Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mason Crosby's cap hit: more to the story

December 14, 2023 03:24AM
As Arkansas Ram reports [ramsrule.com] , the cap hit from the contract Crosby signed is $80,500. And [overthecap.com] is still reporting that figure.

But that's his cap hit if he was with the Rams for the rest of the season. He was only with the team for one game, so he only gets one week's pay. And that, as far as I know, is what his cap hit actually is.

Since he was elevated to the active roster his pay for that game is based on the vet minimum, which for a player with 10 or more years of service is $1.165M. Crosby was paid 1/18th of that, or around $65,000. <== I'm fairly sure that's his cap hit.

Had he not been elevated he would have received one weeks pay based on his practice squad contract ... and that would have amounted to around $16,000.

... and there's reason to think that the Rams promoted Crosby simply to give him that extra $49,000.

Check this quote, reported by Jourdan Rodriguez in a recent Athletic article:

McVay, by the way, addressed the oddness of the Rams’ decision to sign Crosby to the practice squad, elevate him for Sunday’s game and then not activate him in favor of Havrisik, saying, “You look at it as a competition and Lucas earned the right to be kicking today based on what we saw throughout the course of the week … (the elevation) was based on conversations and expectations that we had set. We wanted to be able to follow through on our word to the people that were involved in bringing Mason in.”

McVay doesn't come out and say it, but my take is the Rams told Crosby that they'd promote him if he joined their practice squad.

AlbaNY_Ram

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2023 03:27AM by AlbaNY_Ram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Mason Crosby's cap hit: more to the story

AlbaNY_Ram252December 14, 2023 03:24AM

Re: Mason Crosby's cap hit: more to the story

Classicalwit87December 14, 2023 04:29AM

Thx AlbaNY.....still....

Arkansas Ram71December 14, 2023 06:53AM

mtramfan73December 14, 2023 07:02AM

AlbaNY_Ram91December 14, 2023 07:10AM