Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wildflecken’s Random thoughts on the 2019 Rams during OTA’s...

May 28, 2019 06:32AM
Here’s Wildflecken...

1.) Teams establish a new identity for each and every season. Coaches must set new challenges continually or their message becomes stale. Coaches with stale messages are often seeking new employment. What challenges will McVay set for the 2019 Rams? Does the 2019 schedule play a role in the identity McVay sets for his recipe of winning football?

While I do not expect the core philosophy of winning all three phases of the game to change, I do expect schematic changes on both sides of the football.

2.) Why am I optimistic about the 2019 season? It begins with my expectations for Jared Goff. Goff has followed the same trajectory in the NFL as he did in college, improving his play each and every season. Some of the games brightest defensive minds in 2018 gave Jared plenty to work on this offseason. It began in Detroit with the schematic approach implemented by Matt Patricia, continued in Chicago and cumulated in the Super Bowl.

My guess here is a large part of Goff's offseason was spent in film study, identifying ways to best handle the three high safety alignment and on recognizing overloads and shifts amongst the defensive line. If Goff has mastered for 2019 how to best handle these situations within the confines of the McVay offense, the future is bright indeed.

3.) Despite the roster's offensive firepower, McVay leaning towards the Rams establishing more of a dominant defensive identity for 2019 would not shock me.

While I expect McVay to remain aggressive each and every offensive series and explosive plays to be dialed up weekly, McVay leaning heavier on the running attack, dual TE sets with a goal of longer, clock eating drives when playing with a lead is anticipated.

Will the addition of both Evans and Edwards have McVay finally implementing his six offensive lineman package he used in Washington? Or is there a three TE package on the horizon? The Rams have three promising UDFA tight ends competing for a spot on this roster. I do expect a power component to be a larger part of the 2019 offense.

4.) Many appear frustrated Wade does not dial up the blitz more frequently. Well I believe these folks will remain frustrated in 2019. I also believe the 2019 Rams defense will generate more pressure in 2019 than they have since Wade's arrival.

A full offseason with the Rams should benefit Fowler immensely. Mathews proved in 2018 he could still get to the qb. The arrival of Mathews means a fresher EBU on the snaps dedicated his way. Ebu is another talent who has played inside in the past.

And if I was right on JFM when he was drafted last season that he is indeed a future Pro Bowler, he should take huge strides forward in 2019.

But for those who know the intricate details of the Wade Phillips defense and when his one gap 3 -4 has its most success is when he has the cover personnel he desires in the back end. It is my belief the 2019 Rams have just that.

The Rams generating pressure with these talents can only mean good things for a player named Aaron Donald
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wildflecken’s Random thoughts on the 2019 Rams during OTA’s...

Rams43701May 28, 2019 06:32AM

generating more pressure in 2019

LMU93189May 28, 2019 07:25AM

There are legit reasons for optimism re Rams ‘19 D...

Rams43184May 28, 2019 07:42AM

Re: There are legit reasons for optimism re Rams ‘19 D...

zn187May 28, 2019 08:52AM

edge rushing

LMU93119May 28, 2019 09:03AM

Re: There are legit reasons for optimism re Rams ‘19 D...

dzrams106May 28, 2019 01:06PM

all fair points

LMU93177May 28, 2019 08:59AM

About the ‘19 vs the ‘18 Ram D? I’ll keep this as simple as I can...

Rams43122May 28, 2019 09:39AM

Re: About the ‘19 vs the ‘18 Ram D? I’ll keep this as simple as I can...

zn124May 28, 2019 10:38AM