Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Here's my "Feeling Vindicated" explanation post. FWIW, lol.

September 11, 2017 07:41AM
I'm known on two boards as a bit of an optimist. Maybe too much of an optimist, lol. But I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Two areas that have frustrated me. One goes back for 2+ years, in fact.

I've been preaching for over 2 years that Fisher must go. No chance of substantial Ram improvement until he was replaced. So many had made excuse after excuse for him, though. Some involved tortured logic and mind bending rationalizations to explain his failures. And his increasingly downward win trajectory.

Well, this offseason has demonstrated what a difference a new HC can make. This first game is a dramatic example of a night and day contrast from last year. Fisher lost 28-0 to a pathetic Niner team on opening day last year while McVay wins 46-9 in his debut. And McVay started calling off the dogs in the mid 3rd quarter, tbh. New culture, new schemes, new players, and new attitude. I rest my case about the need to replace Fisher.

The other frustration was with the reluctance of so many pundits and posters alike that remained mired in the perceptions of continued Ram futility despite the many fundamental improvements being made over the course of the last 6 months. Like they just couldn't process all the positives on an almost daily basis!

I've been predicting a 10-6 record for months now. But so many pundits and posters couldn't see it at all. Lots of scoffs and snickers came my way. Don't get me wrong, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course. But it was frustrating to me to see what I considered so obvious yet so many others couldn't seem to acknowledge due to groupthink or inertia, I dunno.

The McVay hire
The Wade Phillips hire
The rapid hire of a quality asst coach group
Whit signing
Sully signing
Barwin signing
Webster signing
NRC signing
The reported development of Goff going back to OTA's
Drafting Everett
Drafting Kupp
Drafting Reynolds

Those top 3 draft picks further convinced me that this staff had a plan and "got it".

The continued positives from camp reporters and beat writers about how things were coming together.

It all just felt more and more "right" to me.

I was flabbergasted to read that at one time some pundit claimed that the Rams would not be favored in a single game! No, I'm not making that up.

Other so called "experts" were predicting wins in the 4-6 range. Others were saying that 7-8 wins would be a big accomplishment for McVay and the Rams. These were people making a living by making and writing these predictions!

And the predictions that the Rams would be lucky to finish 3rd in the NFC West! OMG! The Seahawks were a cinch to win and the Cards would lock up 2nd place and any possible Wild Card berth.

And yet, the Seahawks, Cards, and Niners all lost yesterday. And didn't look very good while losing, tbh. Why can't the Rams win this division? The Seahawks and Cards seem to be faltering, if you ask me. They're ripe for the taking, I say.

I know that it was the Colts (without Luck) that the Rams beat yesterday. I definitely get that. And I'm certainly not predicting 16-0 or a SB for this year. But Dang! Is 10-6 the Impossible Dream? I sure don't think so.

Here's what I foresee over the next 5-6 games...

Kromer will have his OL on the right side gelling and becoming at least an average run blocking unit.
Pass blocking will get even better.
Goff will steadily improve each week.
Gurley become a force in both the run and passing game.
Watkins will go from a threat to a beast demanding double coverage.
Kupp will become virtually uncoverable.
Reynolds will get more and more snaps at Woods' expense.
Everett will have become the starter ahead of Higbee, but both will be nightmares to contain.
Wade will have his D humming like a Rolls Royce engine. Top 5 D.
Quinn and AD will keep opposing OC's up at night the week before.
Rams record will be 3-3, or more likely 4-2 by game 6.

IOW, the pieces are already in place. Coaches, players, schemes, culture, etc. Just gotta fine tune everything as we move forward.

So 10-6? Yeah, that seems doable from where I sit. Very doable, tbh.

And it does feel good to see my assumptions and predictions unfolding right before my eyes.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to disparage any particular poster, pundit, or beat writer. So please, nobody should take it in that manner.

This post was intended to get some frustration off my chest and make me feel good this morning. As such, I can truly say, Mission Accomplished. Lol.

So there.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Here's my "Feeling Vindicated" explanation post. FWIW, lol.

Rams43998September 11, 2017 07:41AM

Good post, one minor correction.

Saguaro444September 11, 2017 07:46AM

Good for you 43...

Guard534September 11, 2017 07:51AM

Re: Good for you 43...

Rams43301September 11, 2017 07:55AM

Re: Good for you 43...

Arkansas Ram268September 11, 2017 08:26AM

Take a Victory Lap Baby!!!

Ramadune328September 11, 2017 08:07AM

Re: Here's my "Feeling Vindicated" explanation post. FWIW, lol.

L.A.Rams278September 11, 2017 08:11AM

Steve227September 12, 2017 08:29AM

Rams43352September 12, 2017 08:50AM

agree on all but Williams

L.A.Rams221September 12, 2017 08:54AM

Re: agree on all but Williams

Steve227September 12, 2017 10:22AM

Feelings are one thing. Actual vindication is 10 wins, right? :)

Saguaro526September 11, 2017 08:17AM

Well....Vegas changed their mind. Rams 2 1/2 pt favorite

chunkmeister292September 12, 2017 05:43AM

Re: Well....Vegas changed their mind. Rams 2 1/2 pt favorite

Steve236September 12, 2017 10:51AM

David Deacon263September 12, 2017 06:01AM

Rams43270September 12, 2017 06:05AM

Jim Long234September 12, 2017 08:23AM

Rams43208September 12, 2017 08:54AM

IowaRam272September 12, 2017 08:32AM

bigjimram21198September 12, 2017 10:37AM

One major and one minor disagreement 43.

guinnessram238September 12, 2017 11:05AM

Re: One major and one minor disagreement 43.

Rams43230September 12, 2017 11:32AM

It's been one game and years...

jemach378September 12, 2017 03:58PM

Coy Bacon232September 12, 2017 05:46PM