Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles RAMS "The Last 12 Months"

Anonymous User
July 22, 2018 08:08AM

With the first day of the Los Angeles Rams "2018 Training Camp" only days away, I thought I would release a "timeline presentation" of some memorable current events that happened to our team over the last 15 months.

As pumped up as I am myself with training camp and the upcoming 2018 season about to start, I'm just as excited for all of you relentless and faithful Rams fans that have waited a long time for this franchise to finally build a championship caliber roster.

Les Snead and Sean McVay along with their assistants have assembled the most talented Rams roster on paper that we have seen in several years. It's only on paper but this 2018 group of players gives most of us realistic hope for a deep playoff run and a Super Bowl opportunity.

We all know nothing is ever won on paper in the NFL and there are legit concerns about some of the position groups along with how good the quality of depth is, or how well or poor the role players will perform when their numbers are called. We also know how the impact of future injuries can quickly dismantle any NFL team.

Team depth and chemistry can be questioned for the top rated 5 or 7 NFL rosters at the beginning of every new season. I believe most of us agree this current Rams 2018 roster is at least worthy of top 7 consideration and this is truly a blessing for us fans.

Regardless of any weaknesses at position groups or the unsure quality of depth at key positions, this Rams roster is ultra talented and considered a legitimate heavyweight Super Bowl contender by many experts inside NFL media circles.

The current Rams roster could very well be overrated or they might actually be as good as the hype they've gotten since the NFL free agency period and draft ended.

No matter how different each of our own perceptions of this current Rams team and roster may be, we are all about to go on an exciting Rams journey very soon as the 2018 training camp begins this coming week when the rookies report to U.C. Irvine, CA on July 23rd followed by the Veterans on July 25th.

"Revisiting The Last 12 Months"

The Los Angeles

July 25, 2017
Revamped Rams "Reset and Ready" to open New Training Camp

By the end of summer workouts, new Rams coach Sean McVay had hurt his leg, put on some weight and could point to a dime-sized patch of white hair on his temple. “Sometimes I tell the players that they caused this,” McVay said with a smile. McVay, 31, who became the youngest coach in NFL in January, faces quite a task when training camp opens this week at UC Irvine.

The Rams are six months removed from a dismal 4-12 season, and they haven’t made the playoffs since 2004, the year McVay graduated from high school. Where is the reason for hope? The Rams made mild roster upgrades but remain longshots to make the playoffs or reach .500. If nothing else, though, McVay has provided a clean slate and unparalleled energy.

The contrast, throughout the summer, seemed stark. Gone is former coach Jeff Fisher, whose “cool dad” persona was popular with players but didn’t inspire enough accountability, and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, a talented coach but one who primarily communicated by screaming expletives.

McVay is relentlessly positive. He speaks at a dizzying pace and commands every room he enters. Then there’s new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, the antidote to Williams, a slow-talking Texan who has won over his defensive players with his wry humor, his stellar resume and his willingness to patiently explain concepts.

It’s a fresh start. Even the Rams’ primary uniforms have changed, back to the blue-and-white scheme they last wore before McVay’s birth.

“It’s way different,” Goff said. “It’s a way different offense. Personally, from my brief experience with it, I’ve had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or whatnot, but I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

The Rams think they’ve found something special in McVay. Now, McVay gets a chance to prove them correct. “When he left (his interview),” Demoff said, “I remember Les standing up and he said, ‘That’s going to be a successful head coach. I’m buying stock in Sean McVay.’ And really, from there, we knew we had our guy.”
[www.dailynews.com]

[www.sbnation.com]

September 10, 2017
Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams open Sean McVay tenure with "46-9 Victory" over Colts

LOS ANGELES (AP) —
After just one game in new coach Sean McVay’s system, the change in Jared Goff was striking.

No longer an uncertain rookie hiding behind a lousy offensive line, Goff flung the ball confidently around the field for the Los Angeles Rams. He shook off his mistakes and made smart adjustments on the way to the biggest passing day of his young career — and his first victory as a starter.

McVay got a big-time game out of last season’s No. 1 pick during the Rams’ 46-9 rout of the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, but Goff was just one of several impressive performers in a season-opening stunner.

“Starting off the season with a win, regardless of if it’s my first or Sean’s first, I think it’s exciting for everybody,” Goff said.

Goff went 21 of 29 for a career-high 306 yards and a touchdown for the 31-year-old McVay, the youngest head coach in modern league history. Their partnership is in its infancy, but the early results were awfully promising.

“I thought he took good care of the football, made good decisions, and he did seem to have good command of it,” McVay said of Goff, who went 0-7 as a starter last season. “I’m very proud of him. Thought he did a great job, and it was awesome for him to get his first win.”
[www.foxsports.com]

October 8, 2017
Seahawks preserve NFC West supremacy in 16-10 win over Rams

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Seattle Seahawks watched enough film to know Jared Goff and Todd Gurley have made remarkable strides under new Rams coach Sean McVay. Earl Thomas, Sheldon Richardson and the veteran Seahawks defense wouldn't let the upstart Rams step atop the NFC West just yet. Thomas forced two of the Rams' five turnovers, and Richardson picked up two more during the Seahawks' 16-10 victory over Los Angeles on Sunday.

Russell Wilson passed for 198 yards and hit Jimmy Graham for a touchdown late in the first half for the Seahawks (3-2), who shut out the NFL's highest-scoring offense in the second half and won despite getting outgained 375-241. The Rams (3-2) caught the league's attention with the highest-scoring offense in the season's opening quarter, but the Seahawks aren't ready to abdicate the division throne.

"He's going to be all right," Richardson said of Goff, who went 22 of 47 for 288 yards with three costly turnovers. "He's not the same guy from last year. But he's no Tom Brady yet." The Legion of Boom did blanketing work on Sammy Watkins and the Rams' receivers, but Seattle couldn't rest easily until Goff's last-minute drive ended with three straight incompletions near the end zone.

