Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 2019 Rams draft recap - long

May 25, 2019 12:11PM
Reading Alyo's outstanding draft recap and the responses made me realize I hadn't posted one of my own. Apologies. It gets crazy around draft time and this year was no different. Still calving, getting ready to plant corn and this year included a possible large land purchase along with doubling my cattle herd and tripling my pasture. I kinda lost track of Rams stufff post-draft.

Anyhow, just so I have a notes in a post I can look back on for next year, here is how I did prediction-wise:

61. Taylor Rapp - big board #39, Rams Stacked Board #25
70. Darrell Henderson - big board #101, Rams stacked board #51
79. David Long - big board #91, Rams stacked board #59
97. Bobby Evans - big board #131, Rams stacked board #81
134. Greg Gaines - big board #187, Rams stacked board NR
169. David Edwards - big board #51, Rams Stacked Board #31
243. - Nick Scott - big board NR, Rams stacked board NR
251. - Dakota Allen - big board #222, Rams stacked board NR

Taylor Rapp - From draft day:

Taylor Rapp - 6'-0" 208 lbs SS
He was my #1 S for the 2019 season after the 2018 draft.
#39 overall #3 S - a SS with ok range. He'll earn his paycheck playing closer to the LoS and being that extra run stopper. Physical with an edge.

From 10/30/18 on college players:

"My personal early favorite S is the kid from Washington, Taylor Rapp."

[ramsrule.com]

So yup, liked him alot already last fall.

Anyhow:

Positives:
Smart, heady player
Takes great angles
Covers a lot of field
loves to thump
outstanding tackler
High IQ, motor and character
I never saw anyone get behind him as I recall

Negatives
Doesn't make a ton of plays on the ball
stiffness is going to be an issue in coverage
No idea what his hands are like

Personally I like the pick, although I would have gone another direction, he is obviously a guy I loved early on in the process. its kinda fun when I find a quote from myself loving a Rams pick 6 months away. He wins with smarts, a high motor, and physicality. I worry about his ball skills, but not too much.

After a month to let the draft sink in, this pick made a bunch of sense in one regard and no sense whatsoever in another regard. The Rams used a bunch of "Big nickel" defensive packages this season, and I am assuming this is where Rapp fits in. Washington used him either in the box or single high literally 25 yards off the LoS. So he was almost always moving forward. He is faster than his timed speed and an injury was the reason he ran slower, but I'm still not convinced he is going to be great in coverage, which might limit him to that 3rd S/4th LB hybrid role. As far as Big Nickel, the team that uses that defense the most in the NFL is, NE. A lot if teams run it, including the Rams, so maybe the Rams want to run more of it like NE does. This theory will lead me down the road to another draft pick, Greg Gaines, later on. Where Rapp desn't make sense, As a replacement for Weddle, unless he gets some seasoning and can prove to be serviceable as a starting strong safety. (He very well could)

Darrell Henderson - from draft day:

Darrell Henderson - 5'-8" 208 lbs. RB

8. (101) Darrell Henderson - RB - Memphis - 5'-8" 208 lbs. - Slippery in space with HR speed, didn't catch a ton of passes, doesn't carry the size to consistantly run between the tackles, but is willing.

So my #8 RB and #101 overall prospect, and my last prospect that graded in round 3. So it wasn't a reach by much. After the 1st round, if you get a guy that is graded in that round, its not a reach IMO.

The Draft Network had him as their #2 overall RB and one of their guys comped him to Kareem Hunt with breakaway speed.

From April 15th in response to a mock draft by CBS sports:

"Henderson is a perfect fit in a outside zone scheme where he can get outside in space and use that speed and elusiveness to do damage. THe 3rd round is right on the money for him and I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the 2nd. The only issue I would have is, do the Rams need a RB in the 3rd round? I might be more inclined to grab a RB that slips into day 3 like Bryce Love or Bruce Anderson or Devine Ozigbo or Justice Hill."

