Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Predicting future coaching changes, (Wade Phillips related)

November 21, 2018 08:54AM
Rams43

John Pagano is the current linebackers coach in Houston and is enjoying some relative success despite the constant injuries. This is his first season with the Texans after spending five years as the Chargers defensive coordinator and one season in Oakland as the assistant head coach/interim defensive coordinator. While Pagano's defenses have never been known for stifling yards, they have been known for creating turnovers and getting after the quarterback. In 2012, the Chargers scored seven touchdowns and notched 38 total sacks, showing major improvement over the previous seasons. This defense also sacked Greg McElroy 11 times during a week 16 victory.

I would be somewhat shocked if Wade did walk away because I believe he would finish out his contract, he would have one more year left, but Pagano would be an interesting hire as I hope Sean McVay would look outside the organization. Would be difficult for McVay as he's very close to Assistant Head Coach/LB Joe Barry, who has been a DC before in Washington & Detroit, with not very good results. My hope is that McVay would be able to put that relationship aside and hire the best man for the the job.

Vance Joseph of the Broncos, if he's fired, would be the best choice IMHO and his background in the Secondary would be a plus as well. The big issue would be again, McVay and Barry, hopefully Barry is happy in his current role and would not pressure McVay to promote him as he's been a failed DC twice....Mike Pettine of the Packers could be in play, but I'm betting on the new Head Coach in Green Bay keeping him.

Again many will want Joseph and he spent quite a bit of time in San Francisco so they could make a change at DC, but Joseph learned under Wade, so if Wade stays for one more year, maybe the Rams bring Joseph on as his replacement in wiating and if Wade walks away, maybe they allow Wade to hand pick his successor and IMO, he picks Vance.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Predicting future coaching changes, (Wade Phillips related)

Rams43453November 21, 2018 08:39AM

den-the-coach213November 21, 2018 08:54AM

AlbaNY_Ram184November 21, 2018 09:06AM

Good information- thanks man

Rams Junkie206November 21, 2018 10:53AM

I would promote Aubrey Pleasant as DC

LMU93195November 21, 2018 09:24AM

Re: I would promote Aubrey Pleasant as DC

den-the-coach150November 21, 2018 10:40AM