Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why the Rams Didn’t Bundle Picks to Trade Up

April 28, 2018 08:17PM
Many called for the Rams to use some of the extra picks to trade up and were frustrated when it didn’t happen other than one time (the move to get OO)

After seeing what happened today, here’s my theory on why they actually traded down multiple times and up only once.

3 things first:

1) Trading requires a trading partner. As of now we don’t know if the Rams were attempting to trade up and couldn’t find any takers. Trade Les could probably have found takers if he was trying. He traded up once.
2) You really can’t get very far trading 4th and 6th round picks.....certainly not up into the prime rounds (1-3) They're just not worth much in a trade up.
3) The Rams list of needs wasn’t that long: LB, OL, DL

I think the Rams calculated that bundling later round picks couldn't get them into a range where the players were significantly better than where their original picks were.....so they decided instead that they would use multiple picks on their primary need areas rather than trading them to move up. Their list of needs was short, so It gives them multiple swings at the plate at a few positions to find players who can contribute. Supporting this theory is that Les actually traded down multiple times, giving them even more picks. He wanted more picks, not fewer.

The result is they will have a lot of competition at those need positions....increasing the odds of hitting on some quality players.

They went for quantity over quality because they calculated that the quality difference wouldn't be that great between who they could have had a little higher, and who they actually ended up with.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 08:22PM by RamBill.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why the Rams Didn’t Bundle Picks to Trade Up

RamBill815April 28, 2018 08:17PM

Re: Good post.......I can buy

RamFire499April 28, 2018 08:30PM

Re: Snead took unnecessary risk....

spagsbacker366April 29, 2018 03:25AM

zn352April 29, 2018 04:14AM

Rampage2K-310April 29, 2018 07:37AM

Re: Why the Rams Didn’t Bundle Picks to Trade Up