[ramsrule.com]

Positives:
HR speed
Explosive is putting it mildly
Deceptively powerful for 200 lbs (current note, I had no idea when I made this note he was 208)
Lateral quickness is good
146 ypg on 16 touches...WTH
outstanding balance
tough to bring down due to balance/power/elusiveness combo

Negatives:
Hands are ok
Not much of a route runner
pass blocking like most RBs in college is lacking
Lacks size to be a bellcow back (current note, Im not so sure, he is 7 lbs from 215 and the power is there)

I think I undervalued him a bit and others overvalued him. Either way, this is bad news (or good news) for Gurley fans as he is going to see less action next year. I love the pick, I love the spot he was drafted and I love what LA has in a plan.

Again, after a month to think about the pick, I have a few more thoughts on him. If he can carry his elite physical traits at 210 to 215 lbs, he can be a bellcow RB, and at the least, be the 75% in a 75-25 workshare, if Gurley is not long for the NFL. If not, he makes a ton of sense as a 2nd back to Gurley in an outside zone scheme. A much better fit then a chubby Anderson did last year (even though he was wildly effective). The Rams said they were looking for explosive athletes in the draft and they found 1. Looking at how I graded him, I docked him for pass catching, and in retrospect, it was a bit unfair, since Pollard did such a great job catching the ball out of the backfield, that Henderson wasn't needed to be that heavily involved there. And lets be realistic, I don't watch 12 Memphis games every season. I have a life, so I pick and choose and what I see is what I see. Not an excuse, just the reality of pretending to be a scout. If Henderson can quickly pick up pass protection, he could see a ton of time this year.

David Long - from draft day:

David Long - 5'-11" 196 lb. CB

10. (91) David Long - CB - Michigan - 5'-11" 196 lbs. - Solid in a word. Solid speed, solid athletic profile, solid in his movement from the waist down. Nothing that wows you. An NFL weightroom is going to do him wonders.

So my #10 CB and my #91 player overall. Rams drafted him 79th overall so I was pretty good this my placement, or the Rams are just using my board and not comping me.

From Alyo's post on the CB combine:
David Long Michigan 5105 196 4.45 4.46 -- 15 6.45 39.5 10-0 9 5/8 30 7/8 Was not expecting those numbers. His tape is not that impressive. Maybe I missed something? Anyone see something I didn't?

My response: 4th round press man corner. He is fine as long as he gets his hands on you. I like him.

That was from 3/9/19

[ramsrule.com]

I eventually graded him as a late 3rd rounder so i wasn;t too far off.

anyhow.

Positives:
Good speed
excellent mirror when up in press
smooth lower body
excellent footwork
oily frame

Negatives:
needs to get stronger
short arms
lack of ball production (1 int in 2019)

Overall I prefer a guy like Layne or i. Johnson or Mike Jackson, but he is a press man CB that will get a year in a NFL weightroom and gets to learn behind 2 of the best. This is a good pick for a team in need of a CB that is willing to compete and fits press man.

1 month later, more thoughts: Some guys that went after Long that I liked for the Rams were Layne, Oruwariye, I Johnson, M.Jackson and Love. It was too early for Jackson, so he was out. I think Layne and Johnson were too raw after being WR converts, so they were out. Love's speed made him better in off man or zone coverage, so he was out. That left a personal favorite of mine, Oruwariye from Penn State. We know the Rams love the Senior Bowl and he had a bad one, so I guess that eliminated him. That made Long the obvious favorite if you were taking a CB. So if you are looking for a 3rd round CB that is at his absolute best up on the LoS, jamming a WR in press man, he is your guy. he is the replacement for Talib. I don't think he is too small for a outside CB, and he plays bigger then he measures, and he tested extremely well at the combine. This is a good pick for a team in desperate need of CB depth in a year. Which will allow him to add NFL strength.

Bobby Evans - from Draft day:

Bobby Evans - 6'-4" 312 lbs.

12. (131) Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma - 6'-4" 312 lbs. -A smooth moving, athletic OT with decent power and a good anchor. Run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking. ZBS fit.

So my #12 OT and my number 131 overall prospect.

He was the 12th OT taken (nailed it lol) but I had him in round 4. Although he was #81 on my Rams vertical big board.

