Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

speculation (on my part)

March 30, 2017 04:03AM
leafnose
the comments on Todd Gurley are a bit revealing. he pointed to the footwork and movement; but no matter how you slice it......it was a bad year. Sean ends up pointing back to the rookie and essentially saying that they expect that that's the player they have, and Todd will return to being one of the better in the NFL
the coach is already very versed in avoiding over commenting on aspects of player evaluations. add the opening remarks on Higbee. they're still seeing how he fits.....ha no kidding !!

Mcvay on Gurley:

I think you still see a natural runner who’s got a great body, he has a natural feel for how to work edges on people. And I think that showed up in spurts last year. Clearly, what he did in his rookie year, I think it sets the expectations where this guy is going to be a great back year-in and year-out. And that’s what we feel, too. I think Todd’s motivated, challenged in the right way to respond and can have a bounce back year.

I mean I don't know what else you say about a back who is clearly talented and already shown he is, but had a bad year. What do you say about that? You repeat that he's talented and so on...you can't conjure 2016 yards for him he didn't get. So you talk about his raw physical talent and the scheme and commitment to the run (takes all 11, says McVay). If you believe it you add that the back is motivated "in the right way." I could be reading in, I don't know, but when I first read that, to me that one bit about motivation includes the fact that Gurley has to take care of some things on his own, off-season kind of stuff. Preparing himself.

A lot went wrong in 2016, some of it unique to 2016. I think Gurley was part of what went wrong (and a lot went wrong) and I think TG's contribution to all that was not having a dedicated off-season at a time when they were actually basically learning a new offense. I think that McV's remark about motivation addresses that--he's saying, right now, so far this year, he IS doing all the things that are in his control to do. Usually you don't want to hear that unless it's something that has to be monitored. You don't want to hear that a 1st round RB is "motivated" because you're supposed to ASSUME that. So maybe he did have a poor off-season in 2016 and McVay of course knows about it (because Snead and Demoff and coach Peete would know about it) and so he is directly addressing the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 04:04AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Sean McVay League Meeting Media Availability (3-29-17)

Shaky860March 29, 2017 12:07PM

Excellent Interview - his description of "his" players eliminates Josh Gordon types

stlramz291March 29, 2017 12:42PM

Re: Excellent Interview - his description of "his" players eliminates Josh Gordon types

leafnose217March 30, 2017 03:21AM

Re: Excellent Interview - his description of "his" players eliminates Josh Gordon types

stlramz169March 30, 2017 03:36AM

speculation (on my part)

zn179March 30, 2017 04:03AM

one source of motivation

LMU93199March 30, 2017 04:58AM

Re: one source of motivation

zn166March 30, 2017 05:01AM