Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Great post, I started digging and came to a few conclusions

October 16, 2019 07:46PM
Corbett was was overdrafted by a Browns team that just cannot seem to get out of its way. And I'm not talking about just my rankings (I had him ranked #107) NFL.com had his grade as a 5.79 (a chance to become a starter), He was drafted at #33. Joe Noteboom, had a score of 5.75 and was drafted 89th overall. That tells me he was overdrafted. On top of that, he played OT, OG and OC at Nevada after walking on. IMO if he is as smart as everyone says he is, then let him settle into one position and learn it. Otherwise, he is never going to get settled with his technique.

You are right with Young. I went back into my draft notes from 2018 and found some interesting things:
1. The Rams had him in for a private visit. You only get 30, so they must have had some interest at some point in early 2018.
2. According to his NFL.com grade he should have been drafted in the 6th round. Baltimore over drafted him in the 4th. The Rams took Kiser 25 picks later.
3. The Rams also picked up Tegrey Scales as an UDFA. Very similar skillset as Young, just a tad smaller.

That led me to dig into Wade's defense a little more, and what I found was (according to articles) is that his defense is softest in the short middle of the field. He resolved this issue by using Danny Trevathan, a 6'-0" 235 lb. athletic LBer that can move and cover, and Brandon Marshall a 6'-1" 242 lb linebacker with enough athletic ability to make plays sideline to sideline.

My thinking is Littleton could team up with Young in base situations and solidify the softest part of the scheme. Esp. considering the addition of Ramsey should finally let Phillips unleash his type of defense. Which leads me to Ramsey:

I get the love for Ramsey. He's an alpha in every sense of the word. He demands man coverage and against the best. it'll be interesting if he gets the best. I would assume he does, although I like the idea of locking down #2 and doubling #1. I also get that you don't get Jalen Ramsey types at pick 30 very often if ever.

It should also allow for Wade to finally play press man and to get aggressive with his front seven, combine that with the addition of Young to be able to cover more ground then Reeder or Hager in the base defense and Rapp to continue to play that big nickel backer in passing downs and Wade's defense might finally start clicking this year.

I don't care nearly as much about draft picks as some on this board seem to think I do. What i am concerned about is the cap. There will be casualties from Ramsey's contract. And he will get a contract. You don't show up in a brinks truck and make a big scene about it if you aren't concerned about getting paid. Plus I think Ramsey demands respect, and he equates money to respect. Right or wrong, he's getting his. And the Rams have no choice but to pay him. No contract, no show. And forget the tag. lol.

The other thing that bothers me is that this does nothing to solve the offensive woes. Goff is off, Gurley is not vintage Gurley anymore and the line has been slowly deteriorating. Most of this is on the OL. I know Rampage says a good D will help a struggling O, but it just gives them more opportunities to shoot themselves in the foot. But, I am assuming there was no real route to solving the OL issues. And since the Rams are allergic to using a 1st round pick on offensive lineman,. all the picks they gave up won't stop the Rams from drafting one in the middle rounds.

I have no issues with this trade as long as 2 conditions are met. First, if JJ and Kupp get re-signed. Beyond the core of AD, Goff, Gurley and Ramsey, those are the only 2 I am concerned about. Second, as long as Ramsey helps get the defense back to a top 10 unit. Anything less is a fail, because they are middle of the pack as it stood.

I have a few questions that are still bothering me. Feel free to answer at will:

1. Everyone (almost) is so excited about how the Rams are making football exciting by making all these trades. But lets looks at what they've gotten out of these trades:
a) Sammy Watkins and a 6th for Gaines and a 2nd. That fizzled out and Watkins was gone in a year. They recouped a comp 3rd rounder. So it was basically a swap of a 2nd for a 3rd and a year of Watkins.No big deal because we were told it was Cooks the Rams wanted all along. So:

b) Rams trade a 1st and 6th for Cooks and a 4th. He was the guy that is going to make it all go. Signed him to a contract extension 5 years and 81 mil. Last year was good, but this year (not all his fault) has him on pace for about 60 900 and 3. Or basically stat wise the #3 WR on the team.

c) Marcus Peters for 2nd a 4th and 6th. He was ok here. But too inconsistent and was never a fit, because he was a zone cb that loved to bait. He never had the chops of skillset for press man. Which begs the question: if he was such a poor fit, why bother. Save the picks and go get a press man corner. or OL depth or a edge rusher. Don't make a trade just because or because maybe he will fit...so now you trade him for a 5th. Its not a good look IMO.

So while I get the excitement and Cooks might work out (concussions are scary and they are piling up) the Rams are 1 for 3 in the trade department and the Ramsey trade will seemingly make of break this version of the Rams IMO. And for the question in all of this: Should we really trust that the Rams brass actually knows what its doing as far as making trades or just spending draft capital to throw darts at a dartboard, and hope they hit a bullseye?

2. I wonder if Chris Harris Jr, who played under Wade, and has made comments about wanting to play for him again was any consideration. This year, or as a FA next year instead of Ramsey for half the cost? I get the age and skill differences, just wondering if he was in any conversations.

3. I have to think Brockers is gone as they will have no cap for him, which leads me to my next question. Where is Donalds DL and Edge rushing help coming from next year? 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks are not going to cut it for every hole this team will have next year. And basement bargain FAs isn't really a fix.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

After waiting overnight to gather my thoughts...

Rams43983October 16, 2019 09:13AM

Re: After waiting overnight to gather my thoughts...

NorCalRamFan300October 16, 2019 09:21AM

Re: After waiting overnight to gather my thoughts...

Deadhead Ram310October 16, 2019 09:33AM

they wanted him last trade deadline

ferragamo79283October 16, 2019 09:37AM

Re: This has Snead's fingerprints all over it...

dzrams386October 16, 2019 09:45AM

Good rationale.

Deadhead Ram237October 16, 2019 10:03AM

Re: Good rationale.

dzrams291October 16, 2019 10:08AM

A question for the deep thinkers on our board. (Just kidding)

Rams43295October 16, 2019 10:15AM

Maybe they figured..

sstrams351October 16, 2019 11:04AM

I think the Rams can scratch in claw around the O line in 2019.

Ramgator236October 16, 2019 11:22AM

Re: A question for the deep thinkers on our board. (Just kidding)

Rampage2K-250October 16, 2019 11:13AM

Well Said 2K!

Ramadune224October 16, 2019 12:18PM

Re: A question for the deep thinkers on our board. (Just kidding)

waterfield163October 17, 2019 06:17AM

Thanks for thinking about this overnight 43! So I don't have to!

Ramadune232October 16, 2019 12:16PM

Great post, I started digging and came to a few conclusions

Deadpool242October 16, 2019 07:46PM

Re: Great post, I started digging and came to a few conclusions

dzrams200October 16, 2019 08:32PM

Four Pillars of a franchise

RamsDynasty166October 17, 2019 06:13AM

We could recoup the two 1sts easily. imo

SunTzu_vs_Camus330October 17, 2019 04:14AM