From Oldschools "who is your sleeper pick?" post [ramsrule.com]

"Honorable mention - Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma - He fits the Rams zone blocking scheme perfectly and can be had on day 3, needs some tech. work and a weight room, but give him a year and you should really have something."

From my mock 3.0:

Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma - 6'-4" 312 lbs. -A smooth moving, athletic OT with decent power and a good anchor. Run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking. ZBS fit. - if there was a latter round OT that fit the Rams to a T, its Evans.

From my all underrated team on 3/31 [ramsrule.com]

"OT - Bobby Evans - Oklahoma - A great fit inn a zone blocking scheme, long, athletic and strong. Will need to be developed as far as technique, but where he is being projected, he could be a steal 2 years from now."

So obviously Bobby Evans has been on my mind for a bit as a Rams fan.

Positives:
Good length for a LT
Smooth mover
good power
really mobile, 2nd level like mobility
competes hard
Athletic frame
high potential in a OZS

Negatives:
not a mauler, needs more weight room
footwork and hand placement need work
needs a year in a pro system

I love this pick obviously as i have been all over him. They never had him in or met with him so it came out of right field. All these picks are depth picks with starter upside down the road.

1 month to think: I am more convinced then ever that Evans is your future LT. He is everything you want from a NFL LT. Size, enough length, mobility, an anchor and a mean streak. He played in a stupid offense (and before any Oklahoma fans get all bent, its stupid in the fact that it doesn't prepare you for anything in the NFL. Texas Tech, Auburn and any team that runs a "raid" system also fit, doesn't mean it isn;t highly effective or highly entertaining, they are, and they produce tons of NFL talent) getting back to that system he was in, he is going to have to learn how to block properly in the NFL. And if Kromer is everything the Rams think he is, it will be no problem. I tried so hard to fit Evans in my mock drafts simply because he is such a great fit in the middle of the draft (where the Rams like to draft OL). I would have taken him in front of Sharpring, Pipkins, Howard and Edoga. His power and aggressiveness puts his floor as a plus starter at RG and a ceiling that projects to me as plus starter at LT.

Greg Gaines - from draft day:

Greg Gaines - NT - 6'-1" 312 lbs.

Positives:
strong as an ox
Natural low center of gravity
Great motor
doesn't get pushed backwards - like ever
showed some pass rush at SB

Negatives:
lacks ideal length
built like a fire hydrant, moves like a fire hydrant
sluggish athletically

a 2 down NT that will just stack up blockers and allow others to make plays and will come out in passing situations

After a month to think about Gaines, I have a theory, that pairs with Rapp. I have a couple of theories really. The 1st is that when Wade said the Rams play run defense on their way to the QB, he was lying to protect either a lazy Suh or an overly aggressive AD or an underperforming Brockers, or any combination of the 3. The other is that the Rams are transitioning to running more of a big nickel defense like what the patriots ran 80% of the time last year. This defense requires a big body run plugger to keep your smaller LBers and S/LB hybrids clean to make plays. Enter Gaines, the first NT the Rams have drafted or signed since Phillips has been here. He is a tough as nails and can hold the line, but is simply not a 1 gap penetrator that Wade's defense has long valued. Drafting Gaines and Rapp tells me we are going to see a ton of Big nickel with a lineup that looks like this: Brockers, Gaines and AD, Fowler, Littleton and the Claymaker, with Peters, Talib and JJ3, Weddle and Rapp. Sub out 1 of Littleton or Matthews for NR-C when you need a slot CB. I still am not a huge fan of Gaines, as i thought he spent too much time on the ground for my taste, but as a NT, he should do exactly what Wade wants him to do. Fans are going to love his high motor, high effort, and his pure strength. i am afraid his lack of length, and squatty build will limit him and his ceiling is not very high. Basically, what you see is what you get.

David Edwards - from draft day:

David Edwards - OT -Wisconsin - 6'-6" 308 lbs. - Another strong, mobile OT from Wisconsin. RT or possibly RG, he is well coached but lags a bit behind because he is still transitioning from TE.

