Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

There are lots of opinions--don't know who is "right"

April 07, 2024 02:55PM
Coy Bacon
If a guy can't produce good sack numbers in college will he be able to produce in the pros? Plus he's a junior coming out. If Chop didn't produce good sack numbers, given some of the weaker teams PS played, I doubt he'll produce at the pro level. Based on the evaluations below, I hope the Rams don't draft him. As the 3rd eval. says, Robinson is a crap shoot, he's very fast, but small and has an injury history. Surely the Rams can do better with a 1st rnd pick.

Here's some evaluations:

1) He might not have the elite length that other prospects possess, and he doesn’t have elite production, either. But on tape, his ability to disrupt the offense’s timing is nearly unmatched.

2) SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
(Note, this report said he only had 4 sacks this past season!)

Exhibits suboptimal length metrics, potentially compromising extension leverage and diminishing effective power transfer against pro-caliber linemen.
Shows occasional stiffness in lower-body kinematics, which could hinder multi-directional fluidity and limit rush counters at the apex.
Hand-fighting techniques sometimes lag in engagement timing, necessitating elevated refinement in initial combat contact and rush plan execution.
Needs to diversify his rush portfolio; reliance on primary speed and power elements can be neutralized by technically sound tackles with superior reach.
Displays a need for augmented functional strength at the point of attack, particularly evident when anchoring against the run in high-physicality matchups.

3) Concerns

Undersized with a relatively slight frame including narrow shoulders and hips and already has a history of injury.
Reliant upon his suddenness to beat blockers and can get taken for a ride when he mistimes the snap and they're able to latch on.
Gets into the backfield so quickly that he runs by as many plays as he makes.
Summary: Robinson explodes off the ball like he has springs in his shoes — a trait so appealing to NFL teams that an early first-round pick is possible. While the splash is undeniable, the lack of statistics are worrisome. In a position group full of boom-or-bust prospects, Robinson is the biggest lottery ticket of them all.

CHOP ROBINSON'S 2024 NFL COMBINE RESULTS
Height: 6'2 7/8"
Weight: 254 lbs
40-Time: 4.48
10-Yard Split: 1.54
Vertical: 35"
Broad Jump: 10'8"
3-Cone: DNP
Shuttle: 4.25

CHOP ROBINSON 2024 NFL DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT

STRENGTHS:
Desirable frame and length as edge pass rusher with sudden explosive movement traits and flexibility to bend.
Explosive off the ball as a pass rusher. Loose and fluid with athleticism and twitch to generate speed and velocity.
Ankle flexion and motorcycle lean to bend the arc. He, then, flattens his rush path and closes with burst to the quarterback.
Showed excellent lateral quickness as an edge pass rusher. Challenged pass set technique of OT in first two or three steps.
Flashed speed-to-power element as pass rusher. Strong hands and leg drive to power through contact with offensive tackle.
Showed explosive inside counter off the initial high-side rush. Got inside offensive tackles with burst and an effective swim move.
Great feel for attacking half a man as pass rusher from outside and inside. Forced OL to turn to the sideline.
Showed explosive, sudden twitch and power as an inside pass rusher, driving back interior linemen into the pocket.
Run game snaps in which he physically beat TE with strength and hand usage featuring club-arm over move.
Lined up inside the tight end and worked through traffic to make plays in the run game. Has balance and body control.
Showed some refinement and nuance as a run defender, turning his body and getting skinny to prevent blocks.
Outstanding playing personality. Played explosive and fast and relentless. High energy and highly competitive.

WEAKNESSES:
Needs to become a better finisher when he gets into the pocket. Left too many sacks on the field.
Will need to add some thickness and weight to his frame as he matures physically and develops as a player.
2023 – At this point, relies more on sudden, twitchy, athletic movement than a refined, subtle arsenal of moves.
Needs to develop a wider array of moves and counters to become a high-level pass rusher.
There will be questions re: ability to play with strength and power as a run defender and edge pass rusher.
Will lack of length be seen as an issue as teams project and transition him to the next level?

NFL TRANSITION:
Robinson is one of the most fascinating prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft, given his sudden, explosive athleticism off the edge could be the best in the class. Yet, his production (sacks) is below the level you would expect to see. Remember, Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in his college career.

