run Game Coordinator. The Redskins connection is going to be real I think. McVay and Callahan were very tight on that staff in their gameplanning, and that is something I am sure he is looking for given the dropoff in offensive scheme this year. Two areas I have noticed this the most is in their run blocking assignments (a lot of bizarre assignments that look very difficult for the given run call as well as reach blocks), and their route combinations in the passing game (way too many down/distance tendencies with defenses all over the routes). Bill wouldn't fix both things, but he would give Sean a run game buddy he trusts and enjoys gameplanning with.

2. Doug Marrone. Possible Roles: OC and/or Run Game Coordinator. The situation in Jax is a bit nuts so who knows if Marrone will be fired. But I think if he is, and if the Rams bring him in, his pairing with a passing game mind like McVay would be an ideal situation. This is a coach with a strong knowledge of blocking schemes and he is a good gameplanner in all things OL from protections to the run blocking. In the event Callahan is not brought in, or if he is offered more money or responsibility elsewhere and things don't work out, Marrone is a very nice backup plan.

3. Jason Garrett. Possible Roles: OC. I don't feel like this is likely or anything but it is possible. Garrett is a smart dude who has ten years of experience and needs a break from owner micromanagement, and in return he's under an offensive mind who can help recharge him while he also helps McVay get his offense back on track. This would be the obvious "experienced OC" hire and McVay might be ready for that who knows. Like with Richards it seems like there's a chance Jerry Jones doesn't want to leave his comfort zone (he's got a head coach who will entertain his BS unlike some other more proven types) but if they don't make the playoffs I think he hits the streets. And I don't think they're going to beat Philly we'll see though.

Now one thing that is very noteworthy is that there will be some 4-3 DCs on the market this offseason. But I don't like any of them, at least not the ones I've been looking at. Richards (Dallas Passing Game DC) is too steeped in the Seattle way with the long CBs and cover 2 style of play. Wilks (Browns DC) converted a solid 3-4 defense to a 4-3 in Arizona and never did restack the personnel correctly resulting in his firing in large part. Quinn (Falcons HC) oversaw a five year window of mediocrity and a defense that cost them a championship. In the event Wade is out, and this is just my opinion, the Rams need to stay the course with the 3-4 because we don't have the DEs nor do we have the draft capital to restack things.

So I am going to keep looking at the DCs, that's an effort in progress. But I do have one guy I'd really like to bring in: Steve Belichick. Now I know some will think I'm nuts here, but he comes with a lot of advantages that warrant an interview. First, he has worked for the best DC in the history of the game for the past eight or so years (not all meaningful positions, granted, but he has intimate knowledge of how his father does his thing). Second, he took over the secondary this season with excellent results. And I'll add here that I feel like Belichick isn't the kind of guy who will give his kid a raise until he's more than earned it, and obviously he was ready. Third, I believe the most critical element in today's game, and the heart and soul of what Belichick does, is the secondary and stifling the passing game. And lastly, the dude has the greatest DC ever a phone call away to help him navigate the minefield of coordinating a defense.

Anyway, Black Monday is almost on us so interested in hearing what your options are or who you think we're going to get after. (y)
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An excellent post on possible Ram coaching moves by Merlin...

Rams43643December 29, 2019 06:42AM

Re: That was good

leafnose296December 29, 2019 06:50AM

Re: An excellent post on possible Ram coaching moves by Merlin...

RAMpant Defense216December 29, 2019 07:12AM

Ekern55195December 29, 2019 07:36AM

Rams43209December 29, 2019 07:38AM

Agree 43

ABQRam219December 29, 2019 07:46AM

not a "loaded roster"

zn235December 29, 2019 07:49AM

Re: not a "loaded roster"

Ekern55217December 29, 2019 07:57AM

Classicalwit306December 29, 2019 10:59AM

Rams43226December 29, 2019 08:34AM

Re: have to agree