Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PS. On the run defense

December 03, 2018 11:18AM
I really liked what I saw in the run defense. I liked the focus.

Look at AD and, to a lesser extent, Suh. They were using their penetration skills to throttle the run. They had numbers of plays in effect sacking RBs.

There is no way that we have been so bad stopping the run because our DL is getting whipped. They are far, far too good for that.

Now, when a DL gets penetration, that is SUPPOSED to be bad for the running game. But the NFL is so sophisticated that penetration is not enough. DL has to play the run laterally. Penetration without that leaves big gaps.

Despite their words, AD and Suh have been guilty this year of rushing the passer before they have, in their words, earned the right. Yesterday, they earned that right.

Of course, it was DET. The lack of a true passing threat may well have been the reason Donald and Suh shifted their focus to the run. Still, they were facing an NFL rushing attack fueled by film study of the plays that have gashed them all too often this year. And we saw Donald taking delight in run-sacking Lion RBs.

I hope he carries that forward. I simply cannot believe that we don't have the makings of a fine run D, even if our LBs are ordinary. Donald and Suh have GOT to get a taste for shutting down the run first. If they do that, I believe our defense will improve significantly.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Workmanlike

RFL446December 03, 2018 10:54AM

Well said, RFL...

JamesJM152December 03, 2018 11:03AM

PS. On the run defense

RFL218December 03, 2018 11:18AM

Re: Workmanlike....Dilly Dilly!!!

Rampage2K-173December 03, 2018 11:25AM

Workmanlike vs. Style Points...

LoboRam152December 03, 2018 01:08PM

A New Mexico agreement with you!