Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Go after Dline help?

March 18, 2024 06:39AM
RockRam
Did you ever watch Moneyball? I think there are lessons there about how you replace a great player.

First, you won't ever replace AD. Rather, you have to find a way in the aggregate to replace his stats. QB pressures, sacks, TFLs, etc. There is no single player other than someone like Jones or Wilkins that could even come close, and they won't...by themselves... replace those stats or have the AD effect. So, the Rams weren't about to commit to near $30mil per year salaries to one guy in a vain attempt to "replace" AD. Very smart.

Second, they will likely feature Koby Turner and build around him. Perhaps they move Hoecht back inside, or move him inside and outside. They had a couple of rookies last year that did some good things. And I imagine as early as the 3rd round they will take a DT that likely most fans aren't familiar with.

And, roster building is hardly over. In addition to the draft, FA isn't over, and then come post June cuts that will put some good DTs on the market. If the Rams pick up another starting CB in FA (and I think it's 50/50 that they will) then you will see them focus on Edge, DT, and WR in the draft, fairly early.

So, lots of moving pieces.

I wrote "d-line help" . Never did I say you can REPLACE Donald 1:1.
D-line help could have been a DE or a DT . There were some interesting guys available besides Wilkins and Jones.

What is now left in free agency does not look too enticing. Maybe Clowney or Young , but after that pickings get slim.
Rams have put all their eggs in the draft as far as help on the d-line is concerned.IMHO a risky approach.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay reveals how and when AD told him he was retiring…

Rams43218March 18, 2024 05:36AM

Is it Odd, That I am actually Relieved.

den-the-coach100March 18, 2024 05:46AM

Re: Is it Odd, That I am actually Relieved.

AlbaNY_Ram63March 18, 2024 06:41AM

Makes it even more surprising the Rams did not go after DL help in FA

dodgerram98March 18, 2024 05:51AM

Go after Dline help?

RockRam76March 18, 2024 06:31AM

Re: Go after Dline help?

dodgerram48March 18, 2024 06:39AM

Didn't mean that as a criticism.

RockRam45March 18, 2024 06:47AM

Re: Didn't mean that as a criticism.

dodgerram42March 18, 2024 06:54AM

Re: Here's my take dodger.....

oldschoolramfan62March 18, 2024 06:37AM

Good take. Rams D secondary much improved through FA.

RockRam41March 18, 2024 06:53AM