Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, will the ‘19 Rams be better than the ‘18 version?

May 09, 2019 09:05AM
I think so and here’s why.

First, the O...

Sean McVay has had plenty of time to digest the Bear, Eagle, Saints, and Patriot losses. Including the “tells” alluded to by the Patriots. McVay is a fast learner and it’s a safe bet to think that he will now have adjusted and developed counter moves. McVay should be improved. Big Time, actually.

Goff has improved every single year over his previous year since high school. Why should his 3rd year under McVay be any different. Improved.

Todd Gurley? Honestly, I doubt that he will ever be the same. At best, he might be close if given only limited managed snaps. Sorry, hope I’m wrong. Downgrade here.

Darrell Henderson. Huge upgrade. A RB weapon that McVay has been seeking for 3 years. And some tremendous injury insurance, as well.

Brian Allen. A physical upgrade over Sully, but doesn’t have the experience that Sully had. Reportedly football smart, played well in limited snaps, and Kromer likes him. Should get better and better as the season unfolds. Slight upgrade, I think.

Joseph Noteboom. Our future LOT, I think, and should do just fine this year at LG. But Saffold is a hard man to replace, so I have to call this a slight downgrade.

Austin Blythe. At worst, he should be slightly improved if only from more strength training and experience, don’t you think? And there is a possibility that one of Evans or Edwards might blow up and seize that RG spot in camp. In any case, the RG position should be at least slightly improved.

Cooks, Woods, Kupp should be the same if not slightly improved due to experience in this O and familiarity with Goff. I’m calling WR equal, but I think I’m being conservative.

Everett and Higbee. Everett should be improved again this year. He took some big steps forward last year and that trend should continue. Higbee improved a bit last year, himself, although to a lesser degree. TE position should be improved.

So overall, I see an improved O over last year’s very impressive unit. Kinda scary for opponents on our schedule. Lol.

Now, the D...

AD will have another dominating season. I predict fewer sacks, but better run D from him, much like late last year. Equal overall.

Michael Brockers. I suspect that Brockers played hurt last year in a disappointing year (for him). This year is a contract year for him and I expect a biggie. Should be a significant improvement.

Greg Gaines. A double prediction here. Gaines will not only start, but his play will slightly exceed that of the “regular season Suh”. I’m serious. By the last third of the season Gaines will be playing like a quality seasoned vet. I’m calling this equal, but I think I’m being conservative yet again.

Dante Fowler. All he did last season was get better and better in every game as he got acclimated. I see no reason to think that that won’t continue. I predict that Fowler will be improved this year even over late last season, not to mention that he will have a full season to contribute. Big upgrade over last season here.

Samson Ebukam. Not at all sure that he will start, tbh. But the good news is that there will be other possible starters rotating there at Edge opposite Fowler. Matthews (part time), Obo, Fox, ??? Maybe some outside the box schemes that might include Littleton, Rapp, or ??? I get the impression that Wade feels kinda comfortable with his options on that edge. I mean, the Rams didn’t exactly devote tons of draft resources to Edge, did they? Bottom line, I see significant improvement at Edge over last year’s Ebu version.

Cory Littleton. Same. Maybe a tad better if only due to more experience.

Micah Kiser. Honestly, I see him as a 2 down run defender inside. And a better run defender than Barron ever was. It's pretty obvious that Wade likes Kiser and that the Rams did NOT spend draft capital on ILB. Slight upgrade.

Clay Matthews. Mr Versatility, don’t you think? He’s gonna have limited snaps, but he should be able to help both inside and outside, depending on what Wade needs and which players step up either inside or outside. Another big reason that Wade and the Rams didn’t choose to devote draft resources to either position. Big upgrade here.

Aquib Talib. Should be the same if he remains healthy. That means upper echelon CB play on one side. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams coaxed Talib to sign a short extension after this season, tbh. I’m calling this one as same as last year.

Marcus Peters. Peters struggled early on last year but came on very strong in the second half of the season plus the playoffs once Wade adjusted his schemes. I see no reason to assume that MP won’t pick up where he left off last year. That means at least a slight upgrade over last year.

David Long. Won’t be a starter, barring injury, but I mention him for two reasons. At worst, CB gets a HUGE depth upgrade. And if, heaven forbid, there is an extended injury to either Talib or Peters (like last year), then we are in very good hands with the underrated Long. I see Long getting snaps in certain Wade packages and in blowouts this season and I see him as a quality starter in ‘20. Huge upgrade.

John Johnson. Ascending S on the verge of Pro Bowl status. No change from last year.

Eric Weddle. Huge upgrade over Joyner in ‘18. Case closed.

Taylor Rapp. Similar to the David Long situation. Not gonna start, barring injury, but he will see the field in certain Wade designed packages and in blowout situations. Tremendous depth and injury insurance improvement. Weddle’s eventual replacement and one of the bigger draft steals at 61. Huge upgrade over last year.

Overall, I see a substantial improvement over the ‘18 D almost everywhere I look. The D got the lion’s share of help in this draft and I think it will pay dividends this season.

Final conclusion? Yes, this ‘19 Rams team, on paper, is clearly substantially improved over the ‘18 version.

Hot Damn!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, will the ‘19 Rams be better than the ‘18 version?

Rams43315May 09, 2019 09:05AM

I never know how to answer something like that.

NewMexicoRam132May 09, 2019 09:16AM

Re: I never know how to answer something like that.

SoCalRAMatic130May 09, 2019 10:45AM

don't forget special teams

LMU93121May 10, 2019 06:08AM

Re: don't forget special teams

Rams4358May 10, 2019 06:19AM

Re: don't forget special teams

LMU9366May 10, 2019 06:37AM

So, Weddle/Rapp will be SSs...right?

SunTzu_vs_Camus64May 10, 2019 12:24PM