Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bonsignore: What was learned from the Rams’ preseason opener

August 15, 2016 04:29AM
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

Game one of the Rams’ return to Los Angeles is officially in the books. And it was a mixed bag at the Coliseum Saturday night, to be sure.

As Jeff Fisher so aptly put after the Rams backups chased down the Cowboys in 28-24 victory: “We’ve got our work cut out. We’re not close to being regular season-ready.”

The good news is, the Rams still have three weeks to sort themselves out before their season opener against the San Francisco 49ers.

On the other hand, some of the red flags we saw Saturday night might take months to rectify rather than weeks.

That said, let’s take a look at the good and bad of a historical night in downtown L.A.:

IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A ROOKIE QB >> Jared Goff looked every bit the rookie quarterback he is before an injury to his non-throwing shoulder landed him on the bench after just two series. His offensive line didn’t help matters by exposing him to a pair of vicious hits — one on the interception he threw in the second quarter — and in doing so raised a valid concern.

Goff isn’t a runner — nor is he stout despite his 6-foot-5 length — and while his outstanding footwork enabled him to dance out of trouble in college, the NFL ain’t the Pac-12.

If the Rams can’t provide even average protection for Goff at this stage — and their offensive line has been a major concern for years now — he’s liable to take a pounding. And that could sabotage his rookie year.

As Goff progresses at the NFL level and makes the kind of quick decisions and throws he was known for at Cal, he can help mitigate offensive line issues. But the split-second indecision he shows at this point will play poorly if his blockers can’t buy him that extra second of time.

SPRUCE MAKING A PUSH >> Nelson Spruce is the all-time leading pass catcher in Pac-12 history. Let that dance around your head a bit before remembering he went undrafted last April.

Done laughing?

Or cringing?

Me too.

Whatever NFL scouts penalized Spruce for in measurables, he makes up for in intangibles. Like impeccable footwork off the line of scrimmage, which buys him back the split-second he lacks in prototypical wide receiver speed. Spruce’s footwork enables him to get past faster defenders off the line of scrimmage, which means he’s a step ahead of them from the get go. That’s critical at this stage. Throw in his precision route running and sure hands, and all of a sudden it doesn’t matter that he doesn’t run a world-class 40-yard dash. The point is to get open and catch the ball, and Spruce has been doing that all during camp and continued to do so on Saturday.

STARTING WIDE RECEIVERS WERE NO-SHOWS >> The Rams have had issues for years at wide receiver, and aside from Tavon Austin, who is a screen, slant, running weapon that, when utilized correctly, can be an asset, none of their starting wideouts have stood out in camp or against the Cowboys.

Kenny Britt and Brian Quick have had ample time to prove they are worthy of starting jobs and spots on the roster, but by now it’s painfully obvious they are keeping their positions by default. Neither was a big factor on Saturday, and while playing time had a bit to do with that, it’s hard to believe either will turn a new leaf at this point.

SECONDARY HAD ISSUES >> Preseason perspective is understanding that defensive game-planning is nonexistent and schemes and coverages are locked tightly in playbooks for obvious reasons.

That said, Rams cornerbacks Coty Sensabaugh and Lamarcus Joyner were badly outplayed in one-on-one, go-get-the-ball battles with Cowboys receivers Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams.

It was a case of physics.

The Cowboys 6-foot-2 wide outs had an obvious advantage over the 5-11 Sensabaugh and the 5-8 Joyner.

That could be an issue moving forward.

Sensabaugh and Joyner have been getting the bulk of the first-team reps as replacements for Janoris Jenkins, who left for the Giants via free agency. E.J. Gaines is also in the mix, but has been banged up and limited in camp so far.

Joyner seems better suited in the slot, where his 5-8 stature won’t be as apparent, as that position is more about matching up against quickness than big wideouts. Sensabaugh is an experienced veteran, but the Rams didn’t necessarily sign him to take over a starting cornerback spot.

They need Gaines to get back as soon as possible.

The Rams gambled a bit by letting Jenkins walk. It’s only one preseason game — and a slew of vanilla coverages — but his absence was felt.

HIGBEE IS A KEEPER >> Tyler Higbee has been one of the stars of training camp, and he absolutely transferred his practice field success to an actual game.

At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds and blessed with adequate speed and athletic ability, the fourth-round rookie tight end from Western Kentucky has been a nightmare to defend for Rams linebackers and defensive backs.

It was no different against the Cowboys.

Higbee is strong enough to get off the line of scrimmage, fast enough to beat linebackers in coverage and big enough to block out linebackers and defensive backs on jump balls.

If he stays healthy, he’s got a chance to be a big-time rookie contributor.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill1011August 15, 2016 04:29AM

True all true, so what?

GreatRamNTheSky529August 15, 2016 04:57AM

Re: preseason for Vinny too?

Speed_Kills482August 15, 2016 05:01AM

I like Vinny, he's a nice guy...

max661August 15, 2016 05:37AM

LA Football writers over the years

GreatRamNTheSky460August 15, 2016 06:00AM

Stop, you're making me cry...

max567August 15, 2016 07:39AM

the Times was obviously the king of the hill in SoCal.......

21Dog428August 15, 2016 08:39AM

I think that alone is noteable

9er8er477August 15, 2016 07:25AM

Way too critical

RockRam465August 15, 2016 07:29AM

Keep in mind...

max692August 15, 2016 07:41AM

except

ferragamo79410August 15, 2016 07:46AM

Goff's ability to escape... I'm asking myself questions..

JamesJM450August 15, 2016 08:16AM

Re: Goff's ability to escape... I'm asking myself questions..

SoCalRAMatic396August 15, 2016 08:45AM

That was my fault, SoCal...

JamesJM379August 15, 2016 10:54AM

IMO

zn432August 15, 2016 08:54AM

Re: Goff's ability to escape... I'm asking myself questions..

9er8er548August 15, 2016 09:06AM

Yeah, I should have phrased it that way. (nm)

JamesJM421August 15, 2016 09:37AM

A word about our WR corps...

Rams43431August 15, 2016 08:37AM

Re: I get your point but...

dzrams435August 15, 2016 09:02AM

Re: I get your point but...

Rams43396August 15, 2016 10:08AM