Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My draft thoughts - long

April 28, 2018 08:01PM
My final mock draft had Okoronkwo and Kiser with a change of pace back, a project OT, an OC/OG, a 2nd edge, a TE and a S/CB combo.

The Rams drafted Okoronkwo, Kiser, a change of pace back, a project OT, a OC/OG, 2 34 ends, 2 more edge, a OG , a DT and a LB/S

So all in all I was pretty happy with how this draft played out. I had the order wrong, but the overall layout pretty close. and I got Kiser and Ogbo. This draft accomplished a few things:

1. It is insurance against OL injuries that the Rams magically avoided last year and I doubt they avoid this year.
2. They also added enough OL depth as to have to force a OT or OC in the first round next year. DL/Edge is deep in the first next year and maybe they get a guy like Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant, Montez Sweat, Joe Jackson (a personal favorite).
3. They added a ILB,(a second 1 in UDFA) and a bunch of edge rushers. Ogbo is a pass rusher, Young is a project that if he can get healthy is a steal and Lawler is a Barwin replacement that can also rush the QB. So they covered their bases in their one weak spot - LB
4. They added some actual 34 DEs. They really have 3 43 DTs on the starting DL right now in Brockers, Suh and AD.
5. they got a replacement for Lance Dunbar. As Gurley goes, so goes the Rams. I preferred Walton or Wadley or Chase Edmonds but I'm ok with Kelly.

Enough patting myself on the back, on to the picks.

3 (89) Joseph Noteboom

My bigboard comments:
134. Joseph Notebloom - OT - TCU- 6'-5" 309 lbs. - Great size with room to grow, athletic and good footwork. Needs to be more consistant and learn how to really use his hands as a tool.

I thought they reached on him by a round, but he has rare feet for a guy his size and will continue to grow into that frame. I think with a year or 2 under his belt, he will learn to fight with his hands and along with added NFL weight room strength will give him a legit chance to start. My biggest concern is his lack of aggressiveness. That is inherent. Not taught. If he can't get a little more nasty then he is, he is nothing more then a poor man's Jason Smith.

I was thinking that Tyrell Crosby was the pick if it was a OT, but the more I got into him, the more I realized he is a RT only. I think the concussion angle lead to his slide on top of his limited position value.

My pick at OT was Cappa, but I think he is being projected at OG. Good for Humboldt State and good for this kid. Overall knowing how the draft turned out I am fine with this pick.

Josey Jewell went 5 picks before the Rams 1st pick in the 4th but they had the ammo to get him if they wanted him. They didn't, they wanted Kiser.

4 (111) Brian Allen OC TCU

My bigboard comments:
218. Brian Allen - OC - Michigan State - 6'-1" 298 lbs. - A strong, tough center that is sluggish in his movement. A workhorse.

My admitted blindspot is OC. I had him obviously as a reach. 117 picks too high, but I only had 2 true OCs rrated higher, Quessenberry and Boizeman and Bozeman wasn't a scheme fit. Brian Allen come from a football family, was a stud HS wrestler, which means he knows how to manipulate an opponents weight and can use his hands really well. A leader (captain) as well. He is a bit stubby and is limited athletically but has a real chance to be a OC in 2 years.

This pick cost me Dorance Armstrong Jr., and at first I was upset but trying to be analytical it made sense and I felt better about the pick. I have been told to trust McSneads process with No Chainz, and Peters and Suh and Cooks. Well I am trying. And part of that means trusting the draft process. I said in a post that I think the Rams are targeting specific players and will stick to that plan. They knew OO would be there later and had a backup plan if he wasn't.

As Flipper said, Rock solid pick.

4 (135) John Franklin-Myers

No bigboard comments

Played in the NFLPA all star game and showed some pass rush ability. Nice length for a 34 end but I'm pretty sure is raw coming from SFA.

Was not on my stacked board or big board.