So he is my #5 OT and my #51 player overall, so I obviously over-valued him or the Rams got a steal. Either way, he is a former TE that moved to OT so plenty of upside and is highly athletic for the position, and he comes from Wisc., so while behind the curve, was coached well.

Positives:
a great athlete for the position
excellent mover in space
can and will maul you
strong hands with nice pop
light feet
strong

Negatives:
raw skill set
can get caught off balance
too upright at times

I think he is a perfect fit in a OZS and will need a year and maybe a move to OG is in the cards for him, but I love his upside.

After some time to think about him, and go find some footage of him, I realized most of my notes were from 2017-18 season, and not so much from 2018-19. Thats why I had him graded higher then most (or anyone). The reason being, he was hurt most of last season. I also totally missed his sub 34" arm length. He needs a few things to reach his potential: Get healthy, get in a NFL weight room and get more teaching from a OL coach. But he has the stuff you can't teach and can't build in the weightroom, and that is size and athleticism. His arm length will limit him to OG in the NFL and thats ok. I think 2 years with Kromer could have Edwards pushing for a starting OG spot if he can do enough to stay on the roster until then. He is smart, light on his feet and and has great size for a OZS IL, he just needs time to develop it along with adding some NFL strength. But as we all know in the NFL, you don't get alot of time. I still love the pick, and anyone looking to replace Blythe should pay close attn to him this summer into next year.

Nick Scott - from draft day:

Nick Scott - S - 5'-11" 201 lbs.

I don't get this pick at all. I know its the 7th round near the end, but he is a RB turned safety for 2 years with only 1 year of starting experience. Raw as sushi. But interesting upside. I have little in the way of notes. Sorry guys, I hope Alyo helped you out.

Positives:
fast
aggressive
nice burst
he's a thumper

Negatives:
Raw
takes bad angles
double moves work against him
not ideal size

His aggressive demeanor and raw skill set has worked against him with his reading plays and double moves. He's going to need patience IMO and I see a practice squad player unless he really shows out on special teams (and he very easily could)

So after a month and finally seeing some more film on him (that was tough to find) I can see what the Rams were looking at and it all starts on STs. I never watch special teams plays on my recorded games (which is 90% of the games I watch so I can rewind, skip and fast forward) so i missed his niche. I was too focused on his S work and after reading hw Bones pounded the table for him, I see no scenario where he isn't a contributer from day 1 on special teams. He is going to have to. There is too much depth in front of him at S. JJ3, Weddle and Rapp for sure. But if my theory of more big nickel come to fruition, then the Rams will need plenty of depth at that position.

As far as the player himself. He is still his own worst enemy as far as being over aggressive and biting on moves in the pass game. But, after a deeper dive, I noticed he is a rare animal in regards to his approach to tackling. He is a thumper. And most thumpers sell out to obliterate you, meaning they take poor angles, they don't wrap up and they drop their head to just drop the hammer. Scott is different in that he takes good angles, breaks down and uses his fundamentals to make sure he makes a solid tackle over selling out to drop the hammer. he also wraps up all the time. So he is basically a hammer dropper that also can switch to textbook tackler depending on what is needed. its a rare trait. And i am not going to lie, he was a lot of fun to watch and is really growing on me. If he can get his head right in coverage, he will fit in nicely as a 3rd S in a couple of years. Which doesn't sound like much, but if the Rams play big nickel a bunch that means 3 safeties on the field 60-80% of the time. Thats a starter on ST and Defense from the 7th round. That is a year or 2 away as it stands as Rapp, JJ3 and Weddle hold those spots for now.

Dakota Allen - from draft day:

Dakota Allen - LB - 6'-1" 232 lbs.

I liked the pick, though I thought he would run faster at the combine then a 4.77.His jumps were also horrid. But then he goes and posts a sub 6.9 3 cone, so I have no idea what to make of his tests.

222. Dakota Allen - LB - Texas Tech - 6'-1" 232 lbs. - Sideline to sideline playmaker with some steam when he gets there. Less tactician and more bull in a china shop. Upside player with ST written all over him.

