Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I gripe about the tackling by the Rams and so do others. But I have to wonder..

January 15, 2024 09:43AM
Rams have generally been middle of the pack in the NFL in terms of Missed Tackle stats.
Fans just over amplify things when they see a missed tackle.

Sort of like blitz rate. Rams had one of the highest blitz rates in the NFL during their Super Bowl Run.
Also last year as well. Rams are usually not below average in blitz rate under Morris.

Biggest anomaly in the stats this year is the Average Depth of Pass. Rams were "worst" in the league allowing the most average yards the ball travels in the air. Can be a factor of many things. Start with the scheme.. those who think Rams are all soft shell are just holding onto memories from the first games of last year. Then players, is it the line, the secondary etc?

Arguably, look at Blitz rate vs Pressure rate. You want them to be the same or pressure rate greater than blitz rate. This can then impact other stats like Depth of Target.

Top Defenses:
Ravens: Blitz: 22% (low) ; Pressure: 20% (Mid); DADOT, 7.7 (Mid)
Niners: Blitz: 18% (low) ; Pressure: 21% (Mid); DADOT 7.3 (low)
Chiefs: Blitz: 33% (high); Pressure: 28% (high); DADOT 7.4 (low)
Bills: Blitz: 23% (low); Pressure: 23% (mid); DADOT 6.8 (low)

Worst Defenses:
Commanders: Blitz: 26% (mid); Pressure: 17% (worst); DADOT 8.2 (high)
Cardinals: Blitz: 22% (low); Pressure 17% (2nd worst); DADOT 8.2 (high)
Panthers: Blitz: 29% (high); Pressure 17% (3rd worst); DADOT 7.3 (low)

Rams: Blitz: 24% (mid); Pressure 19% (low); DADOT 9.4 (Highest)

Stats just point to the obvious. Need to generate pressure
Ravens, Niners, Bills, have good lines. Can generate hurries without blitzing. Then forces the throws to be shorter. All their DADOT are mid to low.
Chiefs are different. They manufacture defense through their scheme. Teams know they are going to blitz and get home, so the ball comes out faster, hence the DADOT is low.

The worst defenses, don't manufacture pressure, not matter if they rush 4 or blitz. So QBs are not under pressure with less in the secondary so you tend to see higher DADOT.

Rams are win the same boat... not enough of the blitzes creating pressure, leaves the secondary undermanned for longer throws in the air. Except secondary giving up much longer throws compared to the worst defenses.
So, no surprise that people are saying Rams need an Edge or shore up the secondary. Both are probably right based on just stats alone.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I gripe about the tackling by the Rams and so do others. But I have to wonder..

Ramgator201January 15, 2024 08:13AM

Re: I gripe about the tackling by the Rams and so do others. But I have to wonder..

kw1375January 15, 2024 08:39AM

h2omelonhead44January 15, 2024 09:43AM

Re:it's how they tackle

mtramfan50January 15, 2024 10:16AM

Re: Re:it's how they tackle

Leoram41January 15, 2024 10:26AM

Re: Re:it's how they tackle

h2omelonhead34January 15, 2024 10:47AM