At the combine he looked tight hipped, he pops upright out of his stance instead of forward so he will get stood up at the next level and other then his 4.75 40 time, was not very explosive.

How he makes the team I have no idea. Andrew Brown made much more sense as a 34 end.Hurst at DL as well. Or a couple of TEs like Fumagalli or Schultz made more sense. My Cruikshank CB/S pick made a ton of sense.

Poor pick. see him on the PS. Or as Westbrooks dumbassery insurance.

5 (147) Micah Kiser - ILB - Virginia

My bigboard Comments:
128. Micah Kiser - ILB -Virginia - 6'-0" 238 lbs. - A stat machine that is constantly coming forward and under control. @ 240 lbs, can hold his own, a bit tight but has made plays in the passing game.

Thank goodness. I love this pick. He diagnoses quickly, is built like a tank and with this line, he is going to just stack up stats. A plus blitzer, and I think has a real chance to be a starter sooner then later. He will be a fan favorite due to the fact when he hits you, you go down. He doesn't over pursue and he loves contact. Intelligent as a bonus and a community leader, not just his team leader. I loved Denzel Perryman from the '15 draft and I love this pick in the 5th as a close comp.

Love the pick.

5 (160) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Edge ­- Oklahoma

My bigboard Comments:
97. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Edge ­- Oklahoma - 6'-2" 253 lbs. - A tad short, but explosive and makes plays. Takes a variety of paths to the QB but is too stiff to dip and rip to get the edge.

Wow, back to back picks I loved. He follows a theme of hard working, high motor, high effort winners. He will get after the QB and with the line in front of him he is going to get one on one matchups all day. THe only reason he slide is he is not 6'-5". Her is packed into a 6'-2" frame. He takes different paths to the QB, will go low to get home, and can get narrow. He can get stonewalled, but will not give up on a play.

Great value meeting a need, great pick.

6 (176) John Kelly RB Tenn.

No Bigboard comments

THe only reason I didn't include him on my bigboard was his misdemeanor pot possession and a slow 40 time. He would have been a 6th rounder if he ran in the 4.5 range. He has 3 down back size at 5'-10" 215 lbs. Poor mans Kamara or maybe even Corey Clement come to mind. I preferred Akrum Wadlry, but no one else did, so shows what I know. He has power for his size, and plays like a 230 lb back. Little wiggle without homerun speed, but he catches the football and was highly productive. he could be a steal if he keeps his nose clean and his head down.

I like the pick.

6 (192 Jamil Demby OG - Maine

No Bigboard comments.

I mentioned him as a possible draft pick about a month ago. The Rams hired Liam Coen to be the QB coach, he was the OC at Maine, so he had to have some insight on him. Huge human being at 6'-5" 320 lbs. Thank goodness our QB came from Ventura Community College and has the skill set to throw around him. He needs to be coached up but has natural strength and held up reasonably well at the Snead Bowl, I mean, Senior Bowl.

I preferred a number of guys including: Equanimeous St. Brown and marcel Ateman.

I was OK with this pick.

6 (195) Sebastian Joseph - DT - Rutgers

No Bigboard Comments.

This came from right field for me. They took the wrong Rutgers defender (Turay) He is big, strong and athletic that just never had the stats to match. High motor and maybe some upside.

I find it hard to see him making the team. PS possibility.

6 (205) Trevon Young -edge - Louisville

My Boigboard comments:
173. Trevon Young - Edge - Louisville - 6'-4" 258 lbs. - a speed to power guy that has had serious medical issues so he either passes and gets drafted or fails the medicals and goes undrafted.

He is still recovering from a hip injury. He has not regained his flexibility yet, but his combine was promising. He could go 3 ways. Doesn't recover enough to stick, recovers enough to stick on the PS or gets healthy and is the steal of the draft. He is my favorite type of edge. A spewed to power converter with plenty of length and motor to really do some damage.

I liked Ola Adeniyi - Toledo or Ada Aruna - Tulane as safer picks. But:

If he is healthy, I love this pick.