Positives:
heat seeking missile
goes hard sideline to sideline
He has an attack plan - attack
ok against the pass, a few ints in his career

Negatives:
needs to read first, react second
trouble shedding blocks
lacks MLB instincts

I think he fits the Rams well because they will tell him to fill x gap and he will with gusto. A special teamer with a little coaching could be a nice ILBer.

After a month to think about this pick, the more I think he is practice squad bound. He is stuck behind Littleton and Kiser at ILB and possibly Matthews right now and I think with Rapp being drafted, he will be a defacto ILB on passing downs as well. He is a good story, but he lacks the instincts and fundamentals right now to challenge anyone for any kind of depth. What he does have is a big motor and the ability and willingness to play sideline to sideline and thump when he gets there. He has an outside shot at making the roster as a ST, but I would bet on Scott over Allen if I were a betting man. Now that is not to say littleton is replaced next year in FA by Allen if he can show enough this camp to stay on the team in some capacity. That said, I love the pick on upside alone.

Overall, I thought the Rams had a decent draft, but like their other recent drafts, this draft will get an incomplete grade as most of these guys get a redshirt year. Rapp is your 3rd S, or big nickel safety. Henderson better be Gurley's backup, or Gurley is probably done, Edwards and Evans should add to the OL depth, Long is CB depth behind Talib and Peters, Scott is S depth and STs starter only, Allen is a practice squad guy and Gaines is probably your starter (on 1st and 2nd downs only) at NT next to Brockers and AD.

I do like Blanton as far as a TE from the undrafted free agents, beyond that, they are underwhelming.

As far as next season. It looks like a super charged WR class with speed, size and production. QBs look good, but like every year, it depends if they continue to perform and who comes out. OT is also looking fairly good. RB is strong, Edge has some really good prospects again. CB looks real good.

As far as what the Rams need;

Fowler is on a one year deal, Obo is unproven, Ebukam is what he is. And the Claymaker is on a 2 year deal and old. So I would look hard at edge. I would look at a IDL to replace Brockers, i would look for a TE, its too good of a WR draft not to grab one, a OC is Allen flames out and CB depth depending on what happens with Peters and Talib.

So in order;
Edge
TE
CB
DT
OC
WR

Have a great summer everyone. Questions welcome.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My 2019 Rams draft recap - long

Deadpool872May 25, 2019 12:11PM

Re: My 2019 Rams draft recap - long

Rams43274May 25, 2019 01:27PM

David Deacon233May 25, 2019 01:48PM

Right on, Dead....

SunTzu_vs_Camus199May 26, 2019 03:30AM

Re: My 2019 Rams --love your take (and O line)

Steve194May 26, 2019 04:02AM

Thanks for the interesting write up.

NewMexicoRam205May 26, 2019 04:51AM

Outstanding...As to Gaines

den-the-coach266May 26, 2019 04:58AM

Re: Outstanding...As to Gaines

zn235May 26, 2019 05:14AM

great work, Dead

21Dog224May 26, 2019 05:04AM

zn228May 26, 2019 05:26AM

Quarter of an Inch Big Deal

David Deacon252May 26, 2019 09:13AM

at some point 3/4" starts adding up

Deadpool254May 27, 2019 09:24AM

Re: at some point 3/4" starts adding up

zn173May 27, 2019 10:30AM

as far as Edwards being a LT

Deadpool215May 27, 2019 09:40AM

yeah, I see Edwards as OG material...maybe RT in a pinch..

SunTzu_vs_Camus168May 27, 2019 11:12AM

Re: yeah, I see Edwards as OG material...maybe RT in a pinch..

zn158May 27, 2019 01:04PM

yeah, it's funny....

SunTzu_vs_Camus160May 27, 2019 01:19PM

Re: yeah, it's funny....

zn180May 27, 2019 01:47PM

no, I agree..yer right..it's 4 starters!! imo

SunTzu_vs_Camus203May 27, 2019 03:04PM

Thank you and a couple of questions

RamsFanSince69303May 26, 2019 07:26AM

Re: Thank you and a couple of questions

Deadpool225May 26, 2019 06:21PM

Awesome - thx Pool !! nm