Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: LB is critical

April 25, 2018 10:48AM
merlin
Ebukam looks like he'll be a solid LOLB, but outside of that this corps requires young legs and physicality in the worst way. Edge on the blindside is an enormous need. So is a good ILB who can step in and start next to Barron.

Lot of the ILBs that we'll be looking at midrounds, too, need work. Jewell, for example, seems to lack instincts in coverage, I expect him to be a passing game liability as he settles in if he's the guy. Kiser even moreso btw, to the extent that I think in most mocks I've seen he's overvalued. Truth is that ILBs in today's game need to be solid in the passing game, at least capable of quick drops in zone. But in Wade's scheme a guy like Kiser is a two down run stuffer IMO.

So the talent is there, but I think it's critical they solve the edge spot first then get a good ILB in here who can call the D and at least hold it down with some good drops in coverage.

Oh and lastly re: Wade the Rams need to make sure they're giving him what he needs, as I don't want that dude retiring on us. Get him the pieces. The secondary moves were just that, but even as good as Wade is he cannot overcome a lack of talent at LB. Rams gotta at least get some young kids in here he can coach up.

I see the same thing you do: a lot of the ILBs need work. Your observation on Kiser is exactly how I think Wade will address the run D need. He'll target a run stuffing player and limit them to two downs. I don't see an all around ILB available where we're picking.

OTOH, if all you're looking for is a run stuffer you can get those as far deep in the draft as the 6th round.

Jack Cichy, Tre Williams, Jason Cabinda, Tegray Scales, Nick DeLuca, and Frank Ginda are all names I could see them picking up. Especially Williams with one of the 6ths. He has the size for Mike that Wade prefers and he was a standout performer in the Senior Bowl which Snead loves.

Regarding the lack of talent at LB, for perspective, we should keep in mind that we had the exact same situation last year. Neither AO, Barwin, or Quinn (with the exception of 4 late season games) had good seasons overall last year. Last year Wade had names but not the performance befitting those names.

So in some respects, Wade already overcame a lack of talent at LB last year.

At blindside edge, Quinn had an amazing late season explosion but from a statistical standpoint over the course of the entire season Longacre was better.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams "needs"

SoCalRAMatic563April 24, 2018 07:03AM

Re: Rams "needs"

Rams43168April 24, 2018 07:26AM

Re: Rams "needs"..........As I see it.

oldschoolramfan141April 24, 2018 08:56AM

OL depth and LB in no particular order

RockRam333April 24, 2018 09:04AM

Re: UDFA's.............

oldschoolramfan142April 24, 2018 12:38PM

Always have needs