Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: OL / DL --- D/L / OL with first 2 picks just makes too much sense

April 25, 2019 02:06PM
Interesting. Great points about the cap effects of Whit and Brockers. When thinknig about the draft let's consider the facts: McVay stated he wants explosive players; McVay has invested his primary draft capital each in a WR, and Weapon TE; McVay traded a 2nd for WR; McVay traded a 2nd plus for a CB.

I am of the opinion the Rams consider the line players--other than LT and Donald--as commodites. Suh is an aberation--tremendous ability for 10 mil was to good to be true. Lineman will be drafted and I would expect at least one OT, OG/C, and DE/NT each to be taken this year. However, I would expect this starting in the 3rd round. I would add inside lbs to this as well. Also, I believe Clay was signed to play inside mostly and less EDGE. So I see him as the Barron replacement in the starting lineup.

That first pick, whether a 1st or 2nd if they trade down, will likely be used on an explosive player. These explosive players, given our roster, makes me think CB or EDGE. Wade's defense is about CBs, Edge and the deep safety. With Peters, and Talib up next year I expect a CB to be very high priority. I know the board is in general anti LaMarcus Joyner but he was a very good player. He needs to be replaced long term. Weddle will do well next year but the secondary is in dire need of quality youth. Personally, I want Talib teaching as many young CBs as possible.

One other point--Saffold was a tremendous OG. He made 11 mil per. That is the 3rd highest for LGs, so say 6th highest for all guards. 11 mil per is 15th for CBs. The payoff for hitting on a CB in the draft is tremendous in terms of salary cap dollars saved. Whereas for an interior lineman you willfully chose to not even pay a star. So why draft one? A five year rental? Seems more appopriate to invest lesser draft capital in a solid,though limited cieling player for positions you are not willing to pay long term.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

OL / DL --- D/L / OL with first 2 picks just makes too much sense

PSJRam233April 25, 2019 01:32PM

oldschoolramfan130April 25, 2019 01:39PM

cool_hand_luke124April 25, 2019 02:06PM

agreed...BPA from those 2 positions....

SunTzu_vs_Camus130April 25, 2019 02:54PM