It came down to a few fingertips: Rams rookie Cooper Kupp barely missed a diving TD grab on third down with 8 seconds to play. "I expect to make that play," said Kupp, who had three catches for 44 yards. "I can't say anything about whether it was behind me or a one-hand catch. If I'm putting my hands on the ball, I've got to make that play."

RED ZONE WOES: While the Rams' offense has been undeniably transformed by McVay, it still can't score touchdowns consistently. One week after kicking seven field goals in Dallas, Los Angeles got just three points out of four trips to the red zone. Gurley was averaging nearly 27 touches per game this season, but the running back got just 14 carries and two receptions against the Seahawks. Los Angeles also targeted Watkins only four times, and the speedy receiver went without a catch for just the second time in his 42 NFL games.
[www.usatoday.com]

November 12, 2017
Winning streak continues as LA Rams crush Texans

Jared Goff threw three touchdown passes in the third quarter and the Los Angeles Rams defense had four takeaways in a 33-7 victory over the Houston Texans Sunday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams led 9-7 at halftime, then broke the game open with three touchdowns in four possessions.
Goff threw a 94-yard touchdown pass to Robert Woods, a 17-yard touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins two possessions later and a 12- yard touchdown pass to Woods on the next possession.

The first touchdown pass to Woods was the third-longest pass in franchise history. “The ball was on the money,” said Woods, whose 171 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions were the most of his five-season NFL career while his eight receptions were two off his career high. “Jared Goff put it right in the palm of my hands so I was just able to catch it and run.”

Goff completed 25 of 37 passes for 355 yards, the most of his 17-game NFL career, as the Rams improved to 7-2, their best start in the first nine games of the season since 2001. The winning streak is the Rams longest since a seven-game streak in 2003. This is the sixth time this season the Rams have scored 30 or more points, the most since in a season since 2003 when they scored 30 or more seven times in a 16-game schedule. The Rams outgained the Texans, 443-283 in yards before a crowd announced at 60,032.
[mynewsla.com]

November 19, 2017
Rams machine needs some repairs after 24-7 loss at Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams arrived in Minnesota with the NFL's highest-scoring offense, a machine averaging 33 points per game and making the team the talk of the league with this sharp turnaround under new coach Sean McVay.

Their four-game winning streak was tossed aside by a determined Vikings defense in a 24-7 defeat on Sunday in this matchup of NFC division leaders. After a 75-yard touchdown drive to start the game, the only tangible production by the Rams was extra punting practice for Johnny Hekker. The Rams totaled just 254 yards, with 54 yards coming from on a garbage-time possession at the end of the game against mostly Vikings backups.

"We can play a lot better than we performed," said Jared Goff, who had guided the Rams to a 144-41 scoring advantage during the streak with 1,025 passing yards and nine touchdowns with only one interception.

The Vikings started the second half by forcing four punts in a row by the Rams (7-3), who also led the league entering the week with a third-down conversion rate of 46.7 percent. They moved the chains just three times in 11 opportunities against the Vikings. "They had some good tight coverage. They had some disguises, some different things that disrupted our timing and our rhythm," said McVay, who declared his team "humbled" by the Vikings throughout the course of the afternoon at daunting U.S. Bank Stadium.
[www.usatoday.com]

November 26, 2017
Los Angeles Rams Hold Off New Orleans Saints in "Battle of N.F.C. Powers"

Jared Goff would have to lead a top offense for another decade or more before deserving any quarterback comparisons with Drew Brees, but in a clash of high-powered offenses, Goff’s Los Angeles Rams held off a late charge from Brees’s New Orleans Saints, and won 26-20, ending the Saints’ eight-game winning streak.

With the win, Los Angeles improved to 8-3, guaranteeing the team a record of .500 or above for the first time since 2006. The Rams have not had a winning record since 2003. “I think every win provides an opportunity to gain some confidence,” Coach Sean McVay said about the win at his postgame news conference. “It sounds monotonous but the biggest thing is we got to 8-3.”

It was just a week ago that the Rams were crushed by the Minnesota Vikings thanks to a no-show by the team’s offense, but their offense and defense both looked superb in an all-around effort against New Orleans in which they piled up 415 total yards and limited the Saints to 346, with most of that coming during an exciting but eventually fruitless comeback attempt by New Orleans late in the fourth quarter.
[www.usatoday.com]

December 10, 2017
Eagles Lose Wentz to Injury, Beat Rams 43-35 "Clinch the NFC East"

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Carson Wentz threw for 291 yards and four touchdowns before leaving with a knee injury and Jake Elliott kicked the go-ahead 33-yard field goal with 3:45 left for the Philadelphia Eagles, who beat the Los Angeles Rams 43-35 in a thriller Sunday to clinch the NFC East title.

The NFC West-leading Rams (9-4) then went up 35-31 on Todd Gurley’s second short TD run. Elliott kicked a 41-yard field goal to pull the Eagles to 35-34. His go-ahead field goal was set up when Chris Long, a second-round draft pick of the then-St. Louis Rams in 2008, had a strip-sack of Jared Goff, with Rodney McLeod recovering.

Elliott kicked a 54-yarder, but the Eagles got an automatic first down on a personal foul on Aaron Donald. Elliott kicked the winner four plays later. The game ended on a crazy play, when Philadelphia’s Brandon Graham grabbed a lateral by Tavon Austin out of the air on the game’s last play and scored what was ruled a 16-yard fumble return.

This was the eighth time in the Super Bowl era that quarterbacks taken No. 1 and No. 2 overall in the same draft squared off. Goff was the first pick overall in 2016, followed by Wentz. Goff threw for 199 yards and two touchdowns.
[losangeles.cbslocal.com]

Dember 17, 2017
Seattle Seahawks get "Completely Outclassed" by LA Rams in 42-7 beating

SEATTLE (AP) — Pete Carroll was short and curt, and felt no need to try and provide explanations for the most lopsided loss in his Seattle Seahawks tenure other than the most obvious. "No, there is nothing to be happy about. That was a really dismal performance by us," Carroll said.

