Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What might be the owners' view of a lower cap?

February 08, 2021 02:33AM
Trying to put myself in the owners' seat, I'm not sure that I'm all that upset over a lower cap. It might reset the bar.... lower.... for expected players' salaries.

I suspect the NFLPA will want to add some temporary rules to ease things.... like only having a certain percentage of a team's FAs salary not going towards the cap if resigned by their current team.

But if I'm the owners, do I want that? Despite what they might say publicly I suspect not.

I just don't see how a lower cap won't restrict both player movement and FA salaries. And I suspect some vets who are still good players but are getting too much money for their services in this new cap environment are going to be cut loose. I think on the Rams that could well be Havenstein and Brockers.

I also really think that guys like Floyd could get fewer offers and less money than pre-Covid salary caps. Floyd is one of those guys who looks good when he has good guys around him.... like an AD. But can he be a guy who elevates a team's LB corp without a great player to play off of? His history says no. He's a complementary player and not a guy who can elevate those around him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 02:38AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What might be the owners' view of a lower cap?

RockRam249February 08, 2021 02:33AM

This is a helluva thread topic...

Rams43125February 08, 2021 08:42AM

Re: they probably don't care

AlbaNY_Ram108February 08, 2021 04:00PM