Robinson possesses elite athleticism with the kind of twitch you do not often see from edge pass rushers in college football. While his athleticism did not result in a high sack total, there were many examples where his explosive burst off the ball, speed and bend off the edge overwhelmed the offensive tackle.

Robinson is by no means a finished product and needs to learn the craft of working an OT and stringing together moves and counters. However, his lightning quickness off the ball, combined with his motorcycle lean, balance and body control to flatten his rush path and close with an extra gear to the quarterback, makes him the best in this draft class. He can make an immediate impact as an edge pass rusher in his first NFL season.

Is there a Micah Parsons comparison to be made given that no one knew Parsons was the level of pass rusher he would become with the Cowboys? A strong comparison and somewhat inexact, but the bottom line is Robinson is the most explosive edge pass rusher in the class.

OTHER NOTES:
Robinson began his college career at Maryland as a 4-star recruit and top 50 prospect nationally then transferred to Penn State after one season.

In 2022, there were third-down snaps when Robinson lined up inside at 3-technique and 4i and rushed the QB vs. guards. Robinson played significant snaps in a four-point stance, which he will not do in the NFL.

There were snaps in which Robinson dropped into coverage, playing predominantly underneath zone, but also some snaps he peeled as a man defender.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Does sack production matter for this Rams target at edge rusher?

BerendsenRam356April 06, 2024 09:16AM

If sack production doesn't matter than just get a safer edge rusher

Ram_Ruler88April 06, 2024 10:06AM

Re: If sack production doesn't matter than just get a safer edge rusher

BerendsenRam66April 06, 2024 11:54AM

Sacks IMO generate $'s.......

roman1877April 07, 2024 05:05AM

Well said Roman

BerendsenRam46April 07, 2024 07:32AM

Also, guys with the most sacks usally produce the most pressures

JimYoungblood5361April 07, 2024 09:12AM

Re: Robinson = Daniel Hardy 2.0?

mtramfan65April 07, 2024 10:53AM

DOn't know, to me, it's hard to know what will happen

JimYoungblood5355April 07, 2024 11:29AM

Re: Robinson = Daniel Hardy 2.0?

Classicalwit41April 07, 2024 02:13PM

Re: Hardy = late draft cult hero?

mtramfan25April 10, 2024 09:17PM

Re: Also, guys with the most sacks usally produce the most pressures

BerendsenRam41April 10, 2024 08:08AM

I'll be happy if we can just wreak havoc. I liked the 2001 Rams D.

Ramgator52April 07, 2024 11:15AM

Re: I'll be happy if we can just wreak havoc. I liked the 2001 Rams D.

BerendsenRam54April 08, 2024 12:39PM

Yes they matter

Coy Bacon55April 07, 2024 01:31PM

There are lots of opinions--don't know who is "right"

JimYoungblood5348April 07, 2024 02:55PM

Re: There are lots of opinions--don't know who is "right"

Coy Bacon45April 07, 2024 04:30PM

Re:In response to you both, JY53 and Coy

mtramfan23April 10, 2024 09:40PM

Thanks for posting that Coy Bacon !

BerendsenRam37April 08, 2024 02:41PM

I like the Matt Bowen comment and video clip on Chop

Rams Junkie27April 10, 2024 02:21PM

I get the negative comments but he looks super athletic

JimYoungblood5320April 10, 2024 03:31PM

Having an Edge on each side who both run 4.4 is appealing

Rams Junkie32April 10, 2024 04:50PM

I get it

JimYoungblood5327April 10, 2024 05:29PM

Verse has speed, reach and productivity

Rams Junkie27April 10, 2024 08:07PM

Lots of vairence -- and I have no idea what any of them can do in an NFL system Attachments

JimYoungblood5324April 10, 2024 08:45PM

Sack Production is only part of the story

1st Rounder60April 07, 2024 02:43PM

He also avergaed 9 sacks and a few FF a year

JimYoungblood5350April 08, 2024 02:55PM

Re: He also avergaed 9 sacks and a few FF a year

1st Rounder48April 08, 2024 04:03PM

Re: He also avergaed 9 sacks and a few FF a year

JimYoungblood5343April 08, 2024 04:44PM