With a chance to take the division lead and have control over their playoff fate, the most important game of the season became a one-sided embarrassment the Seahawks were left to explain after a 42-7 pummeling at the hands of the Los Angeles Rams. Instead of Seattle overcoming its long list of injuries and putting forth the same kind of effort as two weeks ago when it knocked off Philadelphia, the Seahawks were completely overmatched against their division rival and for at least this season appear to have been knocked off the pedestal atop the NFC West.

The Seahawks weren't simply beaten. They were outclassed, outcoached, out-everything. The Rams led 34-0 at halftime and 40-0 midway through the third quarter. There was no point where it seemed the Seahawks were even going to threaten the Rams and that might be most troublesome of all for a team that has prided itself on the ability to compete to the final second.

Wilson was 14 of 30 passing for 142 yards and a touchdown. He fumbled trying to spin out of a sack and threw a backward pass that lost 23 yards trying to avoid another. Wilson did get sacked seven times even though Seattle knew slowing the Rams pass rush was perhaps the biggest key. Doug Baldwin had one catch. So did Jimmy Graham — for minus-1 yard. Todd Gurley had 144 yards rushing and three touchdowns in the first half. The Rams averaged 5.7 yards per carry for the game.
[www.usatoday.com]

December 24, 2017
Gurley helps Rams "Clinch NFC West"

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Putting the ball in the hands of Todd Gurley is the easiest decision for the Los Angeles Rams. The star running back is doing his best to push himself into consideration for NFL MVP with an amazing season.

Gurley came in leading the NFL with 17 touchdowns, and he added two more, including the longest reception of his career after taking a screen pass 80 yards. The Rams clinched their first NFC West title since 2003 by beating the Tennessee Titans 27-23 on Sunday.

The running back finished with 118 yards rushing and 158 yards receiving, becoming only the third in NFL history to post such a performance as he joined Ollie Matson (1954) and Herschel Walker (1986).

Gurley also became the third in NFL history with at least 2,000 scrimmage yards, 10 TDs rushing and more than five TD catches in a season, joining O.J. Simpson (1975) and Marshall Faulk (2000 and 2001).

"He's a special player," Rams first-year coach Sean McVay said. "He is playing his best the last couple of weeks when it is the most important, these last couple of weeks."

Jared Goff threw for 301 yards and four touchdown passes, the last for the final margin with 11:51 left on a 14-yarder to Cooper Kupp. Goff said he knows who he'd pick for the league's MVP award if he had a vote. "I know there's a bunch of other guys in the league doing great things, but he's got my vote," Goff said.
[www.usatoday.com]

December 31, 2017
"Resting Starters" Rams Fall to SF 49ers 34-13

LOS ANGELES — With many of their starters resting, the Rams struggled to find their rhythm on offense falling to the 49ers 34-13 in Los Angeles’ regular-season finale. Although it wasn’t an ideal outcome for the Rams — with a New Orleans’ loss — L.A. still held on to its No. 3 seed in the NFC playoffs and will host the Falcons next Saturday.

“I think anytime you go into a football game, you’re certainly going to try to win the game,” head coach Sean McVay said. “[But] I do think when you look at the way we approached it, we feel good about being able to allow some of our players to get some rest. And that was a great job by the 49ers today.”

The Rams' offense — led by quarterback Sean Mannion — struggled to get in sync early on, but was able to put points on the board with a little help from the defense. On 1st-and-10 from the SF 41, cornerback Kevin Peterson — who was starting in place of Trumaine Johnson — jumped in front of a pass intended for Goodwin to record the Rams’ 17th interception this season.

It took Los Angeles 15 plays and more than eight minutes to drive downfield, but the Rams finally struck pay dirt late in the fourth quarter. “Disappointed we didn’t come away with a win,” Mannion said. “But that being said, at least we got it going and had a long efficient drive late in the second half.”

On 1st-and-goal from the San Francisco eight-yard line, Mannion handed the ball off to running back Lance Dunbar. The North Texas product muscled his way into the endzone for his first touchdown of the season — cutting the Rams’ deficit to 21 points. The Niners were able to wind down the clock in victory formation, coming away with a 34-13 win.

With the loss, the Rams will finish the regular season 11-5. It’s an impressive turnaround for the club, which went 4-12 just one year ago. Next Saturday, the Rams will host a Wild Card game against Atlanta at the Coliseum marking the franchise’s first playoff appearance since 2004.
[www.therams.com]

January 6, 2018
Falcons show "Playoff Experience" matters in 23-13 Win over Rams

LOS ANGELES — The Falcons jumped to an early 13-point lead before the Rams mounted two swift scoring drives. Los Angeles went to the Coliseum locker room at halftime with just a three-point deficit amid raucous cheers from a home crowd thirsty for playoff success.

A raucous crowd of 74,300 packed the Coliseum on a crisp evening for the first NFL playoff game in the nation’s second-largest city since early 1994. Los Angeles went 21 years without pro football before the Rams returned last season, and the franchise emphatically ended a 13-year streak of non-winning seasons this fall with an inspiring run to the Rams’ first division title since 2003.

But the Falcons have been here before, and they showed it.

The Falcons jumped to their early lead by capitalizing on two mistakes by Pharoh Cooper, the Rams’ Pro Bowl kick returner. Atlanta’s offense then chewed up the clock and field position, with the first drive after halftime consuming 8:15.

“To end with a time of possession over 37 minutes, that’s hard to do in our league,” Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said. “There was a nine-minute drive to start the second half, and I thought that really set the tone.” The Falcons’ defense did more than enough to slow down the NFL’s highest-scoring offense, harassing Jared Goff into a 24-for-45 performance in his playoff debut.

