Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few fearless offseason prognostications...

January 25, 2018 10:51AM
It’s gonna be another tricky offseason, isn’t it?

On the one hand they want to ideally retain FA’s that can’t realistically be upgraded.

On the other hand, they have to keep an eye on cap limitations, overall. Thus, several high priced current starters may be vulnerable.

On the 3rd hand they certainly want to upgrade every possible starter that they can with resources available. They did a magnificent job of that last offseason, didn’t they?

On the 4th hand, they lack a 2nd rounder in this draft.

Like I said, tricky.

My best guesses?

Joyner extended. A very high priority. No upgrade possible or necessary. Might cost $10 million per, though.
TruJo gone. He won’t sign for a cap friendly price. Replace him via draft or FA. A better press man CB wouldn’t be a bad thing anyway, would it?
NRC likely extended. Plenty good enough for now and should be affordable.
Quinn gone. Mostly because of cap, but also because of declining play impact.
Barron 50% likely gone. Salary, plus health issues reduces bang for the buck too much.
Watkins is probably 50-50 to be extended. Hopefully, for $10 million, or less.

Those are the 6 biggie offseason decisions. The lesser ones will sort themselves out. A fool’s errand to speculate on them at this point, anyway.

Don’t be surprised if a NT or edge rusher is the pick at #23.

In fact, I think only a LOT that they really like that falls would prevent one of those 2 position picks. Not very likely, IMO.

I sense that CB might wait until the 3rd round. Why? Snead has been outstanding at finding quality DB’s in mid rounds or later. Plus, our asst coaches in the secondary seem to be exceptional teachers and developers, as well.

A source of comfort is that there will be tons of cap room for replacing overpriced current starters and FA wannabes if Quinn and Barron are offloaded.

I see a move of Tree to Barron’s spot and a new starter added via draft or FA to take Tree’s spot. Might even be a player already on the roster. These suggestions for NT and the 2 ILB positions should help in improving Wade’s run D, big time.

The AD contract extension? It will sort itself out over the next 3 seasons. Not gonna worry about it just yet.

Well, my crystal ball is getting dim, now, so I’ll stop climbing out on this limb. Must need new batteries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 10:53AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few fearless offseason prognostications...

Rams43491January 25, 2018 10:51AM

You think Joyner is worth franchise tag money

reggae147January 25, 2018 11:58AM

That's not really franchise tag money

AlbaNY_Ram166January 25, 2018 12:52PM