Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Not likely to keep 9 DL.

August 17, 2016 08:44AM
dzrams
Rams43
RockRam
Going by his history with the Rams, I think what we'll see is:

DBs 10 Gaines, Hill, Roberson, Tru J, Joyner, Alexander, McDonald, Davis, Sensebaugh, ?
LBs 6 Forest, Hagen, Lynch, Akers, Ogletree, Barron
DLs 8 Longacre, Westbrooks, Sims, Hayes, Thomas, Brockers, Donald, Quinn

QBs 3 Goff, Keenum, Mannion
RBs 4 Gurley, Cunningham, Brown, Reynolds
TE's 3 Harkey, Higbee, Kendricks
WRs 6 Britt, Austin, Spruce, Cooper, Marquez, Smith
OL 10 GRob, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Havenstein, Williams, Reynolds, Wichman, Battle, Rhaney

STs 3 Hekker, GZ, McQuaid

Granted, if there is a player that is just too good not to keep, we could see some numbers shuffling.

Well...

In the spirit that we're all agreed that this is clearly premature and that this is just for a fun exercise, I will play.

And I'm gonna use candidate play vs Cowboys for any tiebreakers.

I have the following different takes...

DB. I would include Bryant at S. And Sensabaugh might be vulnerable at CB based on that Cowboy game. Probably not, but Hill, Washington, and Jordan have impressed more, IMO.

DL. Delete Thomas. Add Easley and Coples. Seau probably goes to PS.

RB. This is the end of the trail for Chase Reynolds, I'm afraid. Green makes it as our 4th RB and on ST.

TE. They might go with 4 here. Stoneburner? Hemingway to PS? I just dunno.

WR. Britt, Austin, Spruce, and Cooper look like locks. After that it's a tough, tough call. But based on the Cowboy game, I lean toward Williams and McRoberts. Tough cuts for Thomas and Marquez.

OL. This one is very, very difficult. Firstly, they may go with only 9, not 10. And Rhaney is out and Kush is in. If they go with only 9, Battle is probably going to PS.

I agree with all the rest.

Mind you, this could all be turned upside down by future camp reports and preseason game play. Particularly at OL, WR, TE, CB, and S.

But like I said, it's just a strictly fun exercise for right now.

DB - I agree with you on Bryant at S. I believe he is running with the 2nd unit. They signed Sensabaugh for $5 mil. + so there is no way he is cut. I hated his signing from the minute I heard about it but we are stuck with him for a few years.

RB - You may very well be right on this being the end for Chase Reynolds but I must point out that you have been predicting his demise for a few years now. Reynolds versus Green or Brown is a tough choice.

Something to consider that may be close to what Fisher is thinking. If they cut Reynolds, it’s more likely that Marquez isn’t cut and vice versa. Both of those guys were ST aces last year and given Fisher’s emphasis on STs, it’s very unlikely that both get cut at the same time.

I really believe we have to look deeper at other important criteria such as ST’s and blocking.

WR - Speaking of blocking and looking deeper, that’s another reason why I believe Quick will make the roster. He’s their best blocking WR by far. And he’s the one who made the tackle and forced fumble after Goff’s interception. Little things like that are important and will factor in.

OL – In the battle between Battle and Williams, do you recall from camp reports who is getting 1st team reps, 2nd team reps? I’m wondering who’s ahead on the depth chart and not sure both make it.

Excellent reply, dz. as usual.

This is a great discussion topic, huh?

First, let me say that I'm not dug in on any of my projections. Far too early for that. We're just spitballing here, okay?

But here are my responses...

You're probably right about Sensabaugh. Kinda said it myself. But that doesn't mean that he deserves to play ahead of some of the other candidates at CB. Neither of us are big fans, apparently.

Yeah, I've been predicting C Reynolds demise for a while now. Doesn't mean that I was wrong, though. Lol. I think that CR's play on ST has deteriorated from '14 in '15 and so far this year. And he is CLEARLY only a distant 5th on the RB pecking order. Someone else can and will step up to fill his ST role. I had had high hopes for Randolph in that regard.

If Quick makes the 6 WR's because of his blocking when not among the best 6 as a receiver, I think I will shoot myself. We had the worst WR corps in the league last year. To keep a Quick because of his blocking over a better man at getting open and making catches would just confirm my suspicions about Fisher's judgement on O matters. Now, if Quick earns the spot as a WR, then I'm perfectly fine with keeping him. But he's gotta earn his spot as a receiver, IMO. So far, he's not standing out, is he?

It's inconclusive about Battle vs Williams. Williams was in early, but Battle was held out due to some unknown injury. Williams over Battle is just my carryover based upon last year's pecking order. Not a very scientific methodology, is it? Lol.

Do you have any leanings toward our possible 4th TE?

Or LB, for that matter? I'm unconvinced about Ogletree at MLB, myself. At least so far. Hager? Lynch? Anybody?

Nice discussion, man.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Not likely to keep 9 DL.

RockRam1287August 16, 2016 02:12PM

Re: Not likely to keep 9 DL.

LMU93492August 16, 2016 02:22PM

10th OL... due to Saffold

Atlantic Ram440August 16, 2016 05:42PM

A question ...if you are rotational...

jemach389August 17, 2016 07:23PM

Re: Only 8 is highly unlikely

dzrams500August 16, 2016 03:01PM