“They did a real nice job there moving the ball up the field and keeping us on the sideline,” Goff said. “That can sure get you out of your rhythm.” Robert Woods caught nine passes for 142 yards for the Rams, but rookie Cooper Kupp scored their only touchdown late in the first half.

Atlanta held MVP candidate Todd Gurley to 101 yards rushing — just 43 in the first three quarters — and four receptions for a mere 10 yards. The Falcons ruined a celebratory night for the Rams, who rebounded from a rough homecoming season in 2016 with an outstanding debut year under 31-year-old Sean McVay, the youngest head coach to reach the playoffs in NFL history. “You see why the Falcons are the defending NFC champs,” McVay said.
[nypost.com]

February 3, 2018
Sean McVay wins NFL "Coach of the Year" in 1st season

McVay is the youngest head coach in the NFL, but his leadership and football acumen helped the Rams reach the playoffs in 2017. One year ago, Sean McVay became the youngest head coach in the NFL when he was hired by the Los Angeles Rams. At only 32 years old, he proved to the NFL that age is just a number, winning the 2017 NFL Coach of the Year Award in just his first season.

He wasn’t expected to bring the young Rams back to relevancy so soon after five straight losing seasons under Jeff Fisher. But McVay led the Rams to an 11-5 record and an NFC West crown, the franchise's first division championship since the 2003 season. He ended up winning Coach of the Year in a landslide:
[www.sbnation.com]

excerpt: from McVay's COA acceptance speech

"Wow, this truly is the ultimate team award, such a blessing and really it's a privilege to be here tonight. Truly honored and humbled, because of the respect and admiration you have for coaches around this league and the coaching profession in general.

And I also wanted to give a congratulations to coach Belichick, to coach Pederson for guiding their teams to the Super Bowl. Watching them both lead those guys to 15-3 records, is something you admire and you respect. So congratulations to them.

Things like this aren't possible without a great coaching staff, and we certainly have that. When you look at it we're talking about great teachers, leaders, motivators of men, that are geared toward helping our players reach their highest potential every single day. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who still has more swag than anyone in our building, that's players included.

John Fassel our special teams coordinator. Assistant head coach Joe Barry. And then when you look at my guy Billy Nays who keeps it all together and Reggie Scott and Ted Rath. My family my support system such a blessing to have. But without all of this, it's about the players.

They're the most important thing. And I feel so blessed to be able to work with a great group of guys. Guys that from day one were accountable to each other. They were committed to each other. They did things the right way. And they built a culture among themselves, that something as a coach you feel proud to be a part of.

Some of those guys are here tonight. Defensive player of the year Aaron Donald. Offensive player of the year Todd Gurley. And our quarterback Jared Goff. These guys represent what's right about our locker room. Feel fortunate to work with not only special players but special people. The future looks bright with these guys leading the way. This is a credit to you guys. Thank you."

Februrary 26, 2018
Chiefs trading hot-headed CB Marcus Peters to the Rams

he Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams agreed to a trade that will officially send two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters to LA when the new league year begins on March 14, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Rams will send the Chiefs a 2018 fourth-round pick and a 2019 second rounder in exchange for Peters and Kansas City’s 2018 sixth-round selection, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. That’s not nearly the haul that was expected for Kansas City, which loses one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL.

Peters, 25, was a first-round pick in 2015 and earned Defensive Rookie of the Year honors when he led the NFL in interceptions with eight. In his three NFL seasons, he’s racked up 19 interceptions and another two in the postseason, which has easily outclassed the rest of the league.

The Rams are getting a dangerous cornerback who makes big plays at a rate at which Trumaine Johnson, an impending free agent, didn’t. By getting Peters, the Rams get a cornerback who has been better than Johnson and comes with a cap hit just over $3 million in 2017.

Eventually, the Rams will probably want a long-term contract with the cornerback, but it buys the team time to get other important pieces locked down first. There’s also the fact that he’s an absolute turnover machine: Phillips also has a history of getting the most out of strong personalities, just like he did with Aqib Talib in Denver: Peters should fit right in.

If the Rams can harness and direct his energy while avoiding his tendency for outbursts, Los Angeles will have another exciting young player in place for the future.
[www.sbnation.com]

March 1, 2018
Les Snead wrote himself a Note: "Remember the Feeling"

INDIANAPOLIS — Smarting from his team’s wild-card playoff exit, which followed a surprise NFC West title, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead wrote himself a note.

“Remember the feeling,” he typed atop a Word document he refers to regularly to keep himself organized. The file features various to-do lists, reminders and ideas.

But the pain of being eliminated in the L.A. Coliseum by the Atlanta Falcons stung Snead, and he wanted to ensure that it remained fresh in his mind, thus the line. He changes the color or style of the font occasionally to keep the message fresh.

But on Thursday, it was "bold red," said Snead.

"You lose that playoff game," he recalled while speaking at the NFL scouting combine, "and when you leave the locker room for the last time, it’s not a fun trip home. And so, ‘Remember the feeling,’ means let’s use that as motivation to get a few steps farther next year.” The Rams' 11-5 campaign represented a dramatic turnaround for a franchise that went 4-12 in 2016 and hadn’t enjoyed a winning record since 2003.

Rookie head coach Sean McVay infused the organization with life. He turned running back Todd Gurley into the league's offensive player of the year while quarterback Jared Goff went from apparent bust to rising star. Coordinator Wade Phillips’ defense ranked among the best in the NFL. By year’s end, the Rams were making waves amid a fickle local fan base still unaccustomed to supporting a pro football franchise.

But Snead and McVay now deem the accomplishments of 2017 largely irrelevant. They have to take that approach to ensure long-term success, especially given the state of the NFC West.

After winning their final five games last season, the San Francisco 49ers have begun mounting a return to relevance after finding their franchise quarterback in Jimmy Garoppolo and laying a foundation with young talent. The Seattle Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2011 but remain a talented bunch even in the midst of a retooling effort.

