Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

53-man roster projection 1.0 post-draft edition...

May 08, 2021 06:31PM
Rams 53-man roster projection 1.0 – Post draft edition

By Blaine Grisak of DowntownRams

The NFL Draft and free agency is over. Now that we know that information and prediction who will make the Los Angeles Rams’ final roster.

Los Angeles Rams
Web Hosting
With the NFL Draft officially over for the Los Angeles Rams, it’s going to be interesting how the rest of the offseason pans out.The bulk of the Rams’ offseason maneuvers are done. All that’s left is some minor tinkering that’ll take place throughout training camp as the club gets a look at players and players become unavailable.

Now that we know the Rams’ draft picks, we can use them in our first 53-man roster projection of the offseason. Rookies will be noted in italics.

Quarterback (2)

Matthew Stafford
John Wolford

It might be surprising to see the Rams keeping just two quarterbacks, but the Rams simply don’t have the roster space to keep three.

Running Back (4)

Cam Akers
Darrell Henderson
Xavier Jones
Jake Funk

The Rams have a good 1-2 punch with Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson. Jones could provide a change of pace and bring some good depth behind them while Funk adds special teams value. It will be interesting to see if Akers takes more of a command of the backfield in year two or if the Rams continue a fairly even split. Funk and Calais each bring special teams value, but I’ll give the edge to the draft pick.

Tight End (4)

Tyler Higbee
Brycen Hopkins
Johnny Mundt
Jacob Harris

Four tight ends might seem like a lot, but its the same number that the Rams kept last season. The Rams won’t be able to cut Harris and put him on the practice squad as he was such a high selection. Higbee and Hopkins will be the top two players in this group with Mundt adding some good depth.

Wide Receiver (6)

Robert Woods
Cooper Kupp
Van Jefferson
Desean Jackson
TuTu Atwell
Ben Skowronek

It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rams keep seven wide receivers, but six seems like a good number. The Rams could also keep a player or two on the practice squad. The battle for the last wide receiver spot will be one to keep an eye on this offseason.

Offensive Line (9)

Andrew Whitworth
Rob Havenstein
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Joseph Noteboom
Austin Corbett
Tremayne Anchrum
Brian Allen
Jordan Meredith

Offensive line is where things get interesting because the Rams actually have a lot of depth here. There might be one or two open spots

Defensive Line (6)

Aaron Donald
A’Shawn Robinson
Sebastian Joseph-Day
Greg Gaines
Marquise Copeland
Bobby Brown III

The defensive line looks very good for the Rams. The sixth spot will be a battle between guys like Eric Banks and Marquise Copeland, but the top three are pretty much set in stone with Bobby Brown rotating in as a rookie.

EDGE (5)

Leonard Floyd
Terrell Lewis
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Earnest Brown IV
Justin Hollins

Edge is another spot that the Rams are very thin at. Leonard Floyd provides stability on one side, but Lewis, Okoronkwo, and others will rotate opposite of him. Brown IV will play in Morgan Fox’s old role and Justin Hollins also provides some depth. As a draft pick, Chris Garrett might be a surprise cut, but I think the Rams put him on the practice squad and develop him in year one.

Linebacker (5)

Micah Kiser
Troy Reeder
Ernest Jones
Christian Rozeboom
Travin Howard

A surprising cut might be that of Kenny Young, but I think the Rams really like what they have out of Christian Rozeboom. Young hasn’t provided a lot and with the addition of Jones, he moves down to the fourth guy on the depth chart. Kiser and Reeder should be the top two guys to start the year with Jones working his way in.

Cornerback (4)

Jalen Ramsey
Darious Williams
Robert Rochell
David Long

Four might not seem like a big number for cornerbacks and that’s because it isn’t. However, the Rams don’t have a lot of depth here and they have safeties that can come down and play along the line of scrimmage such as Rapp and Burgess. Adding a fifth wouldn’t be a shock, but I’m going to roll with four.

Safety (5)

Jordan Fuller
Terrell Burgess
Taylor Rapp
Nick Scott
Jovan Grant

Special Teams (3)

Johnny Hekker
Matt Gay
Colin Holba

There should be a lot less of a competition this year at kicker. The one competition that will draw everyone’s attention is the one at long snapper. I’m going to flip a coin and say Colin Holba gets the gig. Holba has experience with DeCamillis in Jacksonville.

Practice Squad (8)

WR Jeremiah Haydel
EDGE Chris Garrett
CB Dont’e Deayon
T Alaric Jackson
QB Brycen Perkins
S Troy Warner
K Austin MacGinnis
DL Eric Banks
OT Max Pircher

I would guess that these eight players will be in consideration for the practice squad. The Rams can also look elsewhere to fill the remaining spots.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

53-man roster projection 1.0 post-draft edition...

Rams43709May 08, 2021 06:31PM

Two things...

Rams43286May 08, 2021 06:33PM

I keep thinking this

OzRam319May 08, 2021 07:45PM

Re: Two things...

bigjimram21475May 09, 2021 02:26AM

Re: still a 53 man roster, but ...

AlbaNY_Ram369May 09, 2021 04:25AM

Re: 53-man roster projection 1.0 post-draft edition...

BC Ramsfan278May 08, 2021 07:36PM

AlbaNY_Ram208May 09, 2021 04:29AM

Do the Rams need a short yardage RB?

ramzilla239May 08, 2021 08:12PM

den-the-coach208May 09, 2021 05:54AM

oldschoolramfan194May 09, 2021 05:57AM

that Young would be let go wouldn't surprise me

21Dog219May 09, 2021 06:03AM

Re: that Young would be let go wouldn't surprise me

merlin195May 09, 2021 09:36AM