Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think he mainly is just consulting but here's an article from August

January 06, 2024 06:10AM
Rams43
But as far as I know, he has only made a cameo appearance as coach of the Rams offensive line. Coach Wendell, on the other hand, has been there 24 seven since day one.

So I credit coach Wendell, mostly, for the terrific job that Avila and Dotson have provided, not to mention Alaric Jackson, when healthy at left tackle.

This current Rams offensive line is light years ahead of what they have been in the recent past, no question. Therefore, I have no problem crediting the offensive line coach.

I wonder why he was brought in to begin with? I think Coach Wendy is doing the grunt part of the work but how much input has Munchak had this season. I am not sure we will ever know for sure but since he is still with us, I assume he is making some sort of contribution.

This is Wendy's first gig as OL coach isn't it? I am sure Munchak has helped him some since Munchak is a legend in the game. I think Munchak's input might more than some people think and he was brought in for a reason.

I like coach Wendy too but IMO, Munchak > Wendy. beer cheer smiley

Here's an article from August. It doesn't tell us much but here it is...

Legendary OL coach Mike Munchak was seen at Rams' practice on Monday

link

The Los Angeles Rams are in a transitional period along the offensive line, and Sean McVay has brought in a consultant who may know a thing or two about O-line play. During Monday’s practice session, Hall of Famer Mike Munchak was seen consulting with the Rams.

Jourdan Rodrigue
@JourdanRodrigue
·
Follow
Mike Munchak is on site consulting with the Rams for at least a couple days this week. McVay has been in touch with him since the early spring.
3:45 PM · Aug 14, 2023

Munchak played 12 seasons in the NFL (all with the Houston Oilers) and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001. After his successful playing career, Munchak remained with the Oilers and stayed with the organization through the name change to Titans, spending 14 years as the team’s offensive line coach from 1997 to 2010.

The former offensive guard would then become the head coach of the Titans from 2011 to 2013 before serving as the offensive line coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2014-2018) and most recently, the Denver Broncos (2019-2021).

The Rams are holding a competition at multiple spots along the offensive line and they have a new offensive line coach in Ryan Wendell. So having Munchak make an appearance and observe the offensive line could aid McVay and Mike LaFleur in the process of deciding the best five linemen for the upcoming season.

McVay has never shied away from trying to get insight from longtime coaches in the NFL, and he’s consulting with Munchak in hopes it could benefit the Rams’ offense this season.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 06:28AM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Mike Munchak - How much credit does he get for the OL's success?

Ramsdude261January 05, 2024 12:55PM

Re: Mike Munchak - How much credit does he get for the OL's success?

BerendsenRam79January 05, 2024 01:36PM

Has he been actually coaching the boys?

merlin111January 05, 2024 04:40PM

Re: Has he been actually coaching the boys?

LMU93104January 05, 2024 05:57PM

Seems like once they announced Munchak was involved.

den-the-coach71January 05, 2024 06:49PM

Munchak’s contributions are most welcome and much appreciated…

Rams4343January 06, 2024 06:01AM

I think he mainly is just consulting but here's an article from August

Ramsdude50January 06, 2024 06:10AM

Re: Munchak’s contributions are most welcome and much appreciated…

den-the-coach44January 06, 2024 06:17AM

Re: Munchak’s contributions are most welcome and much appreciated…

Rams4343January 06, 2024 07:21AM

From the original post and presser...

Ramsdude53January 06, 2024 08:12AM

Munchak has been a discreet addition? without much press coverage.

Florida_Ram74January 06, 2024 10:23AM