Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good Summary UK, let tme add

November 26, 2019 03:17AM
RamUK
Firstly, I’m not defending that utter capitulation last night. It was grim to watch, and I stuck it out until the last knee was taken.

Secondly, I think it’s clear, McVay didn’t have that team ready.

When I say I think it’s clear, that’s because we need to view the performance with hindsight.

At the moment we really don’t know whether the Ravens are good, historically good, or, somewhere in between.

If they march through the 9ers next week on their way to hoisting the Lombardi then we may just have been unfortunate enough to meet them in the same was as we were meeting The Bears in 85.

There were a few people in the chat room last night slamming Goff and calling for McVay to go.

Here’s the thing I don’t understand with that.

If Goff really is poor, then that makes the job McVay did last season even the more remarkable.

It suggests that he really can coach very well under the right circumstances.

And Belichick notwithstanding, all coaches need the right circumstances. They all ebb and flow.

I’m waiting for the fire Andy Smith stuff to kick off again as he seems to have allowed his team to plateau, or even drop back, yet again.

I would be devastated if we let McVay go, or even pushed him out the door.

What he has done for this organization is nothing short of incredible.

I could of course point to BB who took (I think and I’m too lazy to look it up) 6 years to get going.

McVay is suffering because he did so well and over-achieved to begin with.

But, he’s till so frickin young.

Perhaps there was a touch of arrogance after last season with him and Snead, but who could have blamed them?

That’s just human nature. It wasn’t like that arrogance meant they didn’t try to make the team better.

MOST people on here saw the inevitability of letting Saffold go. Yet now MOST people think it was a mistake.

That’s a cognitive heuristic called hindsight bias in which we think after a major decision it was easier to make than we remembered, or an event was easier to predict.

We’re nearly always wrong.

And in any case, whereas that has had an impact, it’s not one we couldn’t have rode out if everything else had panned out.

We have been incredibly lucky avoiding injuries for the last two seasons. That luck has come to a shuddering halt this year and we don’t have the depth to paper over the cracks.

If I was Stan I’d be having a quiet word with Sean and saying, ‘your job is safe at the very least until the end of next season’.

I’d then be sitting down with him and Snead and maybe Wade (if he is kept on and I’m on the fence with that one because the D has played great the few games before last night - so again I want to know how good the Ravens are before I panic) and look to bring in somebody to help out. A Vermeil type of figure who has been there and done that.

McVay is clearly super smart and loves to learn. The last part may be the bit that has been missing this year (I think) and perhaps that was down to the arrogance of two VERY successful seasons.

We have had years and years of misery, so let’s not forget the last two seasons.

Hell, this year has been better than those under Fisher!

I highly doubt McVay’s going to feel arrogant this morning, but I have no doubt that he’ll just work harder and look for solutions.

As for Goff. I think it’s all been said.

If I were the Rams I’d be scouring the world for the single best sports psychologist they can find because at least 80% of his issues are in his head.

The mental aspect of sports at this level is so underrated by most people.

Goff can, and has, hit gorgeous long balls.

He has avoided pressure and still stayed calm.

And, he has looked unflappable and like a true leader.

All those things are gone. Of course, the Oline is what started the process, but it’s beyond that now and he needs help.

I’m far more concerned about Goff than I am McVay.

Just as an aside, I think the single biggest mistake this organization has made was signing Ramsey.

They clearly didn’t know about Gurley and Goff was par for the course for a Pro Bowl QB and I cannot remember a single poster in outrage when they extended him.

Again, both are easy decisions with hindsight bias - not at the time.

I thought, and sill think, the Ramsey signing was flat out dumb. Hopefully, in 5 years time I’ll be saying with hindsight bias that it was clearly the best thing to do!

As for Harbaugh winding up his own fans. Good for him. I don’t get all this not classy BS. He was having fun in the moment after an outstanding win on MNF, I don’t begrudge him or their fans that.

McVay will be fine - we know they underestimated the time to get a new line in place - he has to manage some adversity now, how he does the rest of the year will be very telling.

They got Ramsey cause they saw him as the final piece to the puzzle on D - not sure about that - D got smoked by Ravens, Bucs, Seahawks, gave up 27 to Panthers - that's 4 games of unacceptable performances - Wade has to do a better job period. The D got full of itself beating on the has been offenses the last few weeks. But I don't think anyone saw last night coming - 5 straight TD's? That's a permanent stain on Wades legacy.

Its party time on Goff for sure but he will be fine if the team around him performs as well - he got his second contract - like a bunch of other guys have and will.

6 and 5 is still a lot better than the 90's - expectations be damned.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

In defense of McVay

RamUK623November 26, 2019 03:04AM

That's a better defense..

sstrams323November 26, 2019 03:09AM

Re: I was outraged we extended Goff.

spagsbacker304November 26, 2019 03:14AM

Good Summary UK, let tme add

Hazlet Hacksaw343November 26, 2019 03:17AM

just hit reply not quote

ferragamo79243November 26, 2019 04:31AM

yeah wrong button

Hazlet Hacksaw194November 26, 2019 04:44AM

no worries my friend

ferragamo79162November 26, 2019 05:08AM

172-46

LMU93231November 26, 2019 03:21AM

That is pretty scary

RamUK184November 26, 2019 03:29AM

Great post UK. nm

Ram Fan Teacher156November 26, 2019 03:29AM

Re: In defense of McVay

zn194November 26, 2019 03:31AM

Hazlet Hacksaw190November 26, 2019 03:35AM

Agree 90%

3030201November 26, 2019 03:44AM

I'm on the fence

RamUK183November 26, 2019 04:25AM

One game does not a season make

ferragamo79145November 26, 2019 04:40AM

Deadhead Ram167November 26, 2019 04:52AM

i have NEVER seen a running/option Navy-style offense.....

SunTzu_vs_Camus202November 26, 2019 05:56AM

Re: i have NEVER seen a running/option Navy-style offense.....

Ohiorams195November 26, 2019 06:08AM