As the Rams will soon learn, the burden of remaining atop the heap often dwarfs the pressure of trying to get there. “You got to this level of the video game, but you want to go farther,” Snead explained.

“Whether you were here last year trying to get to this level, or here this year trying to get to the next level, same desire to wake up every day and say, ‘OK, how do we get better?’ Because yesterday was successful, but not good enough.”

But the Rams remain the team to catch in the NFC West, and they aren't resting on their laurels.

Snead has already pulled off a trade for cornerback Marcus Peters and hopes to re-sign safety Lamarcus Joyner, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and receiver Sammy Watkins. On top of that, Snead is trying to secure defensive player of the year Aaron Donald to a contract extension. And Snead hasn't ruled out the possibility of additional trades for veterans or on draft day.

“It’s an urgency to get better. It’s an urgency to improve,” he said. “You have the things you want to address, and there’s a lot of avenues to address them. "It’s like some offensive coordinators — you like to attack, you like to put it in two-minute mode and get it done. I think that’s the philosophy of ‘Let’s urgently try to get better.' "
[www.usatoday.com]

March 2, 2018
L.A. Rams to trade Robert Quinn to Miami Dolphins

The Los Angeles Rams are parting ways with defensive end Robert Quinn. The Rams agreed to trade the two-time Pro Bowler to the Miami Dolphins, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Friday. The deal includes a mid-round draft pick going to Los Angeles and a swapping of late-round picks, Rapoport added.
[www.nfl.com]

March 6, 2018
Rams use "Franchise Tag" on Lamarcus Joyner

The Los Angeles Rams placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on defensive back Lamarcus Joyner on Tuesday, the last day for NFL teams to use the designation. The value of the tag for Joyner is $11.287 million for the 2018 season. The Rams, who would still like to sign Joyner to a long-term deal, have until July 16 to sign him to a multiyear contract or he will have to play the season on the franchise tag.

The Rams' decision to franchise Joyner also means that wide receiver Sammy Watkins will be an unrestricted free agent next week. The Rams' franchise decision came down to Joyner or Watkins. Joyner spent his first three seasons primarily as a slot corner for the Rams, but he excelled when given a chance to play safety under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017. Joyner earned the third-highest grade among safeties by Pro Football Focus, finishing with three interceptions -- after not recording any in the previous three years -- and 49 tackles in 12 games.
[www.espn.com]

March 7, 2018
Rams trade Ogletree to Giants for 4th & 6th round picks

Alec Ogletree is on the move from Los Angeles to New York. Ogletree, a linebacker who has played his entire five-year career with the Rams, is being traded to the Giants. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Giants will send their fourth-round pick and their sixth-round pick to the Rams for Ogletree. The Rams’ 2019 seventh-round pick will also be part of the deal.

No trade can become official until the league year starts in a week, but trade agreements can be made, and the Rams have been active on the trade market. The 26-year-old Ogletree started every game except the Rams’ meaningless Week 17 game last season. But with a $7 million roster bonus coming up and a $3 million base salary, it’s not surprising the Rams wanted his $10 million cap hit off their books. Now the Giants will take that hit, and hope they’ve bolstered their defense.
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

March 8, 2018
"Trade-Happy" Rams acquire cornerback Aqib Talib

Another day, another trade for the Rams. Also, another highly regarded cornerback, as Los Angeles continues to reshape its defense ahead of free agency and the draft. The Rams acquired Pro Bowler Aqib Thursday from the Broncos after trading for all-pro cornerback Marcus Peters earlier in the offseason.

The deal with Denver comes one day after Los Angeles traded linebacker Alec Ogeltree to the Giants, which occurred a few days after the Rams dealt pass-rusher Robert Quinn to the Dolphins. According to NFL Network, the Rams are sending the Broncos a fifth-round pick in exchange for Talib, and Pro Football Talk reported that Los Angeles will take on the entirety of the two years left on the cornerback’s contract, set to pay him $11 million this year and $8 million in 2019.

All announced NFL trades will become official when the new league year begins on Wednesday. By pairing the 32-year-old Talib, whose 34 interceptions are the most in the NFL since he was drafted in 2008, with the 25-year-old Peters, whose 19 interceptions over the past three years are the most in the NFL over that span, the Rams should prove a difficult challenge for opposing outside receivers.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

March 8, 2016
Los Angeles Rams sign CB Sam Shields

The Rams have signed the former Pro Bowl CB to see if he can make the comeback. The Los Angeles Rams continued to address the secondary signing former Green Bay Packers CB Sam Shields today: Shields is a 30-year old CB who spent all seven years of his career on the Packers. He totaled 245 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, 18 interceptions, and 66 pass deflections making the Pro Bowl in 2014.

Shields was ultimately cut in 2016 after he managed to play only one game due to a concussion history that was troublesome. He sat out the entire 2017 season in hopes of a return, and he finally gets one with the Rams. The Rams hosted him last week for a visit, and must have felt good enough about his physicals and health to think he could contribute moving forward. Ian Rapoport: Rams signed CB Sam Shields, away from football for a year, to a 1-year, $1M and change contract.
[www.turfshowtimes.com]

March 13, 2018
Rams agree to contract terms with cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman

The Rams continued to build depth in what has become an extremely talented secondary, reaching an agreement Tuesday to re-sign cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. Terms of the contract, which cannot be signed until Wednesday, were not disclosed. NFL.com reported that Robey-Coleman will receive a three-year, $15.75-million contract, with $8 million guaranteed.

Robey-Coleman, 26, signed with the Rams as a free agent before last season, and mainly played as a slot cornerback. The former USC standout performed well in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, starting four games and intercepting two passes. After the season, Robey-Coleman said that his preference was to remain with the Rams.

Now he is part of a remade secondary that includes cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, Pro Bowl selections who were acquired in trades that will become official Wednesday, and veteran Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields, who did not play last season because of concussions but signed a contract with the Rams last week.

