Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

King: There’s too much smoke around the OBJ-to-the-Rams trade story to dismiss it.

April 01, 2018 07:23PM
From Peter King-- [www.si.com]

There’s too much smoke around the Odell Beckham Jr.-to-the-Rams trade story to dismiss it.

First it was Giants CEO John Mara saying in Orlando: “I want him to be a Giant. I can’t promise that’s going to happen.” Then it was the Rams doing nothing to debunk the rumors of their interest. Then it was Beckham, according to the New York Daily News, telling Rams players he would like to play there. Here’s what I think now: The Rams are definitely interested. The price tag—likely two first-round picks plus a contract averaging at least $18 million a year—is daunting and could eventually roadblock L.A., but that’s not happening now. If the Giants move Beckham, the Rams will be in the game till the end.

There’s no way Giants coach Pat Shurmur would want Beckham traded; Shurmur took the job in January believing he’d have Beckham as his biggest weapon. Shurmur’s desire isn’t going to be what decides this, but it’s a factor. On the other hand, Rams coach Sean McVay isn’t afraid of taking on the mercurial Beckham.

This isn’t an easy one to decipher. The Giants already have a short fuse with the immature Beckham. He lives in Los Angeles in the offseason and could make it very hard on the Giants and their rookie head coach by not showing up for any of the offseason work, and holding out well into the summer. They may decide he’s not worth the trouble, and take two low first-rounders for him, and save all that cap money they’d have to pay him long-term—realizing full well it’s a deal they could soon regret. Look at GM Dave Gettleman’s history in Carolina. He had a big veteran star, Josh Norman, about to be a contract-related distraction for the Panthers in 2016. Gettleman’s solution was simply to cut him loose. If you told Gettleman he could get two first-round picks for a huge headache … well, I don’t have to draw you a map.

I’d feel more confident that the Giants would dump Beckham, except for one thing: I covered the Giants in the eighties, and I remember how Giants scion Wellington Mara, John’s father, overlooked all the headaches the great Lawrence Taylor gave the franchise for years, because of his transcendent talent. I saw Wellington Mara get emotional with Taylor after he played a heroic 1987 game. Mara knew how important Taylor was to his team. John Mara is very much like his father. So there’s that. This one’s a conundrum.

Yes, Beckham is worth two ones. The narrative in some NFL quarters that Beckham is not worth two first-round draft picks in trade—especially two late first-round picks, as would likely be the case if the Giants traded with the Rams. Check out the first-round receivers in the last three years, many of whom have “bust” written all over them:

Beckham was hurt in game four last year, his fourth NFL season. His average season for the first three years—96 catches, 1,374 yards, 12 touchdowns—was historic.

My point about Beckham’s value isn’t that because 12 of the 13 receivers picked in the last three first rounds have been underwhelming the Rams should overpay for Beckham. It’s that recent history says the value of first-round receivers is not good. And if you’re desperate for a receiver, and Beckham, 25, is in the pool, why wouldn’t you consider paying two low first-rounders—as the Rams would have to—in order to make a serious bid for a premier player?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 07:28PM by RamBill.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

King: There’s too much smoke around the OBJ-to-the-Rams trade story to dismiss it.

RamBill835April 01, 2018 07:23PM

Re: King: There’s too much smoke around the OBJ-to-the-Rams trade story to dismiss it.

SoCalRAMatic304April 01, 2018 07:40PM

King oversimplifies the decision while ignoring possible pitfalls...

Rams43345April 02, 2018 06:54AM

Giants record when

RAMSINCE ARNETT257April 02, 2018 07:20AM

Re: Big Mortgage

leafnose319April 03, 2018 04:20AM

round 1 of the draft is overrated

ferragamo79190April 03, 2018 08:07AM

Re: round 1 of the draft is overrated

Rams43188April 03, 2018 08:13AM

Re: Gimme a 1st rd pick everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's...NM

laram246April 03, 2018 08:20AM

There has been analysis done of success rate...

Ramsfsninmd163April 03, 2018 08:24AM

Yeah I went back to 1974 1st round

ferragamo79161April 03, 2018 08:33AM

Re:Of course its important to hit in later rounds..

laram267April 03, 2018 08:37AM

half of those listed are not 1st rounders

ferragamo79147April 03, 2018 09:15AM

2 first rounders isn't going to happen

David Deacon209April 03, 2018 08:28AM

agree that is top tier QB capital

ferragamo79161April 03, 2018 08:34AM