Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Unbelievable. I think there ought to be rules about raiding teams' coaching staffs

March 27, 2024 10:58AM
I agree. I would like to see additional draft compensation to teams that have coaches move from one team to another even if it's for a promotion.
The idea that there's only compensation for minority coaching hires seems off.

How about if one team poaches a coach, that's still under contract, from another team...
- Lateral move/title - 7th round pick
- Equal move/title - 6th round pick
- Improved move/title (Non-Coordinator or Head Coach) - 5th round pick
- Improved move/title (Coordinator to HC) - 4th round pick
- Improved move/title (Minority Coordinator to HC) - 3rd round pick.
- HC to HC - However they negotiate compensation.

Not sure how often the lateral or equal moves would take place unless there's someone that thinks the opportunity to move up the coaching ranks is better one one team than another.

These draft hits on the teams taking coaches from another team are not huge, but enough to make them consider thing a bit more than how things are now.

While we are at it, why don't we establish set pay rates for all positions with bonuses based upon performance.
Ex:
Rookie - Year 3 QB - $5M annual base Salary fully guaranteed + $350K per TD pass + 2.5M for 2500 passing yards + $500K for 3000 passing yards and so on in 500 yard/$500K increments.

Year 4 to Year 7 QB - $10M annual base salary fully guranteed with the same incentives/bonuses.

Year 7+ QB - $10M annual base salary fully guranteed - Incentives get raised higher. This way, career back up QBs remain affordable but get rewarded if they have to play and put up some decent numbers. Plus, if your starter goes down, then his incentive/bonus pay goes down and this helps to pay the potentially higher cost of the back-up QB.

I know this would make the salary cap difficult to deal with. But I'd love to see guys rewarded for how they play in the NFL and not what they did in college or what round they were drafted in. You could even set incentives at increasing amounts per TD pass. Like $400K for each TD pass 40-49 and $500K for each TD pass 50-59 and so on. This way, you could at least set a reasonable "max" of base salary plus bonus/incentive pay on each position which would allow there to be a cap. The max would have to be pretty much out of reach for any position in order for that to work.

It would need some adjustments from folks far smarter than I am. But, I LOVE this concept. I bet the owners would too. But... good luck getting the NFLPA to bit (LOL).
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Mike LaFleur can be second OC to complete consecutive seasons under McVay

BerendsenRam165March 26, 2024 02:32PM

Unbelievable. I think there ought to be rules about raiding teams' coaching staffs

RockRam52March 27, 2024 01:53AM

Yesterday watching NFL Network Arthur Blank basically joked that Raheem brought half the Rams Staff with Him

BerendsenRam41March 27, 2024 07:47AM

Re: Unbelievable. I think there ought to be rules about raiding teams' coaching staffs

PSJRam46March 27, 2024 10:58AM

Excellent Post Thanks Brother !

BerendsenRam25March 27, 2024 03:30PM