Kayvon Webster, a starter last season who is recovering from Achilles surgery, Troy Hill and Kevin Peterson are among other cornerbacks on the roster. The Rams on Monday submitted a minimum-salary tender to Hill, an exclusive-rights free agent. Hill's tender was for $705,000. Safety Lamarcus Joyner last week received the franchise tag for $11.2 million. Second-year pro John Johnson is the other starting safety.
[www.latimes.com]

March 14th at 4 p.m. ET, NFL 2018 free-agency

There are two full months between the NFL Combine and the NFL Draft, and that schedule void is filled with the beginning of the league year in March, which in turn marks the official beginning of free agency. On March 14th at 4 p.m. ET, the 2018 free-agency period (and trading period) began.

However, beginning March 12, teams were permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who would become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 14. But a contract could not be executed with a new club until free agency began.
[www.sportingnews.com]

March 16, 2018
Rams have Re-Signed C John Sullivan to a two-year deal

Rams re-signed C John Sullivan to a 2 year, $10 million contract. Sullivan flirted with the Giants and Redskins this week but was likely only doing so to get the Rams to up their offer.

He revived his career last season in L.A. under coach Sean McVay, starting every game and receiving plus marks from Pro Football Focus for his run blocking. It's a key re-signing for the Rams.
[www.rotoworld.com]

March 19, 2018
Rams re-sign Dominique Easley

The Rams are keeping defensive tackle Dominique Easley in Los Angeles. Los Angeles re-signed Easley to a one-year deal, the team announced Monday. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Easley's contract has a base value of $1.85 million with a max of $2.85 million with incentives.

Easley missed all of 2017 due to a torn ACL suffered last August. The defensive lineman played a productive role in L.A. in 2016, compiling 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks alongside Aaron Donald in 16 games.

Easley, a former first-round pick of the New England Patriots, owns disruptive talent, but his career has been marred by injury. He tore both his ACLs in college. The successive one-year deals speak to the long-term concern about his career.

Still just 25 years old, Easley can be a productive player next to Donald in Wade Phillips' defense. The Rams, however, could still look to upgrade the position. L.A. is expected to meet with free agent Ndamukong Suh on Tuesday.
[www.nfl.com]

March 22, 2018
Rams sign LB Ramik Wilson

The Rams announced a one-year deal with inside linebacker Ramik Wilson. Wilson played three seasons with the Chiefs after they made him a fourth-round pick out of Georgia in 2015. He has played 30 games in his career.

He was set to become a restricted free agent when the new league year began last week, but the Chiefs declined to place a tender on Wilson. That made him an unrestricted free agent. Wilson, 25, has 112 tackles, an interception, three pass breakups and a forced fumble in his career.
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

March 26, 2018
Rams signing DT "Ndamukong Suh" to 1-year, $14M deal

The best remaining player in free agency has made a decision on where he'll be playing for at least the next year. Ndamukong Suh is signing with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year, $14 million deal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

Suh made his decision after visiting with the Saints and Titans last week before visiting L.A. on Tuesday. He initially planned to visit the Raiders on Wednesday before deciding to skip the scheduled meetup. Despite not hosting Suh on a visit, the Jets emerged as a serious contender for his services late in the week, but rescinded their offer on Sunday.

The former Miami Dolphins defensive tackle, who was released by the team at the start of free agency last week, tallied 15.5 sacks and 181 combined tackles in his time in Miami, despite eating up double teams constantly. Since 2010, he ranks second among NFL DTs in sacks (51.5), first in QB hits (147), second in total pressures (381.5) and first in tackles for loss (103).

In Los Angeles, Suh will pair for at least one season with Aaron Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year. The two defensive tackles have made the first-team All-Pro squad six times between them.

Suh isn't the only massive name Les Snead and Co. have acquired this offseason. Los Angeles reshaped its secondary before free agency, making separate trades to bring AFC West standouts Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib to the organization, tagging Lamarcus Joyner, re-signing Nickell Robey-Coleman and signing Packers veteran Sam Shields.

In acquiring a trio of potential Hall of Famers this offseason, the Rams have constructed their own 21st century version of the Fearsome Foresome -- two bulldozers on the line and two ballhawks roaming the secondary -- all captained by one of the best defensive coordinators in NFL history, Wade Phillips.

But as quickly as this Rams' defensive dynasty has been put together, it will be equally fleeting. Los Angeles has Donald, Suh and Joyner under contract for only one season. In other words, just one full year into the Sean McVay era and with Jared Goff still on his rookie contract, the Rams are going all in now. It's Super Bowl or bust in 2018.
[www.nfl.com]

April 3, 2018
Brandin Cooks "Traded from Patriots to Rams" for 1st and 6th-round picks

Les Snead isn't finished wheeling and dealing. The Los Angeles Rams have acquired receiver Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick in a trade with the New England Patriots, the team announced via its official site. The Rams are sending their first-round pick in the upcoming draft (No. 23 selection) and a sixth-round pick to the Patriots, according to the announcement.

Cooks lands on his second new team in as many years, being dealt from the organization that acquired him via trade last offseason. The speedster, who was sorely missed in the latter stages of Super Bowl LII, leaves New England after posting a 65-catch, 1,082-yard season that also included seven touchdowns.

Cooks is perhaps the best receiver to be traded twice over a young career that has shown plenty of promise and production so far. The game-breaking wideout is one of only three players with 1,000-plus receiving yards and five-plus receiving touchdowns in each of the last three seasons. The other two: Antonio Brown and Larry Fitzgerald.

