Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Care To Define "Horrible"?

May 10, 2017 07:28AM
max
I think its clear that Goff has no excuses this year, unless the OL gives us a repeat performance from last year.

That aside, if Goff looks horrible again this year then the chances of him being any good go down dramatically. If he stinks it up then the Rams are gonna be in a big hole. They are gonna be stuck trying to salvage him for at least 3 years and that will run into the opening of the new stadium. If he's another Christian Ponder that will be a total catastrophe.

Practically speaking, this is it for Goff. And Snead.

Demoff ain't going nowhere.

Not looking to be confrontational here, but I would like to understand the metrics by which you're going to evaluate Goff.

IMO, based upon:

A) Goff's college background;
B ) My perception of the lack of coaching he received from last season's offensive staff;
C) The poor play of the 2016 OL; and,
D) The poor play of the 2016 WR's

Goff is essentially starting his rookie season over again (albeit with the benefit of 7 games under his belt). Based upon his background, I'm not surprised that he couldn't recognize defenses. And I'm not surprised that last year's OC and QB coach couldn't help him better with that. But I'm not ready to pin that on him.

So, I'm looking at Goff as this being his first year with a real offensive coaching staff (my perception) designed to initiate him into present day offenses and defenses. With that said, I fully understand that there will be growing pains that come along with that that I'm prepared to accept.

I recall a few years ago that I challenged another poster to define what a "good" year looked like, stat-wise, for the presumed starting Ram QB. There was a lot of hemming and hawing and the poster refused to put himself "out there" (perhaps concerned that the QB wouldn't meet his own expectations for "good" play and that other posters would try to critique him after the season). But that was never my point with him, nor is it for you.

I just would like to know what is a measurable "horrible" (your word) year for a QB in a similar situation to Goff's.

I'm going to try to answer the same question, but in a different way. I'm going to put out my expectations of what "good" play would look like from Goff in 2017 (not "great" or even "very good," but simply "good"winking smiley:

Games - 16
Pass Comp - 60%
TD's - 20
INT's - 12
FUM - 2

I'd be satisfied in getting this type of production out of Goff in his 2nd season. I suspect that Gurley would be the featured offensive weapon on the team and that Goff could "manage" things and limit mistakes (though, clearly, I anticipate there will be several). It would also show marked improvement by which he could build from heading into year 3.

What say you?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wyche: Les Snead Says Goff Now Understanding NFL Defenses Much Better

RamBill1009May 09, 2017 01:34PM

Steve Wyche: Snead Talks Up Rams TE’s

RamBill472May 09, 2017 04:34PM

Re: Wyche: Les Snead Says Goff Now Understanding NFL Defenses Much Better

joram399May 10, 2017 02:21AM

Re: Wyche: Les Snead Says Goff Now Understanding NFL Defenses Much Better

AlbaNY_Ram389May 10, 2017 03:00AM

Looks like

RFIP427May 10, 2017 03:40AM