Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford 'disappointed' it didn't pan out with DeSean Jackson

November 04, 2021 09:42AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Skyler Carlin
November 4, 2021 7:01 am PT
Sometimes, certain things are too good to be true. The idea of DeSean Jackson joining an offense that featured an aggressive-minded quarterback like Matthew Stafford seemed to be a match made in heaven.

Contrary to that thought, Jackson never took off in the offense, prompting him to question his role in L.A. He and the Rams mutually agreed to seek a trade partner, but after no suitors emerged, the team waived him.

Following Jackson’s release from the Rams, Stafford shared his disappointment in not being able to make things work with the speedy wideout.

“It’s disappointing that it didn’t work out. I’ve got a ton of respect for DeSean and how talented he is as a player. I reached out to him afterwards and just said, ‘Man, it was fun playing with one of the all-time great deep threats.’ Being able to connect with him on a long one against Tampa was cool,” Stafford said. “It didn’t work out for whatever reason and I just know that I trust our front office and our coaching staff to put us in the best position to try to succeed. That’s what they’re always trying to do is figure out what’s best for this team. And that’s what they felt was best and we move on. We go from there. We’ve got a great group of guys. I’m ready to play and excited about what’s coming next.”

When Jackson signed with the Rams in free agency, it was assumed that he’d become a valuable vertical threat in the passing attack. However, the emergence of Van Jefferson, along with the presence of Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods, prevented Jackson from excelling in Los Angeles.

In seven games with the Rams, Jackson never saw more than 32% of the offensive snaps in a single game, with one of his lone highlights being a 75-yard touchdown reception from Stafford in Week 3 versus the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He would also haul in a 68-yard pass from Stafford in Week 5 against the Seattle Seahawks.

Stafford is going to be just fine moving forward following the release of Jackson, especially since he still has a trio of wideouts that includes Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson. That being said, it’s apparent Stafford was hopeful Jackson would end up being a reliable deep threat in his first season in Los Angeles.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam333November 04, 2021 09:42AM

Huge Stafford Fan but

Stafford9221November 04, 2021 09:48AM

Re: Huge Stafford Fan but

Tony Romas188November 04, 2021 09:52AM

Maybe so but just how weak and fragile is DJ's ego??

Ramgator128November 04, 2021 09:57AM

Re: Maybe so but just how weak and fragile is DJ's ego??

moklerman109November 04, 2021 11:48AM

So this is Stafford's fault?

promomasterj149November 04, 2021 10:55AM

AlbaNY_Ram173November 04, 2021 11:01AM

The_Zone113November 04, 2021 01:20PM

Jackson got exactly as much work as he deserved

LMU93143November 05, 2021 02:51AM

If I had to guess

303068November 05, 2021 04:05AM