The 24-year-old moves to a team featuring a quarterback with whom he is familiar (thanks to sharing representation via Rep1 Sports) and one that was in need of another deep threat after the departure of Sammy Watkins. Cooks brings his top-end speed and big-play ability to a receiving corps that now features targets for every level of the field, and does so affordably in 2018, as he's in the fifth and final year of his rookie deal (due $8.5 million).
[www.nfl.com]

April 28, 2018
Rams trade Tavon Austin to the Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles traded wide receiver Tavon Austin to Dallas on Saturday, ending his tenure with the franchise. In exchange, the Rams received the 192nd overall pick, which they used to select Maine offensive lineman Jamil Demby. After suffering a wrist injury during the offseason program and a hamstring injury during training camp in 2017, Austin’s role on offense was noticeably reduced.
[www.therams.com]

May 21, 2018
Rams' Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has foot surgery

Former Oklahoma defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has undergone foot surgery, per The Orange County Register’s Rich Hammond. Okonrokwo, who was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

He was absent from the teams OTA practice on Monday and will return at some point during the team’s summer training camp, Rams coach Sean McVay told Hammond. Okonronkwo is expected to play at linebacker with the Rams, though he’ll now be getting less reps during practice and camp this summer than intially expected now having undergone surgery.
[www.diehards.com]

May 29, 2018
Greg Zuerlein returns to Rams practice "after back surgery"

THOUSAND OAKS — Between the bustle of two practice fields, with Rams running about, one of the smallest guys on the grass made some of the most significant moves Tuesday.

Greg Zuerlein teed up a ball and booted it, kickoff-style. It’s something he’s done thousands of times in a six-year NFL career, but Zuerlein is only five months removed from back surgery. His progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that he will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season.

“I don’t think there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be if I stay healthy,” Zuerlein said after a team practice at Cal Lutheran. “And I feel good. Everything should be fine.”

On many NFL teams, the summer status of a kicker wouldn’t be news, but Zuerlein has been a major part of the Rams’ offense in the past two seasons, to the point where quarterback Jared Goff said he felt at ease when the team crossed midfield, with the knowledge that they would at least get three points.

After a mid-career slump, Zuerlein rebounded in 2016 and was even better last season, when he made 38 of 40 field-goal attempts and was selected to the NFC’s Pro Bowl team.

Zuerlein didn’t make it to the game, though, because he underwent back surgery in December. More surprising was the revelation that Zuerlein had been kicking through back problems all season and still performed at a near-perfect level.

“It wasn’t comfortable,” Zuerlein said, “but it’s just one of those things. Everyone is dinged up or has something that is not 100 percent. I just went through the season and tried not to let it bother me until I got to the point where I couldn’t.”

That moment came before the Rams’ Dec. 17 game at Seattle when the Rams weren’t even sure if Zuerlein would be able to kick. He made two field-goal attempts and four of his five extra-point attempts, then needed a ride home from special teams coach John Fassel because he couldn’t drive.

The Rams signed free-agent kicker Sam Ficken to replace Zuerlein, and Ficken remains on the Rams’ roster because they didn’t know exactly how Zuerlein’s recovery would go.

It seems likely that Zuerlein will be held out of live drills during the final two weeks of the Rams’ offseason program, and while he stopped short of saying it directly, Zuerlein seemed to indicate that he could do more right now if the Rams desired it.

“It’s just following the program that the trainers set out for us,” Zuerlein said. “So I’ve just got to follow it. … Everything has been going well. No complaints. Feel good. Just happy to be out here.”
[www.ocregister.com]

June 12, 2018
Aaron Donald "Skips Mandatory Minicamp" seeking deal

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald is not attending the Los Angeles Rams' mandatory minicamp while he continues his lengthy quest for a lucrative new contract.

Donald wasn't on the field with his teammates for the Rams' first minicamp workout Tuesday, and he wasn't at their training complex for their off-field commitments Monday, either. The NFL Defensive Player of the Year also skipped the Rams' voluntary workout program over the previous two months.

The 27-year-old Donald doesn't have extensive leverage in the negotiation because the Rams theoretically could keep him for another three seasons through 2021 under a franchise tag. Neither side has disclosed their contract proposals, but Donald is widely thought to be seeking a contract big enough to make him one of the top-paid players at any position, with a salary comparable to the wages of the NFL's better quarterbacks.

Donald is expected to be the foundation of a standout defensive line alongside Rams newcomer Ndamukong Suh, who agreed to a one-year, $14 million deal in the offseason.

Donald is missing several weeks of work with the Rams' revamped defense, which also added star cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters while losing three veteran leaders: Trumaine Johnson, Robert Quinn and captain Alec Ogletree.

"He's the MVP, so we know what he's going to do when he gets here," Talib said. "Everybody is just going to be themselves. If you're a leader, it's going to happen naturally. Nobody has to go out of their way to be a leader, go out of their way to hoorah and just yell stuff out. Everybody will just be themselves."

NOTES: Donald is the only player unaccounted for at minicamp, McVay confirmed. ... McVay is canceling Thursday's scheduled practice and taking his team on a tour of the franchise's under-construction stadium in Inglewood, California. The Rams and the Los Angeles Chargers will open the multibillion-dollar Hollywood Park stadium complex in 2020.
[www.usatoday.com]

June 14, 2018
Rams wrap up mandatory minicamp led by 'Strong Personalities'

It’s technically not even a live practice, but man, is it great to have football back. The Los Angeles Rams finished up their last day of mandatory minicamp Wednesday with a brief practice including special teams drills, positional work and light throwing sessions. It did not include any scrimmaging, contact or, most notably, reigning AP Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald.

But don’t fret Rams fans, because the team sure isn’t. “It’s something you can’t do anything about. I don’t stay up all night every night,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said while slightly laughing. “He didn’t come until later last year and he did OK.” Without the returning defensive star, a lot of attention focused on the new faces in the crowd that bring much more than talent to the Rams roster.

“These guys have great personalities and they also have a swagger and confidence about themselves and they love football,” said head coach Sean McVay in regards to recently acquired All-Pro cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. “That’s what we want, guys that love football.”

The two have proven their worth on the field over their combined 13 years, tallying a total of 53 interceptions and seven Pro Bowl appearances; however, it’s their attitude that stands out to Phillips. “You don’t want players that do everything you say. You want them to show some initiative.”

