Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff's ability to take the classroom to the field is noticeable.

November 07, 2017 03:49AM
Remember for the first couple of games of this year that even the announcers were saying that Goff has to stop backing up in the pocket when there's pressure and instead step forward?

I also remember Whitworth saying that he took Goff aside and told him to TRUST the Oline to keep him clean; but the way he can show that trust is to step UP, not back, in the pocket. Because when he steps back, it ruins the blocking angles and they really don't know where he is.

Boom. Next game, and ever since, Goff steps up and the results are terrific.

It is also impressive the variation of plays from game to game. Plays we haven't seen before, executed well.

And, now, Goff is calling plays at the line based on reading the coverage (that is what led to Watkins TD).

Hard to keep in mind that this is Goff's first year in this system; and he just celebrated his 23rd B-day.

He looks focused, relaxed, and in charge.

Gone is the bust label; instead he's getting kudos as, at worst, a solid starting NFL QB, and at best as one of the better NFL starting QBs. Not predicting stardom for him. Not saying he might not ever be a star QB. But I am predicting that he's going to get better and better for the next few years and he's going to be a very consistent QB playing at a high level game after game. The kind that has the ability to consistently take the team to the playoffs.

But here's where he needs to work in the off season; he needs tutoring in how to throw accurately on the run. He's not terrible; but he's not very good, either. He could be so much better because he is a good athlete. I don't know how to do it; but I'm certain there must be technique involved and since he's a good learner, he should be able to be taught. That would elevate his game to another level.

What I see is him starting to accelerate in the mental part of it. The game is slowing down, he's seeing the field better, and he is reacting more and thinking less. A long way to go, but dang....
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff's ability to take the classroom to the field is noticeable.

RockRam518November 07, 2017 03:49AM

Excellent post. Agree on all points.

max189November 07, 2017 04:08AM

Re: Goff's ability to take the classroom to the field is noticeable.

Classicalwit219November 07, 2017 05:48AM

Re: Goff's ability to work in "the pocket" is very noticeable.

oldschoolramfan278November 07, 2017 06:26AM

Re: One thing I'd like to see...

merlin174November 07, 2017 10:13AM

Great Post. IMO, he will eventually be.....

RAMbler160November 07, 2017 10:26AM

Re: Goff was fine in College throwing on run

BumRap120November 07, 2017 07:58PM

one thing

zn127November 07, 2017 09:21PM