Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Punishing Run Game...

December 23, 2018 04:49PM
This is exactly what was needed today. CJ is not an east/west runner, even though he's capable of a jump step, being a punishing north/south runner is what made a huge difference in addition to a commitment to the running game. I certainly realize the team the Rams played was not a top team, but they were able to set a tone and get back to allowing the passing game to stem from the running game. CJ is no TG, but it's obvious the run game planning and blocking scheme can work for someone other than TG if need be.
Where things were far different was in the passing game. The RBs were not involved much and when they were, it was not for positive yards and was out of synch.
Today's game plan formula would have worked, in my opinion, the previous 2 weeks and instead, Coach M tried to be to cute and it cost the team dearly.
I suggest sticking to the same formula next week. I don't expect CJ to gain the same yardage, but if he and Kelly can combine for 100+, it's enough to make the passing game far more effective.
Unless TG is 100% healthy, I'd look to duplicate today's game offensively next week and hope the Rams D can stop a slightly better offense. Open up the consistent deep passing game only if needed to win a game when trailing.
Same thing in the playoffs... eat the clock up with running and high percentage passes and then the deep throw on occasion. Sitting Goff in the pocket for long periods, over and over, trying to hit on 20+ yard passes, only works against teams that cannot get pressure or will not get pressure due to fear of the run. So, run the damn ball and take the passes the D gives the Rams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Punishing Run Game...

PSJRam431December 23, 2018 04:49PM

I think Gurley has been injured for weeks

no name226December 23, 2018 04:59PM

Re: I think Gurley has been injured for weeks

PSJRam222December 23, 2018 05:08PM

Ekern55221December 23, 2018 05:13PM

PSJRam241December 23, 2018 05:26PM