7 (231) Travin Howard - LB - TCU

No Bigboard Comments.

WTH, I have no idea where he fits. He is a 210 lb. LBer. So a conversion to S? I prefer to convert CBs to S, like John Johnson. And if anyone forgets how much I loved John Johnson before anyone else, I will not allow that to happen.

My guess - ST help or bust.

My least favorite pick, but its the 7th round.

7 (244) Justin Lawler - Edge - SMU

No Bigboard Comments.

He is a replacement for Connor Barwin with the ability to rush the passer. A bigger edge (Strong side) at 6-4" 265 lbs. Give Leafnose some credit for this little comment: For me, I have some distinctions where I know they like Justin Lawler. Can't figure where he would be picked up. i responded with: In a trade down in the 7th round. So that is all you need to know where I think he should have been drafted. Big props to Leaf

He's another high motor, high character, strong but a little limited athletically, defender. I think he has a shot to make it.

I like the pick.

Tegrey Scales was grabbed in UDFA. He was a personal favorite of mine. And ranked 151 on my bigboard. NFL.com likened him to Brandon Marshall...with a 5th round grade.

My bigboard Comments:
151. Tegrey Scales - ILB - Indiana - 6'-0" 230 lbs. - A bit undersized for an ILB at 6'-0". +instincts and is always moving forward. Has trouble disengaging from blocks at times.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall a solid draft where it was obvious due to lack of talent, teams where moving around for scheme and need fits. The Rams are not far from being a complete team and some of these picks are going to have to hit as you cannot pay everyone.

I really wanted a redzone WR, but after TA was traded it was obvious that he was not making this team and that they were not wasting a pick on a WR. WR depth could be an issue, but who would beat out: Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper, and Thomas? Maybe Thomas, but the Rams seem happy with their top 6.

RB is set, WR is set OL is now deep and the only questions are backup QB and TE.

As far as defense, DL is set, LB is set and DB are set. Safety depth could be an issue.

As far as what I am paying close to attn to in next years draft class: NT (Suh is a 1 yr rental) Edge (its just so deep ) TE for the middle rounds. LT help because its a great class. And a backup QB.

Oh and what do you guys like or pay attn to and what could you care less about:

Bigboard
positional rankings
Rams stacked board
mock drafts

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My draft thoughts - long

Deadpool998April 28, 2018 08:01PM

Re: My draft thoughts - long

Steve374April 28, 2018 08:31PM

Lynch had a miserable draft

Deadpool466April 28, 2018 08:44PM

Re: Lynch had a miserable draft

Steve308April 28, 2018 08:45PM

Rams43273April 28, 2018 09:39PM

Re: +1

VANRAM220April 28, 2018 10:11PM

Thanks DP...Outstanding comments! nm

Ram Fan Teacher187April 29, 2018 05:01AM

hubestar256April 28, 2018 10:00PM

addendum...

hubestar376April 28, 2018 10:11PM

Great write up thanks for all the draft work

David Deacon220April 29, 2018 01:54AM

i'm in awe

wv ram242April 29, 2018 02:50AM

It was a weird draft

Deadpool268April 29, 2018 08:23AM

Wow, terrific post!

Ramboni259April 29, 2018 04:07AM

many thanks to Dead and all our other gurus

21Dog212April 29, 2018 04:59AM

+1.....nm

Arkansas Ram299April 29, 2018 05:18AM

Thanks, DP

JYB202April 29, 2018 05:17AM

Always appreciate your thoughts and opinions-but...

waterfield224April 29, 2018 10:33AM

quick feet

Deadpool219April 29, 2018 10:46AM

Re: quick feet

waterfield187April 29, 2018 11:41AM

Brilliant - thanks for your hard work, and also thanks

RamUK162April 29, 2018 01:51PM

I echo RamUK's Thought's

Crazylegs219April 29, 2018 02:00PM