Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merlin with a nice post on draft priorities…

January 16, 2024 01:47PM
Here’s Merlin…

I'm just trying to project what McVay is going to want, which I presume is explosive talent added to this WR group. Because if you go player by player we lack that. We have a top gameplanner in McVay and a top QB in Stafford so they can get by with less than some other HC/QB combos and get good production. But that doesn't mean it's going to be enough for McVay.

And it's the same thing on defense. Limiting explosives is coverage/rush combination. And their needs on that side of the ball are longer than just that. So to put this in order for the team priority I'd go something like this...

1. Edge/Corner. Simply because we are so bad that improving this gives us the biggest gains for the team. Covers explosives limitation for the defense. We lack tackling and coverage at corner. We lack speed and rush threat off the edge.

2. WR (X). With Kupp aging and the lack of speed in our wideout group this is a very big need. Explosives for the offense.

3. OL. Ensuring Stafford is protected is crucial. There is a lot of room for creativity in how they stack this group but if they get Dotson inked it ensures the "floor" is pretty damn good. LT has to fall in their lap in the draft I think for that to get done. Might have problems getting Jackson sorted, i.e. he might decide to hold out who knows. Might be they just ink Dotson and spend a 4th rounder on a C so this one is very hard to predict but they gotta ensure a certain level this time around. More the QB can hold the ball the more chances you get for those key gainers.

4. DL. Better rotation depth and another big body required. Gotta be able to hold up in the trenches in the playoffs.

5. Safety. Feels like we need at least one for the pairing. We lack guys who can tackle so a good safety could really bump this defense.

6. Kicker. Please God.

7. Backup RB. Better answer for if Williams goes down.

8. Punt returner. This would be made even better if we could get some lane production by return teams blocking to actually be able to catch and return one here and there too. But this problem is a bottom of the roster priority issue and we need a better ST coach IMO.

And so on.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Merlin with a nice post on draft priorities…

Rams43311January 16, 2024 01:47PM

after watching Lions' OL ...

SunTzu_vs_Camus131January 17, 2024 04:37AM

Re: after watching Lions' OL ...

Rams4382January 17, 2024 05:02AM

73Ram78January 17, 2024 05:25AM

since6867January 17, 2024 06:12AM

Smith's talent speaks for itself

21Dog65January 17, 2024 06:16AM

I AGREE WITH -- Merlin with a nice post on draft priorities…

nantucketramfan92January 17, 2024 05:49AM

Merlin is on it

Speed_Kills74January 17, 2024 06:04AM

Re: Shopping List and order of the stores

leafnose86January 17, 2024 07:46AM

agree with this general thought

LMU9357January 17, 2024 08:43AM