Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

From Rams Q&A: Vinny Bonsignore (courtesy of zn)...

September 25, 2019 06:13AM
from Rams Q&A: Vinny Bonsignore

Goff seems off. Not just this year. Also in December. I understand it’s probably for many reasons. But he’s not showing he’s an elite quarterback. Sometimes very good? Yes. Elite? No.

There is no argument his overall play hasn't been as sharp. He has to shoulder that responsibility. But I also think the OL slipped late last year as well, and I haven't seen the improvements in the line this far this year. Goff is going to have to figure out a way to be as efficient and elite without as much help from the protection and, as we've seen, from Gurley

Sunday was the first time I can recall McVay being visibly frustrated on the sidelines with Goff. He didn't express those views in the post game as I wouldn't expect him to. Do you get any sense from McVay regarding his feelings about Goff's play this year?

He'll never throw anyone under the bus. I think he's frustrated with the inconsistency of the entire offensive operation, and that includes the QB at times. That said, overall and really in all three games, when needed the most Goff has played winning football by being productive and efficient on key drives in each game. And there is recognition of that. The key is making that kind of play more the norm over the course of full games. And I think that's equally on Jared, the rest of the offense and McVay. They're all playing a role in the offense being a little bit off thus far

Hey Vinny, in your honest opinion, do you think Todd is actually unhealthy? His demeanor to me suggests that he's unhappy with the workload he's getting. And why isn't McVay using him in the passing game?

Sunday was the first time I really thought he didn't look like his normal self. But sans him completely saying he's not 100 percent, we're all left to guess. It doesn't help that the Rams haven't been able to run block at a high level yet either. So is it more that, is it more Todd?

Is part of the offense problems in part because of an expanding playbook and responsibilities for Goff?

Always been my experience that less then efficient offensive line plays impacts the play of QB, RB and also the playcalling of the play callers. I think if the Rams can get that group back up at a higher level, everything else will get elevated

Do the Rams have a Goff problem or is the OL the issue?

I think it's more of an offensive line issue. And I think we saw some of that late last year. I also think Gurley's status plays into it. That said, Goff needs to be even more efficient, precise and productive given all those other factors.

Hey, Vinny. I saw a stat saying the Rams are the only team that has targeted running backs less than 10% of passing plays.

I think there's a concerted effort to monitor Gurley's usage. I don't think there is great confidence in Malcolm as a receiver. So until Henderson shows he's ready - and that's in the classroom just as much as the practice/playing field, I think it'll stay this way

McVay said recently that Gurley isn't on a 'load management' program but his usage thus far seems to contradict this.

He is absolutely on a monitored usage basis

Has anyone asked McVay about his clock management? Feels like they're always low on time outs.

I've talked to him about that more than a few times. He wants to be careful of time out use and he understands the importance of keeping them for end of half and end of game situation. But instinctively he also understands there are situations that come up in games that are so important to get it right - the right play for the right defensive look, let's say, to keep a drive alive or get points or whatever, he'll utilize the timeout tool in order to get that situation as buttoned up as possible.

What did you think of the browns last drive on Sunday night? Was there any justification from your point of view, of them not running the ball once? Is there anything disgruntled browns fans are missing?

Man, you have to at least run once there. Heck even let Baker roll it out and see of he can push the second level back enough to create a five-yard window for him to race through. As I said on the podcast, I think the Browns as a whole have some growing up and maturing to do. I don't say that in a negative way. I just think to take that step from a pretty good team to a very good team it takes a level of maturity in all phases of the operation. Coaching too.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

From Rams Q&A: Vinny Bonsignore (courtesy of zn)...

Rams43831September 25, 2019 06:13AM

starts with the OL

LMU93333September 25, 2019 06:29AM

McVay gaining a reputation as a liar

max370September 25, 2019 07:10AM

Re: McVay gaining a reputation as a liar

RinconRam325September 25, 2019 07:16AM

Re: McVay gaining a reputation as a liar

max285September 25, 2019 07:25AM

Plus...

ramsfaninmd403September 25, 2019 07:28AM

I think that's a big exaggeration

zn372September 25, 2019 07:40AM

Re: I think that's a big exaggeration

max284September 25, 2019 08:34AM

zn404September 25, 2019 09:33AM

waterfield310September 25, 2019 09:57AM

zn239September 25, 2019 10:08AM

Classicalwit256September 25, 2019 10:51AM

McVay is youthfully idealistic

GarlicExile374September 25, 2019 08:28AM

all NFL coaches have to be good liars.....

Rampage2K-295September 25, 2019 08:36AM

Hopefully he's as good as Bellichek when all is said and done

promomasterj205September 25, 2019 08:58AM

Ha. I love what he's saying...

max301September 25, 2019 09:43AM

Re: Ha. I love what he's saying...

Rampage2K-231September 25, 2019 11:11AM

Re: Ha. I love what he's saying...

george_allen228September 25, 2019 04:29PM