Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's ridiculous that Ezekiel Elliott is again allowed to play this Sunday

November 03, 2017 06:18AM
It is absolutely hateful to me that the NFLPA keeps taking the NFL to Court over CBA issues, and some Judge somewhere keeps granting stays. As for the NFLPA this is the classic case of buyer's remorse. The NFLPA negotiated a CBA that clearly allows Goodell to be judge, jury, and executioner in exchange for (among other things) the players having the amount of time and contact they can have with the team and in practice sessions legislated and greatly limited. Now they want the Court system to invalidate Goodell's power or they want Judges to impose a system they like better. It's not that I'm for Goodell; I think he's the worst thing to happen to pro football in my lifetime. But the issue is that of the value of a contractual agreement made in good faith by two parties. Anything about "fairness" is childish and disingenuous.

I have no doubt that with what we see today with the Anthem protests along with the NFLPA's determination to keep searching until they find a Judge that will overturn parts of the CBA that they don't like, that the next CBA is going to be very difficult to achieve. In fact, I predict a long strike or lockout, very probably with a hugely negative effect on the NFL bottom line and popularity (or lack thereof) and fans deeply and bitterly divided over supporting the players or the owners. I can easily see the return of replacement players, and of many of the minimum salary NFL players reporting to work because the millionaire players have the ability to hold out "on principle". This will, of course, cause deep division among the players.

All this is, I'm afraid, is a reflection of where we are today in society. Judges are now in the business of making law or changing law to meet their personal definition of fairness; and a contract isn't worth the paper its written on. What matters is how good your lawyers are, how much money you have to litigate, and your ability to manipulate the judicial system to judge-shop and get an activist judge to side with your particular ideal and philosophy. And, of course, what at one time was honest disagreement on societal, moral and ethical issues has become bitter division in our society. It'll be no different when the matter of a new CBA comes around. Clearly at least some of the owners really do feel that the "inmates are running the prison"; they no doubt regret how much power they gave up and so have no intention of giving up any more power to the employees (and very likely back-tracking on liberal provisions of the previously negotiated CBA). And the employees want to approach this issue as though it's a combination of trying to abolish slavery and making the NFL a union-run enterprise. These owners are so rich and powerful and egotistical that they would probably rather close their doors than give in to such an approach. But I seriously doubt that very many players would give up their careers to make a point.

Gonna get uglier. And this Elliott issue is a microcosm of the situation and no matter how it turns out, it will not be forgotten.
Enjoy your NFL football for the next 3 years; after that the NFL's future is very cloudy.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

It's ridiculous that Ezekiel Elliott is again allowed to play this Sunday

RockRam857November 03, 2017 06:18AM

Money talks

Speedball89277November 03, 2017 07:15AM

Things change

NewMexicoRam265November 03, 2017 07:25AM

One of the NFL's worst years in history

Ram49332November 03, 2017 10:39AM

Re: One of the NFL's worst years in history

max360November 03, 2017 11:40AM

Re: One of the NFL's worst years in history

waterfield315November 03, 2017 01:14PM

Please define "violence"

RockRam253November 03, 2017 01:46PM

Re: For me

RamsFanSinceLA235November 03, 2017 02:26PM

Officiating. Not sure that it is any better/worse than in years past.

RockRam265November 03, 2017 02:40PM

Re: Please define "violence"

waterfield235November 03, 2017 02:33PM

Violence?

Classicalwit285November 05, 2017 11:33AM

Re: It's ridiculous that Ezekiel Elliott is again allowed to play this Sunday

bigjimram21255November 04, 2017 10:22PM

accusations

wv ram188November 05, 2017 02:21AM

That's the point; whether he did or did not has nothing to do with it

RockRam182November 05, 2017 03:01AM

ok

wv ram167November 05, 2017 04:33AM

I get your point, but respectfully "justice" plays no role in this

RockRam167November 05, 2017 04:57AM

Re: I get your point, but respectfully "justice" plays no role in this

Ramboni199November 05, 2017 05:42AM

Re: Protesting

BumRap184November 05, 2017 04:35AM

This is a good point to.....

Anonymous User170November 05, 2017 04:52AM

OK. Sorry didn't see this before my next reply. (nm)

RockRam154November 05, 2017 05:16AM

I don't think so; I think that's a Red Herring approach.

RockRam181November 05, 2017 05:15AM