Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How I would approach the 2024 Draft

March 21, 2024 10:43AM
Let me start by saying I'm happy to be back. I lost my P/W and finally decided to reach out to the admin. Thanks Guys!

I think that unless one of the top 3 EDGE guys (Verse, Turner of Latu) or one of the top 3 (Harrison Jr., Nabors, Odunze/Thomas - I consider the last 2 guys 3A & 2B but would prefer what Thomas has to offer.) that the Rams need to look to trade back but not too far (late 1st or early 2nd) and add another pick somewhere in the 40-60 overall range. If they don't find a partner for that, then take the best NON OL player that they have on their board regardless of position. They may not pick as high as 19 again for a few years without having to sacrifice a lot of future draft capital or talent already on the team. If they end up trading back 8-10 slots and S/CB Cooper DeJean is there, I'd grab him up without a commitment to a position and figure out if the team needs him to be a S or a CB based upon what they learn from camp. I believe he would be a big upgrade at either position.

I do think with the loss of AD, the Rams HAVE TO GET ANOTHER GUY THAT'S GOING TO FORCE DOUBLE TEAMS. I know that Kobie was double teamed on a higher percentage of snaps last year than AD was. But, Kobie is not (yet) AD and there's got to be another guy to takes up 2 OL or 1 OL and a TE on a regular basis. The only guy I KNOW THAT WILL DO THAT IS T'Vondre Sweat (DT Texas). The NFL Combine has him at 6’ 4 1/2’’ / 366 lbs with a 40-Yard Dash at 5.27
Seconds and a 10-Yard Split 1.8 seconds. He is already excellent against the run and everything I read says he's building on his pass rush. Plus, even at his size, he's in good enough shape to play more downs than you'd expect from a human being of this size. Even if we do land 1 of the top 3 Edge guys with pick 19, I'd consider trading up from pick 52 to the pick 42-45 range to add him to the team.

Everyone is in agreement that you aren't going to replace AD with 1 guy. But, with 2 more sacks each next year from Turner, Young and BB III, then a couple sacks from a new player or 2 and everyone else simply matching what they did last year (I would expect Hoecht to see fewer snaps next year and thus fewer sacks for him), you haven't replaced the man or the aura of AD but you've likely replaced the numbers. In order to do this, getting another guy that requires being double-teamed on pretty much every snap is going to be needed.

After the 1st, 2 picks, I'm looking for a WR (who can take the top off and isn't 5'-2" tall. I love Roman Wilson in the 62-72 area OR a LB in the same general area of the draft who is gifted in both coverage and blitzing skills (Love me some Payton Wilson but concerned about all of his previous injuries) OR even reaching a little bit to grab SAFETY Cole Bishop. (if they don't grab DeJean early). Bishop can play in the box or as a high safety and his size, IQ and physical talens would allow the Rams to move him all over the field. I would also like to see a ground and pound heavier RB added to the mix but just not sure McVay is ever going to make that a priority. You'd think he would have learned by know after some of these guys coming in and bailing the team out over the past few years.

After this point in the draf, I'm looking for the BPA in positions that I mentioned above, with the best remaining skills set that I mentioned above. I'm also grabbing a kicker with one of the early picks in the 200's. I don't want to see the Rams having to compete for FA Kickers this year. Pick the kid you want and draft him. Then, live or die with him for the season unless he gets hurt.

There are some late guys that I would really like to see the Rams look at. Names and draft slots, based upon Pro Football Network's site are provided below:

EDGE:
- Marshawn Kneeland - 72
- Jalyx Hunt - 116
- Mohamed Kamara - 188
- Sundiata Anderson - 233

LB
- Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - 88
- Edefuan Ulofoshio - 202
- Omar Speights - 221

CB
- Kris Abrams-Draine -85
- Mike Sainristil - 98
- Jarrian Jones - 179

S
- Calen Bullock - 92 (I'd at least consider him at CB, too)
- Dadrion Taylor-Demerson - 114
- Sione Vaki - 205 (I'd make this kid my returner, train him some between S & RB and know that you have 1 guy that can at least fill in for 3 roles with a single roster spot)

RB
- Audric Estime - 106
- Ray Davis - 126
- MarShawn Lloyd - 128
- Isaiah Davis - 145
- Dillon Johnson - 253

WR
- Ricky Pearsall - 75
- Jermaine Burton - 105
- Brenden Rice - 131
- Luke McCaffrey - 154

OT
- Delmar Glaze - 108
- Garret Greenfield - 170
- Frank Crum - 256

FYI... I love Braden Fiske (DT) because I think he could play DT and some Edge. But, I don't see him commanding enough double-teams from the jump like Sweat will. But, if Sweat is gone and Fiske is available, I'd jump on that even with a small move up to do it.

Would love some feedback on my thought process. I don't care if you agree or disagree. I love hearing the various veiwpoints and sometimes things can be shared that I didn't think of that will change my way of thinking.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How I would approach the 2024 Draft

PSJRam177March 21, 2024 10:43AM

Re: How I would approach the 2024 Draft

dodgerram47March 21, 2024 11:43AM

Like the approach. Well thought out.

RockRam46March 21, 2024 12:12PM