Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: My feeling too....

April 16, 2019 10:53PM
Deadpool
First I think the Rams are preparing for drafting in the 2nd round. Why?

1. Because they have been meeting with a ton of 2nd round prospects, esp. having them in for private meetings. Once you start meeting guys at the combine, at pro days and having them in for privates, its serious because there are only so many meetings you can get in during those 3 phases. You don't waste them.

2. I really think they don't want to draft an OL in the 1st round. It really seems to go against their philosophy. I also think they are prepared to see all the top EDGE rushers gone. (Bosa, Allen, Sweat, Burns and Ferrell). That leaves CB and IDL. I have (and I'm not alone) Tillery, Lawrence and an injured Simmons as 2nd round players. Or very close to it. And if you are happy with all 3, trade down and take the one thats left. THat leaves CB, they have not talked to one 1st round graded CB. So either they are playing it close to the vest or they are off 1st round CBs.

3. So what is left? A QB, RB, TE or WR? Nope. OT? I doubt it. ILB? goodness no, unless Bush Jr. drops down.

Here are all the prospects the Rams have met with from the combine, pro days or private visits that I think are 2nd rounders.
1. Chase Winovich - Edge - pro day
2. Kaleb McGary - OT - Private
3. Elgton Jenkins - IOL - Private
4. Eric McCoy - IOL - Private
5. Jerry Tillery - IDL - Combine
6. Jonathan Abram - S - Private
7. Taylor Rapp - S - Private
8. Darnell Savage - S - Private
9. Juan Thornhill - S - Private
10. Dexter Lawrence - IDL - Private

So thats a good amount of 2nd round talent, I think they would love to trade down and are prepping for a move so they can acquire more picks. Just a feeling.

Rest of my thoughts: (no real order)

1. I think if you want a WR or a RB, wait until day 3. I think a ton of talent will slide into the 4th and 5th rounds. I think RBs could be had all the way to UDFA.

2. Get ready for a defense heavy 1st round. I think 3-4 QBs, 2 WRs, 2 TEs, 3 OTs, and 2 IOL are taken in the 1st. Thats 12 or 13 tops. Making it 19 to 20 defenders going in the top 32. Thats alot IMO.

3. I think the Rams are targeting a S or IDL early. I don't know why, its just a feeling I am starting to get. I just cannot shake Adderley, Thornhill, Abram and Rapp at S and Tillery, Simmons and Lawrence at IDL.

4. If I were a GM in need of a starting QB to save my job, I would punt, update my resume and hope I survive the season to draft 1 next year. I know everyone says wait until next years QB class and its never that good, but this one is just brutal.

5. I think the Rams like Polite in the 3rd. Its the end of the round, so not much damage done and if he gets his head on straight, its another in a nice line of middle round home runs.

6. If the Rams draft a TE, its going to be on day 3. Just too many needs to mess with a TE before that. 1 guy I would pay attn to is Trevon Wesco from WVU. Rams talked to him at SB, so he fits the bill profile wise and he is versatile enough to add some value as a blocker from anywhere in the formation and doing a bit of damage underneath in the passing game.

7. I think the Rams definitely come away with a IDL, IOL, Edge, CB or S. Thats 5 of their current 7 draft picks. After those 5 its anyone's guess. IDL, IOL or Edge double up and OT would be my other guesses.

8. 1 spot I haven't mentioned is ILB. I think if the Rams draft an ILB, its going to be an OLB that they move inside.

9. After looking at who the Rams have interviewed or met with as far as CBs, I am lost on what they are looking for. But they have met Derrick Baity twice, and he is a big, press man CB and will be around on day 3.

10 I think anyone hoping for Dexter Lawrence in the 1st round is going to be disappointed. If they do go IDL in round 1 its Tillery IMO. I said that last week and I haven't changed my mind. Why? I think the Rams like Saunders in the 3rd and if they pass on IDL it will be because Saunders is the target later on.

11. i also think anyone hoping for Bradbury at IOL will be disappointed, simply because he will be gone.

12. The one wildcard in the 1st round is Greedy Williams. Its so weird a guy with as many questions as he has with as much talent as he has, has not had a single visit. The only thing I can think of is that teams that are interested are playing it close to the vest. He makes a ton of sense for the Rams. I just wouldn't bet too much money on him being the pick.

Anyhow, just some things to think about for a day or 2.

I definitely think they will trade down. All the signs are there.

I'm gathering a few additional things.

1) A safety will be taken early, possibly the first pick. Look at the list of meetings. It keeps getting longer too with more private visits being added.

S Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State (PRI) - Tom Pelissero (NFL Network)
S Nasir Adderley, Delaware (SR) - DTR
S Justin Clifton, Arkansas State (PRO) - DTR
S Will Harris, Boston College (SR) - DTR
S Taylor Rapp, Washington (PRI) - Walter Football
S Sheldrick Redwine, Miami (PRI) - Self Instagram Account
S Darnell Savage, Maryland (PRI) - Jeff Zrebiec (The Athletic)
S Deionte Thompson, Alabama (PRI) - Walter Football
S Juan Thornhill, Virginia (PRI) - Andrew Dicecco (Eagles Wire)
S Evan Worthington, Colorado (PRO) - DTR

Every one of those safeties is a late 1st to 2nd rounder with the exception of Clifton, Harris, Redwine, Worthington.

2) They're also gonna draft a RB somewhere. They're still bringing those guys in for visits and they are projected to go anywhere between 3rd and UDFA.

3) I'm wondering if they do something like this:

trade down to 42-45, pick up a early 3rd and take a safety with the 2nd round pick and a IDL like Khalen Saunders with the early 3rd.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Draft thoughts 1 week from the draft, and Rams are prepping for a trade down

Deadpool803April 16, 2019 06:33PM

I'd bet the farm on a trade down.....

Rampage2K-269April 16, 2019 07:29PM

Re: Just depends who drops...

spagsbacker205April 17, 2019 02:59AM

Re: Draft thoughts 1 week from the draft, and Rams are prepping for a trade down

OzRam225April 16, 2019 10:21PM

Re: My feeling too....

dzrams221April 16, 2019 10:53PM

I love trade downs, but am thinking it may not happen in round 1

RamBum191April 17, 2019 02:24AM

Very Well Reasoned - Great Analysis

David Deacon192April 17, 2019 02:27AM

Re: greedy falls

spagsbacker191April 17, 2019 02:57AM

Re: Draft thoughts 1 week from the draft, and Rams are prepping for a trade down

Classicalwit174April 17, 2019 03:06AM

IF Polite is lazy & dumb...then forget him....

SunTzu_vs_Camus113April 26, 2019 08:03AM

Re: Another great insight, sir

leafnose171April 17, 2019 05:34AM

Rams43181April 17, 2019 05:43AM

oldschoolramfan179April 17, 2019 06:23AM

If there's one thing

OzRam209April 17, 2019 06:35AM

Rams43276April 17, 2019 07:06AM

Rams preparing for 2nd round

snowman270April 17, 2019 07:56AM

very possible

Deadpool300April 17, 2019 10:19AM

Re: very possible

oldschoolramfan192April 17, 2019 11:33AM

Re: Trading down

leafnose153April 19, 2019 04:31AM

Re: Trading down

oldschoolramfan122April 19, 2019 05:54AM

Re: very possible...ok Deadpool...who we looking at at 45?

Rampage2K-130April 25, 2019 07:03PM

Re: well 2nd rd prospects can drop to 3rd...

spagsbacker225April 17, 2019 12:52PM

Re: You have to be sneaky end of round 1

merlin162April 17, 2019 09:19PM