Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Von Miller explains how he plays defense — offensively

September 03, 2022 12:13PM
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com] Von Miller explains how he plays defense — offensively
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2022, 3:34 PM EDT
Denver Broncos v Buffalo Bills
Getty Images
Pass rusher Von Miller‘s first game as a member of the Bills will take him back to the place where he won a Super Bowl as a member of the Rams. In advance of the official launch of his tenure with a third NFL team, Miller spoke at length to Katherine Fitzgerald of the Buffalo News regarding his approach to playing defense.

He does so with an offensive mindset.

“I honestly feel like I’m on offense,” Miller told Fitzgerald. “I feel like I’m on offense whenever I’m rushing, and the offensive lineman is on defense. He’s trying to stop me from getting to the quarterback. The quarterback is my touchdown.”

To make that happen, Miller uses a wide variety of pathways and approaches.

“There’s all different ways that I can get there,” Miller said. “And he’s trying to stop me. I’m not trying to stop him, even though I’m on defense. And I’m just trying to do whatever it takes — spin, dip, rip, bullrush, shock and shed, power — whatever it takes to get there. . . . I’m attacking every single play. Even though I’m on defense, I’m not in a defensive mindset or a defensive position. I’m not sitting back waiting and reacting to them. They’re sitting back waiting and reacting to me.”

Miller knows that, eventually, he’ll get what he’s after.

“They can stop me — out of 60 plays, they can stop me 55 times,” Miller said, “And those five [other] plays, I could get sacks on all five of those plays, and it could be one of my best games. . . . I got all game to get to the quarterback. And they got all game to stop me. And if I get there, I win.”

The problem is that Miller may not be getting 60 plays in every game. Peter King explained in his Football Morning in America column that included a visit to the Bills that coach Sean McDermott may be inclined to rest Miller in certain games, with the goal of keeping him fresh as deep into the season as possible. Miller surely won’t be thrilled if he’s not on the field if/when the Bills build a healthy lead and the opponent starts throwing the ball more often.

After all, that’s the best time for every defense to pin their proverbial ears back and fully go on the attack.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Von Miller explains how he plays defense — offensively

BerendsenRam317September 03, 2022 12:13PM

This guy is so off the wall.....

roman18181September 03, 2022 01:46PM

Re: This guy is so off the wall.....

Rampage2K-188September 03, 2022 02:05PM

I get three sacks

ferragamo79142September 03, 2022 02:06PM

Re: I get three sacks

mtramfan158September 03, 2022 06:46PM

Re: I get three sacks

The_Zone95September 03, 2022 07:48PM

He can handle Miller IMO.....

roman18154September 04, 2022 03:03AM

much more than the three sacks

21Dog85September 04, 2022 05:43AM

Well, Hollins isn't in his realm......

roman18135September 04, 2022 07:30AM

Re: Well, Hollins isn't in his realm......

AlbaNY_Ram91September 04, 2022 08:51AM

Ramstien119September 05, 2022 11:41AM

BerendsenRam79September 05, 2022 09:01AM