The 70-year-old veteran coordinator coached Talib in Denver as a member of the 2016 Super Bowl winning Broncos team and is well aware of what he is dealing with when instructing the corner. “If there’s an argument or something going on, Talib is going to take the other side,” Phillips said with a smile. “So I already know that about him. He’s going to argue about what rap singer is the best, or whatever.”

“With Coach McVay’s energy and ability to lead a room, you think, ‘we got a shot!'” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “There was zero complacency after what we thought was a good season.”

McVay says he will go on vacation for a little now that minicamp is over before training camp arrives because “once you get close to training camp, you start to get that itch.” Others, including running back Todd Gurley and defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, have not made concrete plans, but are welcoming the time to relax with open arms. As for wide receiver Brandin Cooks, he may very well spend his time just binging cartoons.

“My favorite show is SpongeBob Squarepants,” Cooks said stone faced. When asked if he still watches it, without missing a beat, he responded, “Absolutely! I’m not joking either.” While vacation plans are up in the air, one thing is not: football is back!
[www.foxsports.com]

June 14, 2018
McVay cancels final day of minicamp as Rams tour Inglewood Stadium site

In a few years, Jared Goff will throw passes to Rams receivers in a new stadium in Inglewood. On Thursday, during a team tour of the stadium site, the ascending star quarterback fired spirals to appreciative construction workers safely perched a level above what will be the playing surface.

“You can truly see the shape of the stadium,” Goff said. “That’s what’s kind of surprising to me — to see actually how far along they are.”

Rams coach Sean McVay canceled the final day of a mandatory minicamp so players could tour the Inglewood site and Playa Vista preview center, where potential suite and season-ticket buyers can visit. The buses eventually descended a ramp 100 feet to the field level of the stadium, where players, coaches and Kroenke took in the view as round-the-clock construction continued.
[www.mcall.com]

July 3, 2018
Rams Jamon Brown suspended for violating substance policy

Los Angeles Rams right guard Jamon Brown has been suspended without pay by the NFL for the first two games of the season for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

Brown will be allowed to participate in training camp and preseason games, but will not be on the active roster for the season opener against the Oakland Raiders or for the Rams' Week 2 matchup against NFC West rival Arizona. Brown, a fourth-year pro, can return to the active roster on Sept. 17 in preparation for the Rams' Week 3 game against the Los Angeles Chargers.

In a statement released on Twitter, Brown apologized and explained that an "isolated mistake" 18 months ago led to his suspension. His suspension is a considerable loss for a team that is looking to win a second consecutive division title and is considered a Super Bowl contender. Last season, Brown started 16 games as the Rams became the only team in the NFL to start the same five linemen for 15 consecutive weeks.

The group allowed 28 sacks and helped spring running back Todd Gurley for 1,305 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns. Third-year pro Austin Blythe is among the candidates to start in place of Brown. Last season Blythe saw time at center and guard. The Rams open training camp July 26.
[www.espn.com]

July 17, 2018
Rams sign Brandin Cooks to 5-year 80 million dollar extension

Cooks said he knew he wanted to sign a long-term contract shortly after arriving at the team's training facility and observing the culture established by McVay. "Even before I got here, you saw something special going on with this team, with the coach, our great owner, and the teammates that I'm involved with," Cooks said. "It's a young culture that is very energetic."

The Rams are coming off an 11-5 season that included their first NFC West Division title in 14 years and their first playoff appearance since 2004. A fifth-year pro, Cooks is entering the final season of his rookie contract, which is scheduled to pay him $8.4 million. His extension will keep him with the Rams through the 2023 season. "I just knew that this is a place where I want to be for a really long time," Cooks said, adding, "I'm just excited to get Game 1 let alone six years. So that's what I'm focused on now."

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports the extension is worth $80 million, meaning Cooks is on the books for $88 million over six years with the Rams, including what he is scheduled to make in 2018.
[www.espn.com]

2017 LA Rams Stats

OFFENSE
Off AVG Points Per Game 29.9 Rank #1
Off Total Yards Per Game 361.5 Rank #10
Off Pass Yards Per Game 239.4 Rank #10
Off Rush Yards Per Game 122.1 Rank #8
Off 3rd Down Conversion 41.1% Rank #9
Off AVG Yards Per Pass 7.4 Rank #7
Off AVG Yards Per Rush 4.3 Rank #7
Off AVG Yards Per Play 5.8 Rank #6

DEFENSE
Def AVG Points Per Game 20.6 Rank #12
Def Total Yards Per Game 339.5 Rank #19
Def Pass Yards Per Game 217.2 Rank #13
Def Rush Yards Per Game 122.3 Rank #28
Def 3rd Down Conversion 37.8% Rank #14
Def AVG Yards Per Pass 6.3 Rank #10
Def AVG Yards Per Rush 4.7 Rank #30
Def AVG Yards Per Play 5.3 Rank #18
Def Total Interceptions (18) Rank #6
Def Total Fumble recov (10) Rank #11
Def Takeaways Fum/Int (28) Rank #5
Def Total Sacks (48) Rank #4
Team Total Points Differential +149 Rank #3

July 23-25, 2018
Rookies & Veterans "Report to Training Camp"

The Rams will hold 13 practices at UC Irvine during their 2018 Training Camp

August 9th - August 30th: 2018 Preseason Schedule

I hope all of you faithful Rams fans enjoyed this timeline presentation of the "Last 12 Months."

Training camp begins this week and I lift my glass to all of you saying cheers!

Go 2018 LA RAMS!

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anonymous User1554July 22, 2018 08:08AM

I've been waiting for these

Speedball89320July 22, 2018 08:24AM

Re: Los Angeles RAMS "The Last 12 Months"

Ramsdude251July 22, 2018 08:49AM

Rams43237July 22, 2018 09:12AM

den-the-coach168July 22, 2018 09:39AM